Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.80 soft drinks... no thanks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I remember the days when the minimum wage was fook all!
    When £2 an hour was "pretty good for a 16 year old". And 12 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday was busy in the kitchens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Shop in Waterford charged me 2.10 for a small bottle of lucozade sport. Now that's what you call a rip off and a big profit for that shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

even worse when you go to sporting events. €2.50 in leopardstown racecourse, I'd rather die of thirst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Convenience stores are smaller operations - who don't enjoy the same economies of scale that a large supermarket site would, usually paying a middle man (musgraves or BWG etc) a percentage premium for their stock plus at times a percentage of their turnover to fund chain advertising, at other times paying a further 5-6% of turnover to their ultimate funder (a lot of Spar sites are financed by one individual in the background who effectively leases the sites to owner operators. In short the cost base is a hell of a lot higher hence the price differences.

When you're walking down the main street in your town on a hot day and fancy a bottle of coke you can of course get yourself to the nearest big supermarket or you can look at the extra 50 cent as money well spent to have that bottle of coke in your hand in 30 seconds time instead and go to the convenience store. That's how I look at it anyway. :)

This poster has it exactly right . , - plus of course the more the retailer can buy the cheaper it is .

Did you know that Tesco buy a full trailer-load of toilet roll at a time , whereas a convenience store cannot do this .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats a disgrace, a litre of milk is 30c cheaper in Tesco's!!
    We sell 100 Litres a week. Tesco's sell 1,000,000 Litres a week. Who do you think gets the bigger discounts?? I do hope you enjoy your 25 minute walk to Tesco's. If you're heading up by car, don't forget to avoid the school, the traffic will be terrible right now and don't forget to top up the oul petrol tank with the 50c of Petrol you just used getting there.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

This poster has it exactly right . , - plus of course the more the retailer can buy the cheaper it is .

Did you know that Tesco buy a full trailer-load of toilet roll at a time , whereas a convenience store cannot do this .

I guess that explains why most other 'convenience' stores around sell the same drinks for €1.50 then ;)

I also know that a tray of coke bottles cost €10-€12 for 24 bottles

sold at even €1 makes a nice profit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I guess that explains why most other 'convenience' stores around sell the same drinks for €1.50 then ;)

I also know that a tray of coke bottles cost €10-€12 for 24 bottles

sold at even €1 makes a nice profit

Where ??

Depending on where I get it I can get coke for €13.99 to €16.49 ex vat - ie add 23% to that cost price. If you know somewhere where you can get trays of coke bottles for a tenner vat in you could open a wholesalers yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Where ??

Depending on where I get it I can get coke for €13.99 to €16.49 ex vat - ie add 23% to that cost price. If you know somewhere where you can get trays of coke bottles for a tenner vat in you could open a wholesalers yourself !

You don't add VAT to cost price because it's offset when product sold at retail.
    So cost price works out at 58c to 69c per bottle. Selling for €1.59 leaves the retailer with €1.29 per bottle after VAT is paid which is a nice margin on that one item.

Ruen wrote: »
    Where ??

You don't add VAT to cost price because it's offset when product sold at retail.
    So cost price works out at 58c to 69c per bottle. Selling for €1.59 leaves the retailer with €1.29 per bottle after VAT is paid which is a nice margin on that one item.

The poster I was addressing quoted the cost price of a tray of coke as 10-12 euro and went on to mention a sale price of 1.00 euro. Since there was a sale price mentioned inclusive of vat it's reasonable to assume the cost price referred to was also vat inclusive. Even if it wasn't it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the prices we pay at the moment.

As for the vat being offset its not as simple as that. Vat on the sale price includes vat on the margin the retailer has made on the product. But that's just me being pedantic :)

Coke is probably one of the worst examples to pick though as being an example of a typical product margin in a convenience store so all these figures are going to scream rip off taken out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

These kind of shops are the kind of places that took advantage of the Vat increase.
    I haven't been to the Spar in Ballsbridge in a couple of years - but I know that was the worst of the lot.

You have to search to find a can for 1euro or under. Many places 1.10 a pop now.

