Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

Hey Guys,

Hoping to buy the Canon G7X - Has anyone had any experience with it? I'm also not sure where to buy it, It is 599 everywhere I look [except for ebay and the likes] however I'm unsure what to do about warranties.

Harvey Norman are offering 2 year warranty [on top of the original 1 year] for 99 euro whereas if you buy directly from canon a 2 year guarantee is included in the price.

I would have thought it would be more expensive buying directly.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

How important is an extended warranty? With the EU protection in space you could still get something repaired after 1 year if you fought for it I'd imagine.

Why don't you spend that €99 on insurance instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d3300-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-vr-lens-black/3394038.p?id=1219091220519&skuId=3394038

Friend heading to the states in a couple of weeks. He's looking to pick up a decent camera, just for general use, kids photos etc with a budget of €300/400.

I know zero about cameras, 20 minutes research and the above option came up? Anyone any thoughts if I'm on the right track?

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

Hi, was thinking of getting a entry level DSLR and was looking at Nikon D3300.

Just wondering what the main difference between f/3.5-5.6 II ED Zoom Lens and 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II Zoom Lens?

Can't post links but prices for these on PC World/Currys UK seem to be a lot cheaper that their Irish prices (£279/£299 v €499).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

ilovespudss & Red Rua: Nikon D3300 is a great entry level camera with any kit lens.

I can't confirm the difference between ED and non-ED lens but I imagine the difference is not noticeable for beginners. ED is a coating on the lens that theoretically sharpens the colors as they land on the sensor. To be honest it sounds like a marketing gimmick but I have never tried it so don't quote me. More reading from Nikon here.

For reference I use a Nikon D5200 and the 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II Zoom Lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Red Rua wrote: »
    Hi, was thinking of getting a entry level DSLR and was looking at Nikon D3300.

Just wondering what the main difference between f/3.5-5.6 II ED Zoom Lens and 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II Zoom Lens?

Can't post links but prices for these on PC World/Currys UK seem to be a lot cheaper that their Irish prices (£279/£299 v €499).

The VR stands for Vibration Reduction. What's the price difference between that and the non VR one? If its near €100 I'd get the non VR model and the spend the money on a second hand 50mm 1.8. That will cover loads for you. The Nikon kit lenses pretty decent compared to their competitors.

Its ten years since I bought my first dslr, a Nikon D50, which I still have. I bought mine up the north and saved about €100 at the time.

What's the price difference between that and the non VR one? If its near €100 I'd get the non VR model and the spend the money on a second hand 50mm 1.8. .

Difference is only £20stg - £279 v £299

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Difference is only £20stg - £279 v £299

Vr will be a help but at those focal lengths it wouldn't be essential. The price difference is small though so maybe it might be worth getting the vr. If I was buying a d3300 I'd be investing in better quality lenses like the 35mm f1.8 DX. It has a fixed focal length of 35mm so it will be less versatile than the kit lens. However image quality and low light performance will be better.

For 20 bucks get the VR. I'd still try to pick up a cheap fast lens like the 50mm f1.8. Or, as mentioned above and if the budget can stretch, the 35mm 1.8.

Thanks. Think I now might go for body only and 35mm f/1.8 to start with and maybe get a zoom lens in the future

• Advertisement

Thanks. Think I now might go for body only and 35mm f/1.8 to start with and maybe get a zoom lens in the future

If you do and want to get a short zoom, the old 18-50mm can be picked up fairly cheap second hand. If you are new to photography you may feel a little restricted by the 35mm(52.5mm) focal length especially with landscape shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wondering what they are like as an entry into the world of photography?

Seen one on a local classifieds, going at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I've been strongly considering getting a Canon G3X

I like the zoom range on the lens I recently tried one out in a camera shop and I was very impressed.

I know it's got no built in viewfinder and I think if knock a lot of use and fun out of it travelling lots as I frequent Spain a lot and I never like lugging around heavy cameras and lenses.

Just wondering has anyone any thoughts? I know the camera appears to be not selling and I know the Panasonic FZ1000 is better value but I think I'm a bit of a die hard Canon fan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

They are well matched but I do like the Canon G range, as a mostly Nikon owner. The G's also look more like a compact which can be good when you want to look more like a tourist on the street whereas the Panasonic looks more like a smallis DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rory a m

Hi I'm thinking of buying my first decent camera..I have always had a keen interest in photography but never really followed it..Could you give me some ideas on what would be a good starter camera I do some hill walking would like to get better shots than with my camera phone..If you could even advise me where I could find out some info it I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would suggest you look at a class of camera sometimes referred to as enthusiasts compacts: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2015-roundup-advanced-zoom-compacts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

rory a m wrote: »
    Hi I'm thinking of buying my first decent camera..I have always had a keen interest in photography but never really followed it..Could you give me some ideas on what would be a good starter camera I do some hill walking would like to get better shots than with my camera phone..If you could even advise me where I could find out some info it I would appreciate it.

