Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.80 soft drinks... no thanks

Options
  • 10-03-2012 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Spar on dame street

was in there and it was €1.79 for a bottle of coke

No ****ing way did I pay that. That's just insane. It's €1.50 - €1.59 in any normal shops i've been in recently

€1.79 is an absolute piss take

I walked out and gave another store my custom, but tbh the shop neither know nor care why I left. I'm sure they're not losing sleep over it, i'm just one person

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

you're as well off with out it-tastes like bog water plus it causes cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

milehip1 wrote: »
    you're as well off with out it-tastes like bog water plus it causes cancer.

It causes cancer? you sure? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are making changes to the production of an ingredient in their namesake colas to avoid the need to label the packages with a cancer warning

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0309/cocacola.html

They say it causes cancer in animals - so what can it do to the human variety .

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

An FDA spokesman said a person would have to drink "well over a thousand cans of soda a day to reach the doses administered in the studies that have shown links to cancer in rodents".

If you're drinking a thousand cans a day, I'd say the sugar and caffeine will probably get you first. Either that or the epic burp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Yeah but they say that everything causes cancer these days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Spar on dame street

was in there and it was €1.79 for a bottle of coke

No ****ing way did I pay that. That's just insane. It's €1.50 - €1.59 in any normal shops i've been in recently

€1.79 is an absolute piss take

I walked out and gave another store my custom, but tbh the shop neither know nor care why I left. I'm sure they're not losing sleep over it, i'm just one person

wow 20 cent more that has to be the biggest rip off of all time....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

lala88 wrote: »

It's a joke for a soft-drink. They're €1.19 in Dunnes/Tesco, €1.50 standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Im frugal myself and generally avoid buying stuff at small shops like that, but if I needed the drink Id probably buy it at 20 cent difference , what gets me is you can buy 2litres of the same drink in a supermarket, ie same price for a lot of 150ml drink of water/500ml of coke, a 2l cost about same in a supermarket.

All the same I support the OPs right to choose where and what to buy based on price, if more did it, maybe some places would be forced to bring some prices down.

Merch wrote: »
    Im frugal myself and generally avoid buying stuff at small shops like that, but if I needed the drink Id probably buy it at 20 cent difference , what gets me is you can buy 2litres of the same drink in a supermarket, ie same price for a lot of 150ml drink of water/500ml of coke, a 2l cost about same in a supermarket.

All the same I support the OPs right to choose where and what to buy based on price, if more did it, maybe some places would be forced to bring some prices down.

They should be forced to bring down there prices?! Oh ya i forgot theres a recession so shops should just give things away...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

convenience stores are called that for a reason !!!

you pay for the convenience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

i remember the days running down to the garage and getting a 500ml Diet coke & Mars kingsize for £1

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

nothing compared to soft drinks in pubs why can't they be tap like in the uk, its the same price as booze here.

In spar and the like I'd buy water if I didn't bring it with me, thats a rip off, annoying how tesco and dunnes don't sell small bottles of their cheap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bring back supercans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

saa wrote: »
    nothing compared to soft drinks in pubs why can't they be tap like in the uk

Becuase coke won't supply it to pubs here and pepsi on tap tastes like muck. Any pub that has coke on tap here gets it from the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

They should be forced to bring down there prices?! Oh ya i forgot theres a recession so shops should just give things away...

I didnt say they/anyone should be forced to do anything,like you are suggesting, I said i support the OPs right to buy what they want where they want at what they deem to be the right/a fair price price, even if i think walking away for 20 cent is pushing it.if thats the case then they will be obliged to do it, its not like some one is going in with a gun to their heads to change the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

some places charging 2.50 for a can of monster, others as little as 1.70:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Is there a legal reason why pubs do not serve soft drinks from the tap... to be charged €2.60 for a tonic water in a pub is crazy...
    As for soft drinks ....in shops it just does not make sense at all the price difference, but then again if people did not pay the price , less demand, they might review their prices..,Rip off Ireland indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Is there a legal reason why pubs do not serve soft drinks from the tap...
    For most pubs, the outlay is not worth it I'm told (another discussion on another forum on boards.ie).
    Berns wrote: »
    i remember the days running down to the garage and getting a 500ml Diet coke & Mars kingsize for £1

That makes me feel old :(

But how about the mini cans of coke they sold for 30p ?

