Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Macker1 wrote: »
    For the more knowledgeble folks in here are there any other items I should be on the look out for. Someone in work mentioned about getting a UV Filter which would help improve shots and protect the lens. ?????

Any suggestions welcomed

UV filters won't help and will most likely hinder, causing a lot more flare in many shooting situations. They used to help with film at high altitudes. Nearly all filters noticeably degrade image quality to some degree.

A lens hood - if it doesn't have one - would be more beneficial. After that would be a flash you can bounce of the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera, I'm starting a videography coarse and want to get a good camera, currently I use Sony Vegas for editing and my plan is to get into the wedding market down the line.

So what I'd like is a camera that can take very good pics and has loads of different features like time lapsing and so on and can take crystal clear hd video. I'm willing to spend €1,000 but would like to get a nice lens in that price, if I can't ill spend another 100-200!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Read this post (especially the last paragraph) and follow the links...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77520428&postcount=1
    stedabee wrote: »
    Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera, I'm starting a videography coarse and want to get a good camera, currently I use Sony Vegas for editing and my plan is to get into the wedding market down the line.

So what I'd like is a camera that can take very good pics and has loads of different features like time lapsing and so on and can take crystal clear hd video. I'm willing to spend €1,000 but would like to get a nice lens in that price, if I can't ill spend another 100-200!

A Panasonic GH3 or the GH2, are about as good as it gets for video in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blacksasha

Hi Guys. I am thinking of buying a new camera soon, what's your thoughts on the Nikon Coolpix P510

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

blacksasha wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I am thinking of buying a new camera soon, what's your thoughts on the Nikon Coolpix P510

its a really good reliable camera, i like it a lot and think its one of the best in the current range:)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

cnocbui wrote: »
    A Panasonic GH3 or the GH2, are about as good as it gets for video in that price range.

Have done a bit of research and the gh3 seems to be very good! Cannot find the price anywhere ??? Is the camera even on sale yet? I can only get a price for the gh2 and that's between €650-€1100

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blacksasha

Papillon! wrote: »
    its a really good reliable camera, i like it a lot and think its one of the best in the current range:)
    Thank's papillon, for your reply.

Have done a bit of research and the gh3 seems to be very good! Cannot find the price anywhere ??? Is the camera even on sale yet? I can only get a price for the gh2 and that's between €650-€1100
    It may not be yet. The GH2 will be cheaper and is still the best affordable option available now.

Zacuto did a controlled test with multiple camera types which included: GH2, Sony F65, Red Epic, Canon C300 and Arri Alexa

The footage was shown to an audience of experienced cinamatographers, including Francis Ford Coppola, without the audience knowing which camera was used to shoot the footage. They then voted on which footage they thought the best. The GH2 footage was the most voted for: http://vimeo.com/45757783

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Hi there,

Im looking to buy a new Digital Camera, seeing as the last one was sand/water damaged during the summer. It was a Panasonic Lumix FS35.

Want something around the 100 euro mark that take good shots, just for holidays, special occasions etc

Would appreciate any help - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Hi all, I know feck all about photography, but I'm considering getting a better camera for my gf for Christmas.
    She currently has a Nikon coolpix or something cheapy with a busted zoom.
    She likes taking pics of small stuff in nature, but also of people, weddings, - general stuff.
    She bemoans how crap her camera is, but doesn't have any courses done or anything, so I wonder if a dslr is too much of a jump for her, or on the other hand if anything less won't allow her to do what she wants.
    My budget for this is about 200 ideally but if that's unrealistic to get something worthwhile then I'd reconsider.
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Eta. Digital obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

johnr1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I know feck all about photography, but I'm considering getting a better camera for my gf for Christmas.
    She currently has a Nikon coolpix or something cheapy with a busted zoom.
    She likes taking pics of small stuff in nature, but also of people, weddings, - general stuff.
    She bemoans how crap her camera is, but doesn't have any courses done or anything, so I wonder if a dslr is too much of a jump for her, or on the other hand if anything less won't allow her to do what she wants.
    My budget for this is about 200 ideally but if that's unrealistic to get something worthwhile then I'd reconsider.
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Eta. Digital obviously.

I am interested in same sort of price range also for the other half so would be interested in seeing what replies come back .

