Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown Swiss

• 10-03-2012 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Guys anyone have any expieriences with brown swiss cows? Positives or negatives thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I have some brown swiss with a few years I find some of the pure breed a bit softish like the holstin they grow to big cows and have a quite nature
    the swiss crosses are hardier .
    Like any other dairy cow the can produce milk but it all comes down to the breeding and feeding.
    Have often had someone calling to the yard for something or other and asking me how do you find the jerseys despite the fact they are twice their size.
    Why are you thinking of getting them.
    Scandinavian reds make good crosses also

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Have two, one out of a montbeliarde cow and one out of a friesian. They have good fertiity and are good milkers. One is a bit of a kicker but she's quiet otherwise. Progressive dont have any BS bulls in there catalogue this year. :(
    The pic is the one out of the MO cow the other one not pictured is lighter in colour and lankier.
    Have a look at their website http://www.brownswiss.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

djmc wrote: »
    I have some brown swiss with a few years I find some of the pure breed a bit softish like the holstin they grow to big cows and have a quite nature
    the swiss crosses are hardier .
    Like any other dairy cow the can produce milk but it all comes down to the breeding and feeding.
    Have often had someone calling to the yard for something or other and asking me how do you find the jerseys despite the fact they are twice their size.
    Why are you thinking of getting them.
    Scandinavian reds make good crosses also

There is a farmer selling out
    Next week he has pedigree brown Swiss from a 1500 gallon herd, I'm thinking a few of them might be worth a chance as they may be reasonable price as guys might not take the chance with them, any idea how they would cross back with an ai Fresian holstien bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Next week he has pedigree brown Swiss from a 1500 gallon herd, I'm thinking a few of them might be worth a chance as they may be reasonable price as guys might not take the chance with them, any idea how they would cross back with an ai Fresian holstien bull?

Where is this sale at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Finno59 wrote: »

Where is this sale at?

In Dungarvan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I had a few crossbreds a few years ago. They were b***ards to get them to drink. Ended up tubing one for 6 weeks. But maybe it was that one bull i used. Heard they were soft enough on feet too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we have a few NRX heifers calved this year, mostly from MO and MOX cows

they seems to be milking well, they are quite, but a couple of them do the riverdance mostly when taking off the clusters but it's not an issue

fertility,docility, and ease of management are very important traits in my view, so far the NRX provide this

Advertisement