Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a camera. Budget would be €150/200. I usually use my phone as its just pics at home or pics when I go places, so it wouldn't be a camera I'd carry all the time.

I'll be printing some of the pics and this is the main reason for buying a camera and not using my phone. Photos are often blurry, too dark or bright and in general don't look good when printed from my phone. Especially compared to some pics I look back on that were taken 20 odd years ago from what I assume was a standard, cheap, film camera.

Any info and advice appreciated.
    All cameras in the €150-200 price range will be either point and shoot or bridge cameras. These won't offer much more in terms of image quality compared to your phone due to having a similar size sensor(very small). Your best bet would be to up the budget a bit and get a mirrorless camera or dslr which will both have much larger sensors compared to your phone and point and shoot cameras. These will give you much better results if you know how to get the best out of the camera. However they will still give you much better results than your phone even in auto.

For best results learning how to use it outside of auto mode is essential. It might seem daunting at first but once you get used to using it outside of auto mode, you will never look back. You also have the option of adding more lenses in the future.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2665285/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+A5000.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4397829/Trail/searchtext%3EEOS+1200D.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cheers, lots of great info.

Not sure if I can stretch to €300+ so I might hold out for a few months and pick up something similar to the suggested instead of wasting money on something not much better than my phone :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I quite like the Canon compacts, I have had two G9's and a G12. I also have an Olympus XZ1 which my wife uses and is excellent. This is a recent shot she took with the Olympus.

372639.jpg

There is also a guide to assist selection of Canon cameras here which may assist. Even if you don't want a Canon you can search for other cameras which are similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Pics on my phone look good on the phone and when I look at them on the laptop, its when I print them they turn crap.

I'd be using those kiosks in the pharmacy's so that may be part of the problem...

Will have a look into the above, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Cheers, lots of great info.

Not sure if I can stretch to €300+ so I might hold out for a few months and pick up something similar to the suggested instead of wasting money on something not much better than my phone :/

Would you be willing to go second hand? Possible to get well cared for entry level SLR that would be a huge step up on your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Hi guys,

Had a look through the FAQ's etc but think I need more help. My partner has a childrens clothing company and getting a website set up, looking at camera options for pictures for the website. Pictures will be of small details on dolls and childrens clothing and then photo shoots outside also. I had been looking at DSLR Nikon d3300 as this is kind of budget we would be looking at but after going into a shop in Dublin was advised maybe a similar priced Bridge might suit better due to not needing different lense etc. A sony hv 400 was what was recommended on the basis that most of outside shoots will be of our 2 year old and easier to use the zoom for different shots instead of changing lense's. If anyone has any advice be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Pics on my phone look good on the phone and when I look at them on the laptop, its when I print them they turn crap.

I'd be using those kiosks in the pharmacy's so that may be part of the problem...

Will have a look into the above, cheers :)

I used to take a lot of photos once with an 35 mm SLR Film camera - now, I use a budget (point and shoot) digital camera - this gives me nowhere near the quality that I used to get with my Pentax film camera.

When I enlarge anything the quality seriously deteriorates - as the resolution of the camera sensor dictates, in essence, the size of print that you can make.

I suggest you look at these two articles on camera sensor resolution;-

https://photographylife.com/the-benefits-of-a-high-resolution-sensor

https://photographylife.com/camera-resolution-explained

Remember the quality of the original "snap" dictates what you can do with it.

I am not an expert photographer myself but I have basic grasp of what the articles mean.

The photographylife web site is also well worth an overall look as you consider where to pitch yourself in your purchase. Hope this helps and Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

mooeire wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Had a look through the FAQ's etc but think I need more help. My partner has a childrens clothing company and getting a website set up, looking at camera options for pictures for the website. Pictures will be of small details on dolls and childrens clothing and then photo shoots outside also. I had been looking at DSLR Nikon d3300 as this is kind of budget we would be looking at but after going into a shop in Dublin was advised maybe a similar priced Bridge might suit better due to not needing different lense etc. A sony hv 400 was what was recommended on the basis that most of outside shoots will be of our 2 year old and easier to use the zoom for different shots instead of changing lense's. If anyone has any advice be greatly appreciated

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What's your budget?