I was looking at the Samsung Wb150. Good price for a well reviewed camera and 20x optical zoom.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-WB150-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B007JSZX30/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351344582&sr=1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

What does everyone think of the Nikon 5100? Tempted to get this deal on Pixmania.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9691496/art/nikon/d5100-af-s-vr-dx-18-55-mm.html

What does everyone think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i recently bought the nikon 3100 and am absolutely delighted with it so the 5100 should be even better but try local shops birminghams or conn and they might come close to pixmania price as there after sales service is terrible if anything goes wrong they are based in france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

dharn wrote: »
    i recently bought the nikon 3100 and am absolutely delighted with it so the 5100 should be even better but try local shops birminghams or conn and they might come close to pixmania price as there after sales service is terrible if anything goes wrong they are based in france

Thanks for that, I might shop around next week and see. I'm dying to get my hands on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

About 3 years ago I bought a Canon 1000D. Now realising the limitations of this entry level DLSR. I was considering going the whole hog and buying the 6D when it comes out but I really can't afford it. I am now thinking about the 650D. Does anyone have any experience of this camera or is there anyone who uses Canon who have an opinion on this camera?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It really depends what lenses you have. The sensor isn't much better on the 650D compared to the 1000D. The AF might be faster but ultimately you need the right lens for what you're shooting.

What do you shoot and what about the 1000D is holding you back?

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    What does everyone think of the Nikon 5100? Tempted to get this deal on Pixmania.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9691496/art/nikon/d5100-af-s-vr-dx-18-55-mm.html

What does everyone think?

Amazon have the d5100 for about 507 euro.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-18-55mm-VR-Lens-Kit/dp/B004U4UHTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352044572&sr=8-1

amazon price comes to 547 with postage, why not support local irish supplier birminghams cameras http://berminghamcameras.ie/nikon-d5100-and-18-55mm-af-s-g-vr.html 534

amazon price comes to 547 with postage, why not support local irish supplier birminghams cameras http://berminghamcameras.ie/nikon-d5100-and-18-55mm-af-s-g-vr.html 534

Not true. It qualifies for free delivery.

I have been shocked at the relative markup in bricks and mortar shops in Ireland.
    Particularly when it comes to accessories.

• Advertisement

not to where im living free postage uk only, i have an amazon account and when i put that camera in to shopping basket it works out dearer than birminghams, you comment re accessories is spot on, thats where they seem to make their money

not to where im living free postage uk only, i have an amazon account and when i put that camera in to shopping basket it works out dearer than birminghams, you comment re accessories is spot on, thats where they seem to make their money

It is coming up free for me to Ireland, if you proceed with the purchase.
    I'd say since amazon is a uk retailer, that it should qualify for the 65 euro christmas cashback too.

That difference would go along way towards.
    The 35 mm dx prime lens, which is coming in at around 145 after cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

Hi,

What does everyone think of the new Olympus SP-810UZ,

Only going to be used for holidays and some wildlife shots

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

have 200 ish euro to spend on a camera for the girlfriend for Christmas...

shes neevr had a decent camera before.

Wants one WITH a lens thingy on the front.

I know zero about cameras.

If you had 200-250 to spend on a camera what would you buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

if you are talking about DSLR, your budget will only cover second hand items. if you can stretch your budget a little, you could get the canon entry level 1100D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-1100D-Digital-Camera-3-5-5-6/dp/B004MPQXZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352318570&sr=8-1

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/search/canon-eos-1100d

This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-1-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko/dp/B004G8QSTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352416824&sr=8-3

When Dpreview reviewed it they gave it a gold award, which they reserve for only the very best.

or this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GF3-Compact-14-42mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0057LZHBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352416745&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flyer2010

Whopping price difference Panasonic GH3!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry I am not going to support Irish brick and mortar camera shops any more!!!
    See below links.
    Crazy price differences!
    Camera centre Dublin GH3 body only €1899.99
    GH3 with 12-35 2.8 lenskit €2999.99
    Foto Hans Keuzekamp Holland GH3 body only €1199 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GH3 with 12-35 2.8 lenskit €2199 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://fotohanskeuzekamp.nl/product_detail/8344/1187/panasonic-gh3-body.html

http://www.camera.ie/products/panasonic-dmc-gh3-body

thats amazing,could not see delivery charges to ireland but im sure they are less than 1000 euro !

Delivery charges? Are you joking? You could fly there, buy from the shop, stay a couple days and still make a large saving. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hi, I'm just wondering what is a good camera to get started into photography? I'm not looking for anything mad price wise, preferferably in the 100s price range, but I want to get value for money, so what would be a good camera to get for christmas?

Thanks

Advertisement