Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

5uspect wrote: »
    You're not really making much sense here.
    Any modern digital camera can take high resolution images.
    Any modern digital camera can upload image files to a computer.
    Any modern digital camera can take sharp images... in most situations.

It's that old chestnut of people asking for recommendations for a camera, specifically a 'good' one. :rolleyes:

Any camera above ten million pixels will have sufficient resolution. The problem is noise. Very high resolution cameras have small photosites and capture less light per unit area. This can make images look fuzzy. Coupled with low light in an environment like a pud you're going to get blurry, fuzzy images as the camera tries to balance noise and exposure.

So what do you want the camera for? Is for nights out, or walks in bright daylight?

-Sorry I don't know what word i'm looking for, it mustn't be high resolution, clear maybe?
    -I meant i need a camera that can upload photos to the computer, while still looking good in a bigger form on the computer screen (nearly as good as on the small camera screen(even though i know it wont look exactly the same))

I'll be using the camera for everything from landscape photos, animals, close ups, family photos, parties.....general things people take photos of :P when i look at some of the photos of landscape in the photography forum on boards i see fantastic clear photos, full of all small details, there is no way my own camera at the moment could take those photos...so yes, to reiterate, I am looking for a 'good' camera, the best out there for €300 :P (also my camera at the moment doesnt seem to be able to take photos indoors under the lights without using flash, the photos come out orange and blurry)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

123 LC wrote: »
    -Sorry I don't know what word i'm looking for, it mustn't be high resolution, clear maybe?
    -I meant i need a camera that can upload photos to the computer, while still looking good in a bigger form on the computer screen (nearly as good as on the small camera screen(even though i know it wont look exactly the same))

I'll be using the camera for everything from landscape photos, animals, close ups, family photos, parties.....general things people take photos of :P when i look at some of the photos of landscape in the photography forum on boards i see fantastic clear photos, full of all small details, there is no way my own camera at the moment could take those photos...so yes, to reiterate, I am looking for a 'good' camera, the best out there for €300 :P (also my camera at the moment doesnt seem to be able to take photos indoors under the lights without using flash, the photos come out orange and blurry)

The image on the camera's screen looks sharper because it is downsampling it. This means your actual images are slightly blurry. This is either due to camera shake, autofocus issues, moving subjects or poor optics. Using a flash is often the only way to avoid a lot of these.

You have to realise a lot of those amazing landscapes are taken with expensive SLRs (or often more expensive medium formats) and expensive lenses by skilled photographers who have spent a long time learning their craft. A €300 camera isn't coming really to come close to that level of detail, especially since most cheap cameras lack full manual controls. Something like the Canon or the Nikon cameras I mentioned above would offer you the best solution to approach this level. You could get a decent camera second hand...

To take photos in low light you need to use fast lenses (wide apertures) and a camera with good noise performance (bigger sensor). So an SLR at a higher ISO with a cheap 50mm f/1.8. The orange colour is due to you setting your white balance incorrectly. See if you camera has a tungsten setting or better yet a custom white balance option.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Thanks to all who suggested what camera I go with. I ended up buying the nex-f3 today with the 18-55 and the 16mm lenses, case, memory card, and half days training all in for €490 (after €60 cashback from sony). Delighted with the kit so far.

The image on the camera's screen looks sharper because it is downsampling it. This means your actual images are slightly blurry. This is either due to camera shake, autofocus issues, moving subjects or poor optics. Using a flash is often the only way to avoid a lot of these.

You have to realise a lot of those amazing landscapes are taken with expensive SLRs (or often more expensive medium formats) and expensive lenses by skilled photographers who have spent a long time learning their craft. A €300 camera isn't coming really to come close to that level of detail, especially since most cheap cameras lack full manual controls. Something like the Canon or the Nikon cameras I mentioned above would offer you the best solution to approach this level. You could get a decent camera second hand...

To take photos in low light you need to use fast lenses (wide apertures) and a camera with good noise performance (bigger sensor). So an SLR at a higher ISO with a cheap 50mm f/1.8. The orange colour is due to you setting your white balance incorrectly. See if you camera has a tungsten setting or better yet a custom white balance option.

what would your opinion on this camera? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056820078 it seems to be good value, it was suggested to me.

123 LC wrote: »

what would your opinion on this camera? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056820078 it seems to be good value, it was suggested to me.

A friend of mine has one. He takes excellent pictures with it. It has a few limitations tho.

It only has three selectable focus points which can make composing difficult for off center subjects. It doesn't have a focus motor so you have to be careful with lens selection, unless you're happy to manual focus.

Pair this with Nikon's 35mm prime and you'll have a good low light shooter. The kit lens is okay for general shooting.

• Advertisement

I am thinking of buying a bridge camera as the dslr cameras are too dear for me, but i want a better camera than a normal digital camera, which one of these bridge camera's from argos could ye recommened? (under €300)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/26695350/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419436%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C26695350.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5 B_asil

@OctovarIan: I have a Canon s95 that I've been thinking of selling for months as I don't use it. I have two DSLR's so rarely get the opportunity to use the s95. It's in excellent condition as I can count the number of times it was used on one hand. I'm not exaggerating. If putting it up for sale on adverts my asking would be €310. If you're interested let me know. It's just over a year old and I have all the original box, etc.