Probably around €500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Alwayus worth having a look here for secondhand cameras etc.
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/photography/196/?#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mooeire wrote: »
    Hi guys,

An Olympus XZ-2 might fit your requirements, particularly it's closeup capabilities: https://www.flickr.com/cameras/olympus/xz-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I'm moving up from a basic DSLR and was looking at the Canon EOS 750D, is there a similar model in the Nikon range? and were would I get the best deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I'm looking for a camera to take cycling for mostly landscape shots. currently considering olympus m5 mark ii or fuji x-t1 based on weatherproof (sweat etc) and manual controls. cons are that neither is particulalry pocketable (which is the reason i don't take my canon 600d cycling). Any other cameras I'm failing to consider? Any insights on which of the above is more suited to the task?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

Bebop wrote: »
    I'm moving up from a basic DSLR and was looking at the Canon EOS 750D, is there a similar model in the Nikon range? and were would I get the best deal?

With regards buying it, I have mine ordered since December 14th through pixmania and im still waiting, I cant really complain tho as it wasnt as expensive as most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Canon EOS 1200
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/canon-e...s/321492/408.0

Hi Folks,

I am getting into photography and I was wondering could anyone tell me if this is a good deal from Curry's. E420 after cashback and it comes with the extra lens.

I would just be taking snaps of wildlife, nature etc. Nothing too taxing.

Is it worth getting that spare lens?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

hi folks,

I'm thinking of buying a canon dslr for my brother as a thank you gift.

I had decided on the 1200d at €350 on amazon or possibly the currys one mentioned above with the extra lens

but with the double cashback offer (that finishes tomorrow), should I go the extra bit and get the 700d at about €510 as a way of "future" proofing? It does look v. good value at that price.

(or i could be mean and get the 700d for myself and give him my year old 600d)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

http://www.connscameras.ie/p/canon-eos-100d/p-8714574602653

with the cashback it's 460. much nicer camera, 1200 feels very entry level. Note there isn't much difference in performance and the identical 18-55 is middling but the 100d is a technological marvel (to me at least) and the 1200 is very pedestrian

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marineengineer

I am currently in the process of reviewing Canon camera's and I'm unsure which one would be suitable for me as a beginner.

I have always had an interest in photography so it is important I get a camera that will help me develop and improve this interest.

Is there anybody who could recommended a good overall Canon camera. I'm willing to spend roughly €600.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think the 50D was a great starter camera and still is. You should get a body for 350 and then have a bit left for a good lens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are really going to get into photography then any of the entry level DSLR's will be fine. They will all have sensors which are big enough. They will all have Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Program. This is what you need to learn photography.

The differences will be in the ISO performance and the more you pay the better it will get but the modern bodies now perform better than the pro bodies did only a few years ago.

There will also be things like the quality of the chimp screen (LCD Display) and how the body feels to you. However if you buy a camera then you are moving into a system. Look at what that system has to offer in the future. You seem to have decided on Canon and it is a fine system.

There will be all sorts of other stuff which will be there to distract you. These are things like the scene modes and various other gimmicks. I do not know of any photographers that produce good quality images which use these things.

Take time to consider the lens. I know that the Canon kit lenses are not the best. Lenses are important get a good one if you can but if all you can afford is a kit lens then you will still be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mamarazzi

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have had my Canon 550d for about 4 years now, it's been a great camera for me overall. Wondering whether an upgrade to a 760d would be worthwhile? The 760d has some obvious advantages like an LCD that can be angled rather than the fixed screen on my 550d, it has built-in wireless and higher max ISO. It's also 24MP v 18MP. The 760d has a DIGIC 6 processor as opposed to a DIGIC 4 processor - I've no idea as to how that would impact actual usage, maybe speed in RAW format shooting?

The sensor size is the same though, so even though the resolution is that bit higher, I wonder would the picture quality be any better?

A lot of my use would be running race photography, so I'm interested in the focusing ability of the 760d and how it could compare with the 550d. It has 19 auto-focus points rather than the 9 on my 550d, would this give me a big advantage for sports photography?

Basically I'm wondering is an upgrade worth the money? Anyone here upgraded from/to a similar camera, and was it worth it?

