Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are right to a certain extent, pixels are not the only important metric but all else being equal more means higher definition. The pixel count above a certain point is only relevant to how large a physical print you are likely to ever want to have made.

My phone has a 5mp camera and at 300 dpi I could print up to 8.5 x 6.4 inches. If I was making prints that size or smaller using files taken with a 10 MP camera I wouldn't be gaining anything (all other things being equal), but if I wanted to print larger sizes than that, 10MP images would be advantageous.

The size of the sensor is generally more closely related to image quality than pixel count and the quality of the lens probably more than the sensor size.

RAW is advantageous if you are post-processing the images to get the most out of them. Some cameras have really good JPEG engines in them that reduce the advantages of tweaking images taken in RAW as photos are pretty good straight out of the camera.

I would say that the criteria that determine 'quality photos' would go in this order: photographer, subject, lens, sensor, post processing (RAW), pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

GhanGee wrote: »
    so it is D80 I decided for, I am far from being a photographer and am still playing with it trying to figure out what is what, but I love its function buttons and knobs on the body of the camera that allow me to quickly change everything I need when I want to go manual. 2 lenses, 15-55 f3.5-5.6 VR and 70-300 4-5.6 (at least does Autofocus on D80 it wouldn't on D3100 :D) , not the best ones but good for learning.
    Great tutorials on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP10qcgLIfs&feature=relmfu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Just got myself Nikon D3100 & I want to get a lens that will work for rugby/hurling games & photos when i'm in Glendalough for example.
    I'm probably asking for too much..
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

18-300 if you can afford it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

+1 for dharn's suggestion of a 18-300 if within budget.
    Other options are 18-200 or 55-300
    Enjoy :)
    megapixel wrote: »
    Just got myself Nikon D3100 & I want to get a lens that will work for rugby/hurling games & photos when i'm in Glendalough for example.
    I'm probably asking for too much..
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ZippyDee

Hello all! I need to upgrade from my bridge camera - want to take higher quality shots and low light etc and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I want to make sure I get a good quality body that I can keep using and upgrading lenses with over time. I was hoping to find one for under 600e and maybe then get a portrait prime lens later? A bit lost with all the brands etc!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've got the option to upgrade to a Canon 60D from my 550D. Is it worth the extra cost and hassle of selling my 550 to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

I'm looking into a reasonably good macro lens with suitable range in it.
    I have looked into the Sigma DG APO 70-300 f/ 4-5.6, but after reading a few reviews it seems to be bad in low light conditions.
    Any thoughts on this? and any other similar lenses to be recommended?

Macro lenses are usually fixed focal length, not zooms.

So are you after a real macro lens or a zoom that just focuses fairly close?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

cnocbui wrote: »
    Macro lenses are usually fixed focal length, not zooms.

So are you after a real macro lens or a zoom that just focuses fairly close?

That, I didn't know.

Probably the latter. Yet I don't mind fixed focal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

as the above title suggests I'm looking to buy my first DSLR. But as there are so many types and variants out there I'm completely lost!!.
    I have a Nikon Coolpix S8000, got it a little over two years ago when it first came out, a great little camera
    So have decided to go into the world of DSLR, always had an interest in photography.
    Can anyone recommend a good camera for upper limit of €500-€550. Would like to stay with Nikon but would look at other brands if the quality was better.

Thanks in advance.
    Ron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Just looking for a bit of advice re a camera purchase.
    Reason for puchase are
    1: better zoom (take photos of kids performance from back of hall)
    2. better general picture quality (coming from 5mp point and shoot )
    3. Experiment with taking better photos (manual focus maybe)
    Requirements
    1. Not a dslr. Camera is to be used by wife as well, and I can't be dealing with the complaints about changing lenses.

So after searching around, I came to the
    cannon powershot sx 40 hs http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/compactcameras/129197/1/canon-powershot-sx40-hs-review.html
    and sony cybershot hx200v http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/compactcameras/129301/1/sony-cybershot-hx200v-review.html.

Both around the same price.
    Are there any recommended sites for purchases ; read recently about dodgy cards on ebay?
    Thanks for the opinions

I have an old Canon A530 and I'm just wondering if somebody could suggest a replacement? We only take about fifty photos a year. Mostly while on holiday during the summer and of birthday parties, festivities etc. Very mild use to be honest. Don't know what that says about our family but if someone could proffer a suggestion I'd be very grateful lads! Thanks for any replies! :)

Oh cripes I should have posted in the sub-forum! Sorry...can a mod please move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

It all comes down to your budget. How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Looking to buy a bridge or entry level digital SLR. Argos currently have this on sale - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594827/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7C19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419441%7CDigital+SLR+cameras%7C14419500.htm
    Nikon D3100 14mp with AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens

Reviews on photography websites seem to be all good.

