Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm looking to buy a Nikon Full frame camera but I've been I have a budget of a 1000 max. Its for the other half. She has her heart set on a full frame Nikon. Can anyone point me in the right direction. It a second hand one I'm looking for so wondering if the nikon d600 is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Finally got sick of my bridge camera and decided to upgrade. The ones I was looking at Canon 1200D or Nikon D3200. Are either of them better for a first DSLR or would they both be around the same? The lens that comes with the Canon is a Telephoto Zoom lens and the one with Nikon is a zoom lens. Not quite sure on the better lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Finally got sick of my bridge camera and decided to upgrade. The ones I was looking at Canon 1200D or Nikon D3200. Are either of them better for a first DSLR or would they both be around the same? The lens that comes with the Canon is a Telephoto Zoom lens and the one with Nikon is a zoom lens. Not quite sure on the better lens?

The nikon d3200 is the better camera, or at least on paper it is. It has a better sensor, more megapixels, better image quality, more dynamic range. If you do a Google search however you may find that some people have had issues with focus on this camera. Some have complained of soft images from this camera.

For not much more money you can get a d3300 which has better image quality than the d3200 as it lack an optical low pass filter. To my eyes the images look much better from this camera.

Both the 1200d and the d3200 come with a 18-55mm kit lens. If you want an Improvement over you're bridge camera consider buying better glass for you're new DSLR.

You might be underwhelmed by the image quality from the kit lens. For example a few prime lenses like the 35mm f1.8 DX for nikon or the ef-s 24mm f2.8 is stm for canon etc will give better image quality over the kit lens and will also perform better in low light. They are not expensive either, as far as lenses are concerned. However they are restricted by their focal lengths so it's important that you pick a system and lenses that suits you're needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I'm looking at the Panasonic TZ70. Does anyone have any experience of them? I'm just wondering if it is worth the dosh. I'll be using it mainly for holiday photos, weddings, wakes, birthdays and bar mitzvahs.

Would the previous TZ60 be a better option?

Im just getting around to purchasing a camera (life changing events got in the way :().

Is the TZ70 still the one to go for in the travel compact range? I've done some looking online and see that Sony have released the HX90V, but I'm not sure if it is a better item.

Reviews state for the Sony "its images suffer when the light gets low". I'm not sure as to what extinct this happens.

So, is the TZ70 still the one ot go for or is there something better that has cam along in this market sector?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hugo93

I hope someone here may be able to help me. I need advice on buying a new camera/camcorder. I build educational videos like linked below and use youtube to host them. I want to improve the quality of the films I make, so first of all I am improving the lighting with a new softbox like set up but I am also looking at buying a new camera/ camcorder. My current camera is a Canon Powershot sx230 hs, i tried using 1080p webcams before to no joy. I have about 300-400 euro to spend and I am thinking like a bargain bucket dslr like the 1200d from canon? What would ye recommend?

Would really appreciate any help on this.

Sample video
    https:// www .youtube.com/ watch?v=lAMoVjiIviU

I have had to break up the url because I am not allowed post links :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hugo93

I use the videos to teach a drawing class, I link them to a external website ( that's why the views are so low). I want to get the quality perfect before going and making more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Im just getting around to purchasing a camera (life changing events got in the way :().

Is the TZ70 still the one to go for in the travel compact range? I've done some looking online and see that Sony have released the HX90V, but I'm not sure if it is a better item.

Reviews state for the Sony "its images suffer when the light gets low". I'm not sure as to what extinct this happens.

So, is the TZ70 still the one ot go for or is there something better that has cam along in this market sector?

Thanks.

Low light performance is generally a function of sensor size and lens speed. I think the Sony RX100 might be a far better proposition: http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/panasonic_lumix-dmc-tz70-vs-sony_cybershot-dsc-rx100/

And at the price level of the HX90V on Amazon.uk, the Olympus EPL-7 would be a way better proposition than any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

kodak_camerawk4415_02.jpg

For a person thinking of ugrading form point/shoot to Bridge , what ye think of this one in Lidl next week ?

