Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of course do The Nordic golfers prefer to play?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,
    I'm doing a project about new golf market segments for my masters programme. I was wondering what type of courses the Nordic countries like to play and what influences their choice of course? e.g. price, scenery, prestige?

Thank you so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

In Ireland they're looking at the links courses - in much the same way as the Americans, Scandinavian countries don't have links. Unlike the Americans, they can't play golf for much of the year because of the climate, so coming to Ireland in our 'winter' months is a breeze to them. I'm being flippant.

I know that Bearna in Galway which is a bogland/seaside course has direction posts in several languages, including at least one Scandinavian one.

I would suggest you call Ballyliffin and talk to them (John Farren is the Gen Mgr) as they recently launched a Swedish web page on their site for their 70 Swedish members. They could give you some insight.

Also talk to the golf team at Failte Ireland as they have been doing lots of research in recent years on volumes of golfers coming from abroad and why they come to Ireland - that goes for your France question too.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 golfer90

Thanks very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

The short answer is that the scenery would be the most important for a Nordic player, but then I would exclude the Swedish from that (as they have a completely different golf culture to the other Nordic countries)

Advertisement