Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi all, now first of all I haven't a clue about cameras so please stick with me.

Im looking to buy a present for himself for christmas and he has mentioned a few times in the past he would like to change his Canon 450d for a DSLR with wifi. He has mentioned the Nikon D5300,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5300-Digital-18-55mm-Compact/dp/B00I3M6BVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416162407&sr=8-1&keywords=Nikon+D5300

my question is, would this be a good camera to buy?, is it the equivalent or better than his current camera? and also is it possible to buy a mount/adaptor?? for the Nikon so he can use his current lenses with it.

Like I said I haven't a notion about camera so if any of ye have advice that would be great as Im lost

Thanks in advance

B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

If he has a collection of lenses and accessories, switching from Canon to Nikon could be a bit of a problem. Lens adapters aren't a good solution IMHO, and I think it will only work when mounting a Nikon lens on a Canon camera.

700D is the Canon equivalent, and although it doesn't have WiFi built in, it can take Eye Fi SD cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

The only cameras that do clever things with WiFi are the cameras on your phones. WiFi on SLR cameras are gimmicks (coming from a Canon 6D owner which has built in WiFi). Truth is you never use it, and it's quicker and far easier to remove the SD card and transfer the images automatically using something like light room than it is to set your camera up on your local network to transfer the images. It really is a gimmick.

The only semi useful functionality is the remote viewfinder with the canon app with software remote control, but even that is pretty basic functionality and quite gimmicky too. My advice is don't buy the camera purely for the fact it has WiFi. Just buy him the best camera you can buy him on the budget you've set for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Sheeps wrote: »
    The only cameras that do clever things with WiFi are the cameras on your phones. WiFi on SLR cameras are gimmicks (coming from a Canon 6D owner which has built in WiFi). Truth is you never use it, and it's quicker and far easier to remove the SD card and transfer the images automatically using something like light room than it is to set your camera up on your local network to transfer the images. It really is a gimmick.

The only semi useful functionality is the remote viewfinder with the canon app with software remote control, but even that is pretty basic functionality and quite gimmicky too. My advice is don't buy the camera purely for the fact it has WiFi. Just buy him the best camera you can buy him on the budget you've set for yourself.

I kind of thought that myself as you would want to view and edit the pics on a laptop/computer before using them. I think he was interested for the gps tagging, I don't want to ask too much as he'd wonder why I was asking.

The other option I might have is to get him a new lens for the canon he already has. I know he's interested in taking wildlife shots and he has mentioned a telescopic lens for these kinds of shots, or I could upgrade his 450D, but I wouldn't have a clue as to which one would be worth buying, would you have any advice about this?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've been put in a position where I can't partake in sport all that much anymore due to work. I need a hobby and I was thinking about photography, particularly sports photography. I'd be very green fingered and was looking for suggestions to start up without going too primitive but equally I don't want to pay for equipment I just wouldn't know how to use or appreciate. Any advice would be great.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Any camera with a sports mode will do but you really want an SLR for high shutter speeds to capture the action. A bridge camera will also work, especially a good superzoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Guys, I'd really appreciate some advice please. I have a Canon 600D, two kit lens and a 1.8 50mm lens. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a Canon EOS 6D or whether it would be better to use the camera I have and buy some better lenses?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Guys, I'd really appreciate some advice please. I have a Canon 600D, two kit lens and a 1.8 50mm lens. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a Canon EOS 6D or whether it would be better to use the camera I have and buy some better lenses?

What will the 6D do that the 600 won't?

I'd go for lenses. What do you mostly take photos of?

Thanks for the reply Kenny, I mainly take landscapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lenses all the way unless you're taking the leap up to full frame. I'd consider getting rid of the kit lenses buying a decent short zoom and a wider fast prime lens then the 50mm (hold onto it though). The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 gets decent reviews and is cheap. For landscape stuff get a good tripod and some filters.

Also reading the forums on dpreview is great for picking up ideas and pointers on technique.

• Advertisement

As above; I'd go for lenses and filters. A Sigma 10-20 will open up a landscape for you allowing more into the frame - http://amzn.to/1zormQa and a filter kit will allow you to adjust the exposure across the frame (grad filter), or slow down the shutter (ND filter) to capture images that wouldn't be possible without them. Lee are expensive, but said to be the best. I have cheap Cokin knock-offs that are OK.

Thanks Guys for the replies. I'm only an amateur photographer but I feel frustrated with the equipment I have at present. I'm wondering if I'd be better off investing in a Canon EOS 5 Mark III body and then gradually upgrade my lens when I can afford to?

Thanks Guys for the replies. I'm only an amateur photographer but I feel frustrated with the equipment I have at present. I'm wondering if I'd be better off investing in a Canon EOS 5 Mark III body and then gradually upgrade my lens when I can afford to?

What exactly is frustrating you?

I think you need a really good functional reason to change bodies, and it's the lenses that will have the biggest impact on your images.

Kit lenses are OK, but are only really intended to get you started. The fun starts when you upgrade them IMHO.