Kodak AZ251
    • OIS (Optical Image Stabilization)
    • With high resolution and a wider angle lens than traditional models, this camera could easily become your new best friend
    • 1 year guarantee
    • 3" LCD
    • 25x Optical Zoom 720p HD Video
    • 24mm Wide Angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I currently have a cannon Eos20d, I am looking to get a new camera.
    I like taking pictures of the kids and nature. Price range about 500 euro maybe more can anyone recommend a camera?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if someone could help me out.

It's my OH's 30th very soon, and she is going travelling next summer. She has always wanted a good camera, and I was thinking now would be a good chance to get her one.

Can anyone recommend one for approx 350 Euro, as this is in and around my budget?

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 byrnedave

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new camera around the 600 - 700 euro price range. Looking at for a compact style camera. I want something small enough that I put in a backpack without the size of a DSLR or bridge camera.

I have been looking at the below.

Panasonic DMC-LX100

Olympus OM-D E-M10

Sony A6000

Leaning towards the Olympus OM-D E-M10. If any one has any other recommendations or ideas it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

cnocbui wrote: »
    Low light performance is generally a function of sensor size and lens speed. I think the Sony RX100 might be a far better proposition: http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/panasonic_lumix-dmc-tz70-vs-sony_cybershot-dsc-rx100/

And at the price level of the HX90V on Amazon.uk, the Olympus EPL-7 would be a way better proposition than any of the above.

Thanks - the EPL-7 looks a bit bulky for what I want when the lens is attached - assuming the spec is quoting just the body. Pancake lens makes it much more expensive.

I've tried the Sony and was really unimpessed with the pop up flash - it looks like something waiting to break.

Some people have told that for general travel shots that the TZ70 is a better all rounder and is the one to go for. Others have said the Rx100.

This site says the TZ70:
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/best-compact-camera-buying-guide-2015

I've got a preference for the TZ - based solely on using Panasonic equipment in the past and a notion that I'd like the EVF.

How can a 2015 camera have worse image quality than a direct competitor from four generations previous? I can understand it not being up to the RX100 IV, but how can it still be behind the first RX-100 which has been out for over 3 years now?

Thanks - the EPL-7 looks a bit bulky for what I want when the lens is attached - assuming the spec is quoting just the body. Pancake lens makes it much more expensive.

I've tried the Sony and was really unimpessed with the pop up flash - it looks like something waiting to break.

Some people have told that for general travel shots that the TZ70 is a better all rounder and is the one to go for. Others have said the Rx100.

This site says the TZ70:
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/best-compact-camera-buying-guide-2015

I've got a preference for the TZ - based solely on using Panasonic equipment in the past and a notion that I'd like the EVF.

How can a 2015 camera have worse image quality than a direct competitor from four generations previous? I can understand it not being up to the RX100 IV, but how can it still be behind the first RX-100 which has been out for over 3 years now?

The TZ70 has a tiny sensor - that's how the the RX-100 can deliver way better image quality, it has a way larger sensor.

Here is the difference in size between the sensors:

Sensors_zpsjvaqwyqc.jpg

The tiny blue one is the TZ, the much larger green is the RX and the even larger lime green is the PL7. Even a nokia 1020 phone has a sensor almost three times the area of the one in the Panasonic.

Here is the difference in size between the TZ and PL7 bodies:

Pen7%20TZ70_zpsrsg9srrb.jpg

Yes, the pancake lens for the PL7 would push the cost up, but the performance to size ratio would also increase dramatically. Actually, the price would then exceed that of the Panasonic GM5 which has a good viewfinder, is actually smaller than the RX, TZ or PL7 and would walk all over all of them in outright performance: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GM5KEB-K-Compact-System-12-32mm/dp/B00NLFJ2PK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446543612&sr=8-1&keywords=GM-5

Because the RX has a much larger sensor, you wouldn't need to use it's flash anywhere nearly as often as with the TZ.