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Is there a legal reason why pubs do not serve soft drinks from the tap... to be charged €2.60 for a tonic water in a pub is crazy...
    As for soft drinks ....in shops it just does not make sense at all the price difference, but then again if people did not pay the price , less demand, they might review their prices..,Rip off Ireland indeed...

Because Coke don't have to supply it to them.

the_syco wrote: »
    For most pubs, the outlay is not worth it I'm told (another discussion on another forum on boards.ie)
    I would think for quite a few pubs it would be worth it, if they could guarantee a regular supply from coke, after all, there are quite a few pubs in Dublin City with Pepsi on tap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I thought food products weren't to be increased in VAT? convenience stores always take the complete p!ss

david75 wrote: »
    I thought food products weren't to be increased in VAT? convenience stores always take the complete p!ss

Last time i checked Coke was not a food

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Becuase coke won't supply it to pubs here

Because coke won't supply it isn't a very good reason.. why won't they booo.
    Was in a pub before that sold coke cans for a euro, sure that'll do when you're already buying the shots.

saa wrote: »
    Because coke won't supply it isn't a very good reason.. why won't they booo.
    Was in a pub before that sold coke cans for a euro, sure that'll do when you're already buying the shots.

I know, it's an awful reason, but I'd blame coke not the publicans on this one, if they source it themselves, then they have to bear the full financial burden of installing and maintaining equipment, which, unless you have a very high turnover, just doesn't make financial sense. I don't know why coke will supply bars here, when they will in the uk. Unfortunately the bar associations won't lobby Coca Cola, simply because they make such a large profit on glass bottles. :mad:

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I know, it's an awful reason, but I'd blame coke not the publicans on this one

I know and Coke is such a large company they'd have no chance, we just have to pay the brunt while Coke profits, we're out of pocket and the publicans are struggling to stay open even with their high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

david75 wrote: »

Only basic foodstuffs are VAT exempt. Drinks along with nearly everything else sold in a convenience store apart from the deli are considered a luxury item and are liable for VAT at the full rate.

Convenience stores are smaller operations - who don't enjoy the same economies of scale that a large supermarket site would, usually paying a middle man (musgraves or BWG etc) a percentage premium for their stock plus at times a percentage of their turnover to fund chain advertising, at other times paying a further 5-6% of turnover to their ultimate funder (a lot of Spar sites are financed by one individual in the background who effectively leases the sites to owner operators. In short the cost base is a hell of a lot higher hence the price differences.

When you're walking down the main street in your town on a hot day and fancy a bottle of coke you can of course get yourself to the nearest big supermarket or you can look at the extra 50 cent as money well spent to have that bottle of coke in your hand in 30 seconds time instead and go to the convenience store. That's how I look at it anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Common sense has no place in a rant about rip off shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember when a can was 32p, a supercan was 50p, a marathon was 28p and Taytos were 12p
    And away with your Starburst, they will always be Opal Fruits to me

Bought a bag of crisps in a pub recently. What the hell are Kings crisps, where are Taytos gone??
    And the barman charged me 1.10, now that's inflation :eek:

Add me to that list of posters feeling old :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I remember when a can was 32p, a supercan was 50p, a marathon was 28p and Taytos were 12p
    And away with your Starburst, they will always be Opal Fruits to me

Bought a bag of crisps in a pub recently. What the hell are Kings crisps, where are Taytos gone??
    And the barman charged me 1.10, now that's inflation :eek:

And me to that list of posters feeling old :D
    I remember Tayto for 7p and peanuts for 5p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Berns wrote: »

I remember the days when the minimum wage was fook all!

Advertisement