Just thought I would check in here for any opinions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's a perfectly fine entry level SLR. However I would recommend you try one out before you buy, you might not like the ergonomics of a particular model or brand.

Don't be afraid to go into a camera shop and haggle.

I have one and I'm happy with it.
    I agree with 5uspect's comments about try before you buy and haggling. Argos will not allow you to do that whereas a camera shop will.

Looking to buy a bridge or entry level digital SLR. Argos currently have this on sale - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594827/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7C19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419441%7CDigital+SLR+cameras%7C14419500.htm

It all comes down to your budget. How much do you want to spend?

Up to a hundred euro. Was looking at the canon a2400 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

Up to a hundred euro. Was looking at the canon a2400 on Amazon.

When looking at the low price range you can't go far wrong with Canon.

But maybe the Canon PowerShot SX150 would suit better - much wider zoom range - a bit more, around ~£100

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

Hi,

Im looking to buy a digital camera for a Christmas present and I am just looking for some advice on what make/model to buy.

Nothing too expensive but a good one all the same.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

If you're looking for something bigger than a handbag compact camera, then you can't go wrong with this.

Bought one just recently for a wedding at the weekend. Pics are great quality and it's easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

You've read this I suppose http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77520428&postcount=1

Define "Nothing too expensive" ie. what's your max spend?
    chrisr wrote: »
    Hi,

Im looking to buy a digital camera for a Christmas present and I am just looking for some advice on what make/model to buy.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

less than 400

Nice budget! You looking at a compact, bridge or a DSLR? A few posts up they're discussing a Nikon D3100 that would be within your budget.
    less than 400

Cardex wrote: »
    If you're looking for something bigger than a handbag compact camera, then you can't go wrong with this.

Bought one just recently for a wedding at the weekend. Pics are great quality and it's easy to use.

Whats the difference between the bridge (see link) and a slr?

http://bit.ly/SJuBib
    Whats the difference between the bridge (see link) and a slr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

It's a very good camera and at that price a great bargin. In fact I picked one up today for my daughter. Last year I had decided to get this DSLR but due to lack of availabilty it could not be got anywhere in time for Xmas. I made a promise to get it this year if she was still keen on getting into photography and when I seen the price in Argos I jumped on it. I got the last one out of the Liffey Valley store this afternoon for €365.....:D
    Still selling in most Bricks & Mortar shops for €500 plus. The wife is giving me grief for splashing cash we did not have but it was a no-brainer to me. I will gladly go short till payday to get this Xmas present out of the way. The money saved will easily allow for a nice camera bag and memory card.

For the more knowledgeble folks in here are there any other items I should be on the look out for. Someone in work mentioned about getting a UV Filter which would help improve shots and protect the lens. ?????

Any suggestions welcomed

Anyone have any thoughts on below. First camera, and Conns cameras have some good deals with each camera. Also anyone have any problems dealing with Conns Cameras. Opinions/Advice much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
    Ron

http://www.connscameras.ie/canon-eos-1100d/p-8714574570044pd.html

http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3100/p-018208919529pd.html

I've a D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 35mm f1.8 prime lens. Very happy with it.
    (Can't comment on the Canon or Conns.)
    Anyone have any thoughts on below. First camera, and Conns cameras have some good deals with each camera. Also anyone have any problems dealing with Conns Cameras. Opinions/Advice much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
    Ron

http://www.connscameras.ie/canon-eos-1100d/p-8714574570044pd.html

http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3100/p-018208919529pd.html

• Advertisement

Hi,

C
    An Olympus XZ-1 (the new 2 is too expensive):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-1-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko/dp/B004G8QSTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349856245&sr=8-3

or the Panasonic Gf5 http://www.laskys.com/cameras_and_camcorders/cameras/digital_slr_cameras/panasonic_dmc_gf5keb_k.html?cm_mmc=Affwin-_-Feed-_-Digital_Slr_Cameras-_-543391&refid=affil&referred_site=aw&_$ja=tsid:6094|prd:73258

Advertisement