The GM5 is now my top pick :P

Even a nokia 1020 phone has a sensor almost three times the area of the one in the Panasonic.
    This is the bit I don't understand. The TZ70 was released this year so why did the put such a poor sensor on it - to the extent that a phone has a bigger sensor - what did they do to balance this out or is it just a bad camera (when compared against its competition).

They knew the level of the RX-100 so why did they miss by so much?

This is the bit I don't understand. The TZ70 was released this year so why did the put such a poor sensor on it - to the extent that a phone has a bigger sensor - what did they do to balance this out or is it just a bad camera (when compared against its competition).

They knew the level of the RX-100 so why did they miss by so much?

The TZ70 is just another P&S camera. There are hundreds and hundreds of P&Ss and they all have tiny sensors. Panasonic just put a typical P&S sensor in it. The RX100 is generally thought of as an enthusiasts compact. It may have the same form factor as a P&S but the lens, sensor and controls are all aimed at providing performance well above what you get in the P&S market. The PL7 and GM5 are in yet another market segment up from the enthusiast compact segment. The RX100 is only that cheap because it has been superceded by several newer versions.

The Nokia 1020 has a sensor almost the size of that in the RX100 and was intended to be a phone with an enthusiasts compact camera, shoe-horned into it.

So basically, what you are missing is that you are comparing across different market segments rather than just within the P&S segment. An older camera from a higher market segment can still have superior performance to the latest offering in a lower segment and be around the same price because of being old stock and superceded by newer offerings within it's own category.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys,

My mate is in the hunt for a good quality camera for being to Australia/Thailand for a 2 month holiday. I've offered him my Canon 500d for the trip but he doesn't want to carry around a DSLR.

He is open to suggestions on a POS or Bridge camera or something in the middle with an option to put on a lens or similar.

Thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    Guys,

My mate is in the hunt for a good quality camera for being to Australia/Thailand for a 2 month holiday. I've offered him my Canon 500d for the trip but he doesn't want to carry around a DSLR.

He is open to suggestions on a POS or Bridge camera or something in the middle with an option to put on a lens or similar.

Thanks.

Panasonic GM5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I want to get my husband a lomography camera for Christmas. He enjoys taking photos but wouldn't be big into the technical side of SLR's etc. I think he'd find a retro lomo quite fun. We like old looking vintage photos.

Anyway I cant decide between the Diana F that is a slightly bigger/better camera, but shoots in 120 film. Or the Diana Mini which shoots in a more handy 35mm but is known to have some problems with winding on.

Basically what would be more of a pain, finding somewhere that will develop and print 120 film, or potentially having an issue with winding on the film and having to do a DIY fix.

I cant decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Hi all,

I've had a Nikon D90 since January 2010. If I was to upgrade it next year what would you folks recommend? I had looked at a D7200 but I thought I throw the floor open.

Cheers,
    W.

So basically, what you are missing is that you are comparing across different market segments rather than just within the P&S segment. An older camera from a higher market segment can still have superior performance to the latest offering in a lower segment and be around the same price because of being old stock and superceded by newer offerings within it's own category.

Hi cnocbui, thanks for your informative replies. I suppose for me, it boils down to whether I would notice much difference in the quality of the photos between these cameras. It is getting a bit close to my travel time so I'm not sure if I'm going to make a last minute purchase now.

I don't think the Sony has a good zoom range, I did wonder if I should opt for going up a range and getting a body and a pancake lens. However, from reading up on this these lens are fixed focal length and possibly a decrease in image quality. This would probably come in at the price of a RX100-III - which is the one I would opt for out of the range for the EVF.

• Advertisement

Hi cnocbui, thanks for your informative replies. I suppose for me, it boils down to whether I would notice much difference in the quality of the photos between these cameras. It is getting a bit close to my travel time so I'm not sure if I'm going to make a last minute purchase now.

I don't think the Sony has a good zoom range, I did wonder if I should opt for going up a range and getting a body and a pancake lens. However, from reading up on this these lens are fixed focal length and possibly a decrease in image quality. This would probably come in at the price of a RX100-III - which is the one I would opt for out of the range for the EVF.

