Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overly sensitive hearing

• 10-03-2012 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced a painful pop in their ear/ears from high pitched beeps and other noises? I am a 26 year old and I regularly find noises like the beep at a supermarket cash register REALLY painful. If I mention it to anyone I'm with at the time they don't even notice the sound.

I am also convinced that it has been contributing to migraines for years, and I just never connected the two until recently. If I'm in the wind with no hat I'll get a headache too.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or thinks its worth going to the doctor about, or do I just have sensitive hearing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have sensitive hearing (the hearing of a 4 year old), but not that sensitive.

As we get older, we tend to lose the ability to hear high pitched sounds.

It would be useful to discuss it with your GP and get a hearing test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd check with the doctor too.

There is a condition called Hyperacusis. It's the oversensitivity to sound.

As I said, go to your doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katieee

Hmm thank you, yes I may go to doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

This is a problem that many people with hearing loss have. Not that you have hearing loss.
    You might often hear/see an old person ask for someone to repeat something and then when the person repeats loudly the old person will say the person spoke too loud.
    I have mild/moderate hearing loss and I've noticed that my ears are v sensitive to high pitched noises, like the noise of a motor bike deafens me or even when something clatters, it really almost 'hurts' my ears.

Advertisement