Kenny, I have a couple of Sigma lenses too but I just feel that my images are a little soft and not as sharp or as detailed as I'd like.

Ah, now you could be on to something. ;) Might be worth asking in the main photography forum, post an image or two and see where it's not working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

A full frame Canon would be a very good upgrade for landscape work but you would have to buy new lenses except for the 50mm as you need EF lenses for full frame and they can be very expensive. You can use these with your 600D crop body until you can afford a FF body. 5D Mk2's can be bought quite reasonably second hand and are more than adequate for landscapes as the main upgrades to the Mk3 were Autofocus, Low ISO and ease of Video use

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Just wondering if anyone has experience with either of the following.
    Basically I have a budget of E200 delivered as part of a Kris Kringle within the family so I can't go X amount to get a DSLR or a different bridge camera with extra features etc.
    The camera will be used for family occasions, holidays and the kid's sporting occasions.
    Any alternatives or advice suggested would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

S.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LZ40-Memory-Optical/dp/B00HYA7AHU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416100496&sr=1-2&keywords=Panasonic+Lumix+LZ40

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1712483/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441.htm

Kenny, I have a couple of Sigma lenses too but I just feel that my images are a little soft and not as sharp or as detailed as I'd like.

I agree. The 10-20mm aint great at all. I've a couple of others that are so so but you get what you pay for. One, though, that's never off my camera is the 30mm 1.4. Its an absolute gem of a lens for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

What will the 6D do that the 600 won't?

I'd go for lenses. What do you mostly take photos of?

6D is a full frame camera btw.. and way better than a 5d mk2

get it with the 24-105mm if you can stretch, great all around lens. plenty wide for landscapes and good for portraits.

Rokinon have a great manual focus 14mm lenses that is cheap and good for landscape work (no auto focus remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sensay

I use my phone its a great camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

hey,

Looking to buy a decent camera for the first time. Could anyone recommed a good digital camera for 350 euro or less... I have no clue on cameras so any advice would appreciated... Would be looking for something to last a few years...

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are looking for a decent entry level DSLR and can stretch a few more euro, then this D3200 is currently €389.99 but it was also€364.99 quite recently. Keep an eye on argos as they seem to have random camera price slashes these days but it only lasts a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scammal

Hi, I want to buy a EDSLR that ticks the following boxes..
    lithium ion battery
    16mp or more
    price > 250 euro
    1080 hd video
    >20 x zoom
    I have trawled through all the comparison sites and reviews but seem to be getting professionals or enthusiasts never impressed with compacts or bridge cameras rather than ordinary users. The camera, in practice, will mostly be used to shoot photos and videos of family and dogs. I'd like an opinion from regular users. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/. They do some very good comparisons.

What is an EDSLR? Do you mean DSLR?

20x zoom? Not sure that such a lens exists.. Even the Nikon 18-300 (£629) comes in at 16.7x.

Electronic Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras - EDSLR..I lifted this straight out of the FAQ in the boards cameras and accessories section..don't know myself..and good question kenny..what's the difference between digital and optical zoom?
    There's a few in argos that seem like good value..Nikon Coolpix L830 16MP Bridge Camera ticks boxes but has no lithium ion battery. also a Canon PowerShot SX510 12MP that has the battery but is only 12mp. Should I be looking for the size of the sensor or is the higher number of mp the best indicator of getting quality finished images? To be honest, the more time I spent looking at cameras, the more I knew how little I knew..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

An optical zoom is one which uses lenses to alter the image composition, a digital zoom effectively magnifies the pixels. Digital zooms are a nonsense and should not be considered.

Be aware that high ratio zooms like 20x have to make image quality compromises and that the limit for zooms that retain high image quality is about 5x max.

scammal wrote: »
    Electronic Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras - EDSLR..I lifted this straight out of the FAQ in the boards cameras and accessories section..don't know myself..and good question kenny..what's the difference between digital and optical zoom?
    There's a few in argos that seem like good value..Nikon Coolpix L830 16MP Bridge Camera ticks boxes but has no lithium ion battery. also a Canon PowerShot SX510 12MP that has the battery but is only 12mp. Should I be looking for the size of the sensor or is the higher number of mp the best indicator of getting quality finished images? To be honest, the more time I spent looking at cameras, the more I knew how little I knew..

Ah, yep, it can be a nightmare. :D DSLRs are a different kettle altogether.

MP is no indication of quality. As above, optical zoom is generally better than digital. I wouldn't worry too much about battery as some modern rechargeable AAs or AAAs are excellent.

Snapsort is great for comparing side-by-side, and should make a decision easier -

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX510-HS-vs-Nikon-Coolpix-L830

Thanks very much Kenny, that's very helpful.

• Advertisement

Higher MP doesn't mean better quality, it can be quite the opposite with small sensor cameras. 6mp is plenty resolution for printing up to 30" so don't worry about MP.

Its a shame your budget is so low. The difference between a €250 compact or bridge and a €389 entry level DSLR is huge. The only thing you wont get is that big zoom but do you really need it?

Advertisement