@123 LC: Don't waste your money on a bridge camera like I did a few years ago. Bridge cameras are point and shoots dressed up to look like a DSLR.

As posted earlier, I'm considering selling a small compact Canon s95. It's small enough to fit into your pocket but has full manual controls which enables you to control things like shutter speed, aperture and light sensitivity (ISO). This is what you get with a DSLR which is much more expensive. Because I'm really into photography, if any of you on this thread purchase this camera before I have to advertise it for sale. I'll happily donate an hour of my time to give the buyer some tuition. Asking price €310.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

B_asil wrote: »
    @OctovarIan: I have a Canon s95 that I've been thinking of selling for months as I don't use it. I have two DSLR's so rarely get the opportunity to use the s95. It's in excellent condition as I can count the number of times it was used on one hand. I'm not exaggerating. If putting it up for sale on adverts my asking would be €310. If you're interested let me know. It's just over a year old and I have all the original box, etc.
    B_asil wrote: »
    @123 LC: Don't waste your money on a bridge camera like I did a few years ago. Bridge cameras are point and shoots dressed up to look like a DSLR.

As posted earlier, I'm considering selling a small compact Canon s95. It's small enough to fit into your pocket but has full manual controls which enables you to control things like shutter speed, aperture and light sensitivity (ISO). This is what you get with a DSLR which is much more expensive. Because I'm really into photography, if any of you on this thread purchase this camera before I have to advertise it for sale. I'll happily donate an hour of my time to give the buyer some tuition. Asking price €310.

can i just remind you that this forum is not for selling things. if you would like to sell, please head on over to adverts.ie :)

thanks.

@dirtyghettokid: Sorry about that mod. I just thought someone here might be interested. It's posted on adverts.ie. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I'm saving my pennies for the Nikon d5200 which should be out in the next few weeks. Any thoughts, good or bad?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d5200-with-18/4505-6501_7-35534445.html

My last camera was the original d40 which was great fun, so this one is a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 AMPM

Hi Everyone; no photography knowledge so all advice is welcome.

I'm buying a camera for my wife as a Christmas present and having spent the last hour looking at all the threads for advice, I would probably go for a bridge camera except that our kids are involved in sports (gymnastics and Karate). My wife's not into photography so it's really just for everyday use, but if the camera was suitable for taking photos of the kids in their sporting activities she would definately make more use of it (daughter is at a very competitivel level of gymnastics)

I'm assuming that a second hand SLR would be the best option and have looked at a few on adverts.ie. but don't really know where to begin.

thanks!

Indoor events are going to have very poor lighting. Without a very fast lens a basic dSLR isn't going to do too well without a flash. Perhaps a camcorder would be better than a still camera?

A half decent video would be better than a blurry still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joemonster

You can try Nikon 1 J2 - very handy 10 megapixel Compact System Camera, high-speed autofocus, Smart Photo Selector, advanced Full HD movies...Expandable system: NIKKOR interchangeable lenses - you can check http://www.photoworldireland.com/gear/nikon-introduces-the-nikon-1-j2/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Christmas bonus in today, desire for a camera burning a hole in my online bank account. The two I'm looking at at the minute are the Pentax K30 and the K5 - I'd mostly be using it for landscapes, long exposures, and the odd gig photoshoot. Is the K5 worth the extra money? 50% extra price for what seems like incremental upgrades, but in all areas...

Edit: I've taken the plunge on a K30 and WR lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Anyone use ProCameraShop.co.uk? They have the Olympus XZ-1 a good bit cheaper than elsewhere

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pamweld

Hi all have bridge camera and am looking to upgrade to dslr, found bridge frustrating sometimes as have no manual focus, shutter speed or aperture control. in camera club and hoping to start an online photography course soon so lookinh for camera with full manual settings, seen this on adverts and would love your opinion on it
    http://www.adverts.ie/2443861

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

TheBazman wrote: »
    Anyone use ProCameraShop.co.uk? They have the Olympus XZ-1 a good bit cheaper than elsewhere

Cheers

Unfortunately they don't provide manufacturer warranty, but 'in-house warranty' (see Faulty goods section). I was going to buy some stuff from them, but I had to resign.

pamweld wrote: »
    Hi all have bridge camera and am looking to upgrade to dslr, found bridge frustrating sometimes as have no manual focus, shutter speed or aperture control. in camera club and hoping to start an online photography course soon so lookinh for camera with full manual settings, seen this on adverts and would love your opinion on it
    http://www.adverts.ie/2443861

Not a bad camera at all. The kit lens isn't the best, but that is where you'll need to invest in the long term, if you get the bug. Remember to be aware of the number of shutter actuations when buying as this affects the life of the camera.

You could even get one new somewhere for similar money. Argos have the D3000 for example:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593189.htm
    and the 1100D:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594463/Trail/searchtext%3ECANON+SLR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

sebphoto wrote: »
    Unfortunately they don't provide manufacturer warranty, but 'in-house warranty' (see Faulty goods section). I was going to buy some stuff from them, but I had to resign.

