Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Build with Live TV, €400 Budget

Options
  • 10-03-2012 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget?
    €400 approx, could probably go to €500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? HTPC with Live TV

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I *think* I can use an old Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 which was in a build that died. I'm nearly sure it was the motherboard and the chip itself is fine but who knows? Would I still be able to buy a motherboard with a compatible chipset or am I better off buying new CPU+Mobo?

5. Do you need a monitor? No, will plug into Lidl bought MIRAI DTL-632E500 - 32" LCD TV via HDMI.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Good HTPC Remote Control and receiver in HTPC case. Will just use the TV speakers, no room for anything fancy.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card and Bank Transfer for Hardwareversand

9. When are you purchasing? Want to be watching TV by the end of this month, March, so basically ASAP.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Ennis but I was hoping hardwareversand might assemble it, do they do this for smaller form factors as well? I could probably manage it myself if I had to.

Right, with the Digital Switchover I want to use it as an excuse to build a HTPC with Live TV for home. I still live with my parents (Yes, what of it?!) so it needs to be easy enough for them to use. I'm planning on running Win7 with XMBC Eden and DVBViewer for Live TV. I'm hoping to get the Dual DVB-T/DVB-S tuner card (http://shop.blackgold.tv/BGT3600) from Blackgold but they look hard to come by. So any in stock alternative would be handy. DVBviewer can take advantage of Nvidia CUDA so that might be handy when picking a graphics card. Reliable Live TV is first and foremost, this can't crash when the auld lad is settling down to watch the 100m Athletics this Summer!

I'll probably get a 2TB hard drive for media, a 32GB SSD with the software for quick boot and 4GB ram seeing as it's so cheap. There's a big compartment underneath the TV so the case can afford to be pretty big. Noise might be an issue, the quieter the better. Is all this possible for €400? Any advice would be much appreciated. I know this might be better suited to the HTPC forum but it's pretty quiet in there!

Comments

Advertisement