On a reminiscent note. I remember the green tint to the 500ml bottles when they came out first. And I recall the standard price was 69p :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

If you wander into a pub the rip-off is tenfold, I usually get charged between €2.25 and €2.80 for the small bottle of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Calibos wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

He's spot on, duuno why you're :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mmcn90 wrote: »
    but I'd blame coke not the publicans on this one, if they source it themselves, then they have to bear the full financial burden of installing and maintaining equipment, which, unless you have a very high turnover, just doesn't make financial sense.
    I still blame the publicans for not thinking of other alternatives. There is nothing to stop them buying 2L bottles of coke and offering it instead of splash. They can still have the 200ml bottles for those who still want them. I have been to a few pubs with 2L bottles, you see it more in "club pubs" like rugby or GAA team bars, but a few publicans/barmen posted in other threads saying they do it.

A pint of coke in my local would be €8.55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Bring back supercans :)

Pepsi-max have 440ml cans out the last while.. 1 euro, bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I paid €3 for a small bottle of coke In the point (O2) the other night I thought that was a big rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

as a retailer i can only tell you that i have to pay staff wages , heating ,water rates .business rates ,insurance and refuse ,esb telephone ,and constantly have to listen to people moan good enough for anyone willing to pay high costs i sell coke cans @ 50 c and sell almost all cadburys and nestle bars for the same but i can tell you io have to listen to the same moaning and bull**** from the public, i have to listen to just about every type of **** ie people asking whats wrong with the items checking dates etc bah humbug to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

vinn wrote: »
    as a retailer i can only tell you that i have to pay staff wages , heating ,water rates .business rates ,insurance and refuse ,esb telephone ,and constantly have to listen to people moan good enough for anyone willing to pay high costs i sell coke cans @ 50 c and sell almost all cadburys and nestle bars for the same but i can tell you io have to listen to the same moaning and bull**** from the public, i have to listen to just about every type of **** ie people asking whats wrong with the items checking dates etc bah humbug to you all

Maybe you're in the wrong line of work with that attitude.

lee3155 wrote: »
    Shop in Waterford charged me 2.10 for a small bottle of lucozade sport. Now that's what you call a rip off and a big profit for that shop.

rrp is around €2

Maybe you're in the wrong line of work with that attitude.

maybe people need to realise what a rip off actually is, and stop moaning about stupid sh1t

ie people asking whats wrong with the items checking dates etc
    If it is happening so much I'd put a sign up explaining any commonly asked questions.

I was saying this in another thread about laser card charges, I would put a sign up explaining it.

But I reckon these retailers won't since they love a good whinge as much as the whingers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

jaysus at them prices your selling at a loss . no wonder your p***ed off

If you are capable of selling almost all cadburys and nestle bars for 50c VAT included you should start a wholesale business. You're cheaper than our suppliers for a start.

maybe people need to realise what a rip off actually is, and stop moaning about stupid sh1t

Why are you quoting me?

You're cheaper than our suppliers for a start.
    You want to find a new supplier so. Most €2 shops will have popular bars for 50c or 5 for €2, and cheap cans. I presume they source them from NI wholesalers or something. The coke is cheap too, often UK market coke.

I think retailers here need to do some shopping around for their suppliers. I am sick to death of hearing publicans moaning about below cost selling -just because centra sell beer at almost half the price of what some stupid idiot publican pays a distributor does not mean centra are selling below cost. It more likely means the distributor is pissing their pants laughing at the fools who pay it. Nobody is doing a weekly shop in centra so the below cost marketing technique would not be used there.

Why are you quoting me?

because i saw into the future and knew you'd quote me so i wanted to get in there first

because i saw into the future and knew you'd quote me so i wanted to get in there first

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I paid €3 for a small bottle of coke In the point (O2) the other night I thought that was a big rip off

I'm sorry but I have to ask. If you thought the price was way too high, why did you buy the bottle of coke?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I never buy drinks from these Spar/corner shop stores anymore because it would sicken me to hand over such money. Especially when Buy-Lo sells SIX cans of Lucozade for only 2euro and 24 cans of coke for just 10euro,its far better to buy them in bulk from there or Aldi etc, saves you a lot over a month.

StudentDad wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have to ask. If you thought the price was way too high, why did you buy the bottle of coke?

SD

Because it's a rip off!!!!!!111

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work in a supermarket and I was in the cash and carry the other day. I couldn't get over the price of party type stuff. ie cans of soft drinks, boxes of crisps and sweets. The supermarket is much cheaper.

I know the packets of crisps are bigger in the cash and carry boxes. 37g v 25g in the miltipacks in the supermarket.

Advertisement