Cheers - I've been doing a bit of research and have decided to bite the bullet. Doesnt really bother me that it's grey market - If I was buying something a lot more expensive then it would be a different matter. The camera including postage etc is working out at 270 vs 470 to buy it in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pamweld

Remember to be aware of the number of shutter actuations when buying as this affects the life of the camera.

You could even get one new somewhere for similar money. Argos have the D3000 for example:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593189.htm
    and the 1100D:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594463/Trail/searchtext%3ECANON+SLR.htm

5uspect what would a reasonable shutter count be on a second hand camera, have no idea how many are considered normal or close to end life of camera?
    Have been looking at the Canon 1100D but read somewhere on here that it is very basic with plastic body and you can outgrow it quite quickly! Am edging towards the Canon mainly because majority of the people in my camera club are canon and I think it will be good for me as they can give me tips on using my camera as they are so familiar witht he canon settings

pamweld wrote: »
    5uspect what would a reasonable shutter count be on a second hand camera, have no idea how many are considered normal or close to end life of camera?
    Have been looking at the Canon 1100D but read somewhere on here that it is very basic with plastic body and you can outgrow it quite quickly! Am edging towards the Canon mainly because majority of the people in my camera club are canon and I think it will be good for me as they can give me tips on using my camera as they are so familiar witht he canon settings

Have a look here:
    http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

So the 450D and the 1100D are quite similar, plastic body included. The xxxD series pre-dates the xxxxD series; the 300D came first followed by the 350D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D etc, while the 1000D came out around the same time as the 500D and the 1100D about the same time as the 600D.

With the xxxxD series and others Canon have forked their camera lineup.
    Before you had just the 400D, 40D, the full frame 5D, and the 1D/1Ds.
    Now it's 1100D, 650D, 60D and 7D and the full frame 5D, 6D and 1Dx.

So a modern 1100D is as good, if not better than an older xxxD like the 450D.
    (It's probably even much the same camera repackaged)

As I've already said, the important bit is the lens you use. Bodies depreciate quickly, good lenses hold much of their value. So buy a slightly older solid camera and invest in good glass. If you worried about plastic bodies consider getting a second hand 40D or 30D, and a 50mm f/1.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Hi Guys,

has anyone had any real life experience with Nikon D800's and Nikon D600's.
    I'm looking at piking up one of them, at the moment i am tending to the D600 after reading some reviews.
    I am slightly put off by the reports of sensors being over sensitive to dust, but thats about the only drawback i can find for it.
    I'd appreciate any thoughts ?

Paulusdu

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cocococo

I am totally new to the Photography game but would love to start up my ambition. What i am looking for is a camera that i can take clear ,sharp landscape and portrait photos with. I know i will need different lenses but i saw these advertised and wonder which one to go for.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11202773/art/canon/eos-600d-ef-s-18-55-mm-is.html

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9691496/art/nikon/d5100-af-s-vr-dx-18-55-mm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Hi there, I recently got some photography lessons and want a starter camera...there are sooo many cameras mentioned here and in other forums. I have picked out two possibilities if someone could give them a quick look and let me know what you think?

Fujifilm FinePix HS30 EXR -
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-digital-cameras/fujifilm-finepix-hs30-exr-review-50007695/

Canon EOS 1100D -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-1100D-Digital-Camera-3-5-5-6/dp/B004MPQXZA

Im leaning towards the Fujifilm as it has a lot of features and seems quite user friendly. However, im afraid of buying because the sensor size is much smaller then the cannon and as far as my research goes that matters (however the cannon model is a few years behind the fuji model so maybe its not a big deal).

Can anyone let me know if its a big mistake to go with the fuji? or is there a starter model better then both i completely missed!! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I have this amazing camera here that a friend is selling. He gave to me to play around with to see what i think.

It's in excellent condition and don't think he never used it.

Its a Sony DSC-F828 8MP Digital Camera, from around 2005 and the picture quality is excellent.

Can someone advise me if it's worth €150 as I'm new to this technology.

Cheers

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Dont know if it helps, but this is the site iv been using to compare cameras....i have learned a lot so far!!

http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm-HS30-EXR-vs-Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-F828

Also, I dont think you can go too wrong for 150...sony is one of the better brands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Wopp wrote: »
    Dont know if it helps, but this is the site iv been using to compare cameras....i have learned a lot so far!!

http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm-HS30-EXR-vs-Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-F828

Also, I dont think you can go too wrong for 150...sony is one of the better brands!

I have had 3 Sony compact cameras, one bought about 6 years ago, which was great. One about 3 years ago which was a waste of money and got sold about a week after purchase and one that i bought a year ago which i abandoned because my phone was more practical and takes better pictures. I will never buy sony again.

I now have a pentax which is light years ahead of sony. Sonys build quality has become cheap and ****ty and they have cut back on the ergonomic and functional quilities to make more money per camera. Avoid at all costs...

Advertisement