(The main lens I use on my 550d is a Tamron 18-270mm which I find dead handy and very flexible, although I think the quality is slightly short of the Canon lenses I have.)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Mamarazzi wrote: »

Like Bill O'Herlihy (RIP) who began discussions by saying I know nothing about football...I am not an expert on cameras....but considering what I intend in the future....2 zoom lenses appear to be wasteful....a fixed lens for the lower end (50 or 85 mm) and a zoom that goes beyond 200 might be a better option in the long run. Those expert might clarify if I'm on right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Mamarazzi wrote: »

Looking at this offer, these lens appear not to be VR, in other words probably don't have vibration reduction built in. I'd stay away from any non VR lens, esp on the likes of a 55-200.
    Apart from that, I've had both these lens in the VR version and found them to be very good, esp. as kit lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A friend of mine has asked some advice on a new thing to play with... she has seen mine and wants something similar...

I have a Pentax Q, with a range of lenses. It's small and easy to travel with. It has a wide angle zoom lens which is ideal for me, coz I work in interior architecture and need to photograph interiors and building facades... I also have a range of lenses for street shooting, zoom photography etc... It also has a full range of features similar to that of a DSLR, so I can pretend to have a clue about what I am doing...

However, the Q is a bit obscure, so sourcing lenses and accessories is usually done via Hong Kong or Japan through EBay or Amazon. So isn't for the faint hearted.

I have advised her to look at the Micro Four Thirds range from Panasonic/Olympus or to try the fixed lens cameras from Fuji (100 series...?) as I am aware that many pro photographers use these as daily cameras.

I'm a bit out of the loop, so i'd appreciate any advice on what models are most current & what is best for her... her main uses will be holiday snaps, creative street photography & architectural/interior stuff. Budget I'm sure will be reasonable but not massive.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    A friend of mine has asked some advice on a new thing to play with... she has seen mine and wants something similar...

I have a Pentax Q, with a range of lenses. It's small and easy to travel with. It has a wide angle zoom lens which is ideal for me, coz I work in interior architecture and need to photograph interiors and building facades... I also have a range of lenses for street shooting, zoom photography etc... It also has a full range of features similar to that of a DSLR, so I can pretend to have a clue about what I am doing...

However, the Q is a bit obscure, so sourcing lenses and accessories is usually done via Hong Kong or Japan through EBay or Amazon. So isn't for the faint hearted.

I have advised her to look at the Micro Four Thirds range from Panasonic/Olympus or to try the fixed lens cameras from Fuji (100 series...?) as I am aware that many pro photographers use these as daily cameras.

I'm a bit out of the loop, so i'd appreciate any advice on what models are most current & what is best for her... her main uses will be holiday snaps, creative street photography & architectural/interior stuff. Budget I'm sure will be reasonable but not massive.

I'd say you were spot on in recommending M4/3. Best bang for the buck and small in size without sacrificing quality would be the E-M10 II. The Panasonic GM5 is even smaller and worth a look. The about to be released Olympus Pen-F isn't cheap but is rather sexy and might be of interest.

Thanks for the feedback ... I do like the m4/3 system and it looks fairly future proof. I'll start looking into the bodies and lenses

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback ... I do like the m4/3 system and it looks fairly future proof. I'll start looking into the bodies and lenses
    You're welcome. You might be interested that the GM5 appears to be only 2mm taller than the Q with a sensor of about 15 times the area, so if your friend really wants something small, it might be worth a look.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,570

Actually, I sent the GM5 to her today. It seems to have sparked some interest.

Otherwise she's been looking at a second hand Fuji X-T1, which seem to get good reviews. Just concerned over lens cost. Micro Four Thirds seems to have lots of options including third party...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Nebaw wrote: »
    With regards buying it, I have mine ordered since December 14th through pixmania and im still waiting, I cant really complain tho as it wasnt as expensive as most places.

I ordered a Canon EOS 750D through Pixmania.ie in January (€700+shipping)
    It got lost in transit, eventually they conceded that it was lost but they were out of stock and offered a refund but it took 3 weeks to get the charge back on my credit card

Advertisement