I hate to do this to you, but at the price level of that Sony, you should also consider a look at the Panasonic LX100, which is an enthusiasts compact with a 4/3 sensor in it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-LX100EBK-Digital-f1-7-2-8-VARIO-SUMMILUX/dp/B00NLFJ2KU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447316117&sr=8-2&keywords=panasonic+lx100

Dpreview did a review in which both the Panny and Sony are included: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0692551582/2015-roundup-advanced-zoom-compacts/12

Hmm, looks good. But I think I'd need a pancake lens on it to make it pocketable. Plus, it has no lens cap.

Like I said, I'll probably stick now with my crappy camera for this holiday and wait for prices to drop a bit. Although, by then you'll be telling me that the RX100 IV is crap and the RX100 VIII is the only one worth gettign because the sensor in the IV is sooo small... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Panasonic GM5

Thanks,

what's the opinion on the Sony Alpha 6000 and the Fuji X-T10?

kceire wrote: »
    Thanks,

what's the opinion on the Sony Alpha 6000 and the Fuji X-T10?

The Sony seems to have terrific image quality, particularly at higher ISOs if you go pixel peeping. Whether this advantage would be discernible at the size most people print or view photos is doubtful.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=sony_a6000&attr13_1=panasonic_dmcgm5&attr13_2=fujifilm_xt10&attr13_3=nikon_d800&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=1600&attr16_1=1600&attr16_2=1600&attr16_3=1600&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0.25932419567255&y=-0.7254530693189869

It is larger than the GM5 but that is understandable as it has a larger APS-C sensor in it.

Dpreview liked the X-T10 but it looks like something that would appeal to a hipster.

For outright image quality the A6000 would seem the clear choice and the GM5 if compactness and pocketability were a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fieldhunter

I need a bit of help choosing a camera I need it for fast moving objects, wildlife and landscapes with a good zoom please reply with cameras that fit the bill under €800 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 claireor

Hey guys
    which camera is better Nikon coolpixL840 or Canon powershot sx410.
    hope someone can help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

claireor wrote: »
    Hey guys
    which camera is better Nikon coolpixL840 or Canon powershot sx410.
    hope someone can help!!!

Hey claireor, I think the Nikon is a better option. In my opinion, I don't think there's much competition between the two at all, for me, the Nikon wins hands down on almost every aspect. The Nikon has lower megapixels, but to be honest, this doesn't mean a whole lot when you are talking about 16 megapixels versus 20 megapixels.

The Nikon is much faster at taking pictures. 7.5 pictures per second, compared to the Canon which only takes 0.5 pictures per second (which is incredibly slow).

Nikon has a much higher ISO option, which means it can potentially take better pictures in low light.

Nikon has a better battery. It can also shoot in full HD (1080, as oppose to the Canon which can shoot in 720).

The Nikon has an awesome fold out screen which comes in really handy when you want to get a low angle shot. I have a camera with a similar fold out screen and it is really handy for getting a more difficult shot.

I don't own either of these cameras, but maybe somebody on here will have some hands on experience with either camera.

The feel of the camera might be a factor too. I know it is for me, so go to a shop and feel the camera in your hand. Comfort can be a big selling point.

If it was my choice I would go for the Nikon (and I normally go for Canon :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conor9898

I'm a new photographer, I've only previously taken photos with phones however I want to take professional photos myself. I was wondering what camera should I start off with? do megapixels matter?

thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Need more info. Do you want an SRL? What's your budget? Megapixels only ever matter when you want to print photos to Huge sizes - so almost never.

Canon/nikon are both good. Get a cheap starter body - spend your money on a good lens - that's what produced good photos. Look 2nd hand, some great deals on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a camera. Budget would be €150/200. I usually use my phone as its just pics at home or pics when I go places, so it wouldn't be a camera I'd carry all the time.

I'll be printing some of the pics and this is the main reason for buying a camera and not using my phone. Photos are often blurry, too dark or bright and in general don't look good when printed from my phone. Especially compared to some pics I look back on that were taken 20 odd years ago from what I assume was a standard, cheap, film camera.

Any info and advice appreciated.

Advertisement