Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Going away at the end of the year: Vegas, Florida, Caribbean and looking for a suitable camera to take with me.

Beginner when it comes to photography but I haven't completely ruled out an entry level DSLR to get into it.

Budget approx. €200 or €300 if it's available in Argos (vouchers :))

I see argos have a Sony WX100 for €179 which has got very good reviews from most sites I can see.

Or for the sea/sand argos also have a Fujifilm XP60 for similar price, would handle the conditions better possibly but at the expense of lower quality photographs and being pigeon holed into a holiday only camera.

Wildcard at the minute is a Nikon D3000 at €304 clearance in argos. Seems like a lot of camera for little money albeit an older model - but as a beginner I doubt I would notice.

Only drawback to the DSLR is walking around Vegas etc declaring i'm a tourist with it hanging around my neck.

Any other suggestions - I've limited my search to Argos because I have some vouchers for it, so any other cameras from alternatives I will have missed. Appreciate the help in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Vikings wrote: »
    Going away at the end of the year: Vegas, Florida, Caribbean and looking for a suitable camera to take with me.

Beginner when it comes to photography but I haven't completely ruled out an entry level DSLR to get into it.

I see argos have a Sony WX100 for €179 which has got very good reviews from most sites I can see.

Or for the sea/sand argos also have a Fujifilm XP60 for similar price, would handle the conditions better possibly but at the expense of lower quality photographs and being pigeon holed into a holiday only camera.

Wildcard at the minute is a Nikon D3000 at €304 clearance in argos. Seems like a lot of camera for little money albeit an older model - but as a beginner I doubt I would notice.

Only drawback to the DSLR is walking around Vegas etc declaring i'm a tourist with it hanging around my neck.

Any other suggestions - I've limited my search to Argos because I have some vouchers for it, so any other cameras from alternatives I will have missed. Appreciate the help in advance!

Pentax Q
    • £189
    • Very pocketable
    • Lots & lots of fun to use
    • Great for travelling with
    • Zoom lens kit included
    • More lenses available if you like
    • Full set of DSLR controls (within reason), but smaller sensor (which you will not notice unless you want to print on the side of a building)
    • Can save in raw or jpeg
    • Looks great

Pentax Q

Sony WX100 for €179 which has got very good reviews from most sites I can see.

I have bought 3 Sony compact cameras over the past 10 years. The first was great at the time, but that now resides with an ex... The second was unusable as it was touch screen and was just appalling to use... The third which I bought a year ago, was poorly built, image quality was crap and had crappy menus... The second two I bought due to the good experiences I had with the first. But as far as I can tell, Sony consumer level compacts are going downhill fast. I could not recommend anyone to buy one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Like I tell everyone/beginners who want a camera for travelling- bridge camera; (jacket) pocketable, massive zoom, macro, viewfinder etc. A jack of all trades.

In bright sunlight not having a viewfinder could be an issue, makes it harder to see the lcd screen.

If you want compact something like Panasonic TZ25 is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Looking for my first DSLR to take landscape, moving subjects and portrait shots (basically everything). I've been interested in photography for a long time and I've decided its time to bite the bullet and get started. Budget €300-€400, maybe a bit more, second hand not a problem as long as its in good enough condition.

I've been looking at these three, but like I said Im new to it all so any advice on these or others would be great
    Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens
    Canon: EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm IS II Lens
    Nikon D3200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Looking for my first DSLR to take landscape, moving subjects and portrait shots (basically everything). I've been interested in photography for a long time and I've decided its time to bite the bullet and get started. Budget €300-€400, maybe a bit more, second hand not a problem as long as its in good enough condition.

I've been looking at these three, but like I said Im new to it all so any advice on these or others would be great
    Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens
    Canon: EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm IS II Lens
    Nikon D3200

18-55 kit lens won't be great solution for landscapes as it would be too narrow.. i would go for second hand semi-pro body like 30d, 40d instead of 1100d or 600d. Also I would wait and save some money to get better lens than kit lens e.g. 50mm 1.8 + Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 or Sigma 15-30.
    Furthermore you'll have to decide what system you are going to use. Once you get specific body (e.g. Canon) then it will be hard to change your system (to e.g. Nikon) just because it'll cost a lot in long term.
    Besides, it's not worth to purchase kit lens as you will get rid of it sooner rather than later in order to get better lens and therefore better photos. It's expensive hobby. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Canon sx50 hs is working out great here for nature, is and moon shots. Can even get to see jupiter with its moons It's not too big and very good if not prepared to go full dslr with all the expensive lenses

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Heading off to east Africa later this year and am climbing kilimanjaro, going on safari and diving in Zanzibar. Am looking at picking up a go pro, as I have heard in excels in these conditions. I found this: http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/ASK-Direct/23170572?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_175&a=1676
    and it seems a good deal. However I realise that the Hero3 is out and is significantly better (specifically thinking of Hero3 Silver)
    Any opinions on which to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

I have a D3000, which I find is a great, I could go higher up the DSLR chain for a D7000 or a D5000 but I like what the quality that I get.

My main problem its physical size. I don't take it everywhere with me because I am afraid it will hit off something and break or that it'll attract unwanted attention.

So I have been looking at getting a compact that has a good zoom, takes pictures in Raw as well a Jpg. Basically I want a good camera that I can carry around with me everywhere.

The options I have been looking at are the Canon G11 or the Nikon Coolpix P7100. Budget would probably be between €200 and €250. Are there any other brands that are just as good or better than these two?

At the moment I just use the pop up flash on the D3000, if I were to get a flash gun for the D3000, could I just put it on the G11 or the P7100?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Oh I did that holiday last year!! Epic.

Get an entry level DSLR. You wont regret it when you see what you can get out of it compared to a compact. Doesn't matter what brand or how many megapixels as long as the main controls are on the wheel - Aperture, Shutter, Manual and ISO. That and pick up a 50mm f1.8 second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I would pick up a FUJI X10 as they are pretty cheap these days and on clearance I think in Currys for about 250 ?
    Other than that I'd wait till you get there and buy it in Vegas from amazon delivered to your hotel. Most of the Panasonic and Olympus cameras are half price in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

I'm making the move to SLR and I've decided on a Canon 60d.

Does anyone have any reccommendations on a lens for landscapes? I'm going to buy the camera body only with no kit lenses.

Omeceron wrote: »
    I'm making the move to SLR and I've decided on a Canon 60d.

Does anyone have any reccommendations on a lens for landscapes? I'm going to buy the camera body only with no kit lenses.

Actually all depends from your budget ;)
    Read about following lenses:
    Canon 10-22
    Tokina 12-24 f/4
    Sigma 10-20 (both version f/3.5 and 4-5.6)

Also I'm wondering why you want to buy 60d?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

sebphoto wrote: »
    Actually all depends from your budget ;)
    Read about following lenses:
    Canon 10-22
    Tokina 12-24 f/4
    Sigma 10-20 (both version f/3.5 and 4-5.6)

Also I'm wondering why you want to buy 60d?

Thanks. I was looking at the Canon 600d, but a friend recommended I go with the 60d to save me having to upgrade down the line.

Omeceron wrote: »
    Thanks. I was looking at the Canon 600d, but a friend recommended I go with the 60d to save me having to upgrade down the line.

Did you take into consideration the fact that both bodies (600d and 60d) are equipped with a crop sensor?
    Also did you think about long term plan i.e. will you upgrade to full frame within next 24 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Pentax Q
    dinneenp wrote: »
    If you want compact something like Panasonic TZ25 is very good.
    Get an entry level DSLR. You wont regret it when you see what you can get out of it compared to a compact. Doesn't matter what brand or how many megapixels as long as the main controls are on the wheel - Aperture, Shutter, Manual and ISO. That and pick up a 50mm f1.8 second hand.

In the end I went with a DSLR, got an Eos1100d this week. Came with the kit lens and I have been loaned a 75-300 lens to play around with. Busy couple of weeks ahead getting to grips with it but very pleased so far.

Awesome choice man!! Enjoy the holiday and don't worry about that big lump hanging around your neck. There will be loads of you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hey guys , I'm interested in purchasing my first dslr. I found a deal in pc world where you can get the Nixon d3200 incl 18 -55 mm lens plus the Nikon 55-200mm lens for 579 euro. The deal ends tomorrow an I was wondering what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Hey guys , I'm interested in purchasing my first dslr. I found a deal in pc world where you can get the Nixon d3200 incl 18 -55 mm lens plus the Nikon 55-200mm lens for 579 euro. The deal ends tomorrow an I was wondering what you think?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200/21
    Same camera with only 1 lens in Bermingham's camera shop is €549.
    www.berminghamcameras.ie and Conn's are same price €549 with 1 lens
    http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3200/p-18208925063pd.html
    I would say go for it and the very best of luck.
    Just remember to take care when changing lens on a DSLR camera because of dust getting onto sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

A friend of mine has upgraded his camera and very kindly offered me his Lumix G1. He also recommended a lens on e-bay that I have successfully bought - LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S.

So I intend to embark on the world of photography and I've looked through various articles, posts and blogs to start my schooling. I'm under no illusions - I don't think I could possibly have the talent for seeing pictures as he does - he took pictures of my two dogs and anyone who saw them were amazed - he sees things that I don't. All I want is to be able to take pictures without feeling too dissapointed after when I upload them onto the PC. Any advice on books or kit would be very appreciated - so far I have the lens and the camera body will arrive from Germany any day now. I have no bag/lens case/camera case etc ... I really am starting from scratch :o
    I've read about other lens and my first thoughts are that I'm limited for choice as the Lumix is a certain system - just a thought I have after reading about "nifty fifty's". I'm looking to build a compatent kit - nothing too professional but something that will cover most bases - landscape/portrait/detailed close-up - and I'll probably go back to e-bay and my friend for more advice. However as with the cycling forum I value the Boardsie people's advice and knowledge - magazines tend to sway towards a product and endorse them - a bit like bike gear - Ridley V Specialized etc.

Thanks people - hope to be using my kit soon - holidays in Northern Greece and bike rides along coastal and forest paths with beautiful views and clear blue sea. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

Hi,
    I do have a lot of e-books and training videos on clouds. So if you want I can share some with you. PM your email if interested so I could share a link to my folder on clouds ;)

Go to the forums on dpreview.com for that particular camera and just browse the shít out of it. It helped me no end before I got a DSLR. I had a huge head start on how, why and when to use shutter and aperture priority, ISO, different metering modes etc.

Check out peoples requests for critique and questions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ugsparky wrote: »
    A friend of mine has upgraded his camera and very kindly offered me his Lumix G1. He also recommended a lens on e-bay that I have successfully bought - LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S.

ther lens and my first thoughts are that I'm limited for choice as the Lumix is a certain system

That camera is part of a system called Micro 4/3 - the 4/3 being the sensor ratio. The system is a standard in terms of the sensor size, lens mount and contacts and signaling from the mount to the lens.

There are two major manufacturers making cameras and lenses to the standard, namely Panasonic and Olympus. Because of the standard, lenses made by one manufacturer can be used on bodies made by the other. Consequently, you actually have access to one of the widest ranges of lenses for any system camera. Because the M4/3 specification has one of the shortest sensor-lens flange distances around, it is possible to make adapters to fit an enormous variety of lenses to a m4/3 mount.

If you don't mind manually focusing and setting the aperture, you have potential access to most lenses ever made via the appropriate adapters. You can fit more lenses to a M4/3 body than any other system. So if you want to stick a 20 year old "nifty 50" made by Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Leica, Zeiss, etc, etc; you can.

The effective field of view changes due to image cropping because of the smaller than 35mm film sensor so a nifty 50 becomes more like a nifty 100mm in field of view, but not magnification.

The native 4/3 and M4/3 lenses available: http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey anyone know where I can get a cheap digital camera? Around the 30 euro range... tried Argos, but they seem to be selling high atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hey anyone know where I can get a cheap digital camera? Around the 30 euro range... tried Argos, but they seem to be selling high atm.

Adverts.ie

Adverts.ie

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of cameras for around that price atm.. thanks though.

Should specifiy that I'm in Dublin

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of cameras for around that price atm.. thanks though.

Should specifiy that I'm in Dublin

You won't get a Dublin camera for that price... Leitrim cameras can be quite reasonable though, but they tend to be unusual colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

€50, new in Currys. OLYMPUS D-745 Compact Digital Camera

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You won't get a Dublin camera for that price... Leitrim cameras can be quite reasonable though, but they tend to be unusual colours.

This comment made me laugh, thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

ebay

Advertisement