What size would you prefer? Totally pocketable, jacket-pocket or around shoulders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hey guys, so Im looking to get a decent camera, have a baby on the way and do a good bit of travelling and miss out due to never having one.
    The camera Im looking at is the Nikon D3300, the reviews said its a good starter camera what would be your thinking of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

it's a great starter camera, so you won't go wrong with it.

Also buy a 50mm 1.8 prime lens for portraits, and you'll have 5000 baby snaps in no time at all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

it's a great starter camera, so you won't go wrong with it.

Also buy a 50mm 1.8 prime lens for portraits, and you'll have 5000 baby snaps in no time at all! :pac:

50mm wont auto focus on the D3300 as far as I remember. You might be better off getting the 35mm 1.8 DX. Its a lovely lens for portrait work. Very nice camera by the way. Light weight and easy to carry around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

fixxxer wrote: »
    50mm wont auto focus on the D3300 as far as I remember. You might be better off getting the 35mm 1.8 DX. Its a lovely lens for portrait work. Very nice camera by the way. Light weight and easy to carry around.

That's the old D lens that won't focus. The more recent G is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

So I've been looking at these 2 for awhile and am struggling to choose one, anyone have any opinions or experience of them?

This will be my first real camera and have a budget of around €400, the sony is a little bit more but I can stretch to it if I think it's worth it. Have done a lot of research (maybe too much!) and it's pretty much down to these 2, mainly for the larger sensor size.

Thanks for any feedback...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

rickyjb wrote: »
    So I've been looking at these 2 for awhile and am struggling to choose one, anyone have any opinions or experience of them?

This will be my first real camera and have a budget of around €400, the sony is a little bit more but I can stretch to it if I think it's worth it. Have done a lot of research (maybe too much!) and it's pretty much down to these 2, mainly for the larger sensor size.

Of those two I'd go for the Fuji... Just remember to look into the cost of lenses, as this will be a big factor.

My camera is a Pentax Q... The IQ isn't massive, but it gives great results and the lenses are very good. + they don't cost a huge amount in comparison to other systems.... Its also very pocketable, so I'm inclined to bring it with me more.

Have a look at the lenses for both systems before you purchase. I'd pick what ever camera has the best lenses to suit your needs. Fuji lenses, although mostly excellent, are very expensive. Lenses for the Sony e mount system are generally cheaper but many aren't as good as Fuji lenses but they are still perfectly fine and can still produce excellent images. They are perfect for begginers or casual photography.

The main advantage of the Sony system is that it allows for the use of full frame e mount lenses too so you have the option of using their professional line of full frame lenses with your camera too. These are very large and expensive lenses though and the field of view will be smaller on an aps-c camera but if you're considering upgrading to full frame Sony mirrorless camera in the future it keeps your options open.

If I was buying a Sony I'd up the budget and get an a6000. It's far superior to the a 5100 and has a view finder as well. It's heavily discounted at the moment due to the arrival of the a6300.

Also have a look at micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus and panasonic. There are some good micro 4/3 cameras out there for not much more than your budget. They have a stronger lens lineup than either the Sony or the Fuji.

The lenses for this system is mostly small and compact and many offer very good optics. The sensors in these cameras are a bit smaller than an aps-c camera but still much larger than what's in a compact camera or a in phone. They are capable of producing excellent images with the right technique and the right lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Hi, I used to do lots of photography and printing in my younger days and have a canon film slr (eos 500) with two lenses. Which canon digital back would you recommend I could buy? I want to spend up to 500 euro. Also where is a good place to order online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Have a look at the lenses for both systems before you purchase. I'd pick what ever camera has the best lenses to suit your needs. Fuji lenses, although mostly excellent, are very expensive. Lenses for the Sony e mount system are generally cheaper but many aren't as good as Fuji lenses but they are still perfectly fine and can still produce excellent images. They are perfect for begginers or casual photography.

The main advantage of the Sony system is that it allows for the use of full frame e mount lenses too so you have the option of using their professional line of full frame lenses with your camera too. These are very large and expensive lenses though and the field of view will be smaller on an aps-c camera but if you're considering upgrading to full frame Sony mirrorless camera in the future it keeps your options open.

If I was buying a Sony I'd up the budget and get an a6000. It's far superior to the a 5100 and has a view finder as well. It's heavily discounted at the moment due to the arrival of the a6300.

Also have a look at micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus and panasonic. There are some good micro 4/3 cameras out there for not much more than your budget. They have a stronger lens lineup than either the Sony or the Fuji.

The lenses for this system is mostly small and compact and many offer very good optics. The sensors in these cameras are a bit smaller than an aps-c camera but still much larger than what's in a compact camera or a in phone. They are capable of producing excellent images with the right technique and the right lens.

Ended up getting a panasonic DMC-GM5 as it was nearly 100 euros cheaper. Smaller sensor but as you say more lens options. The Sony was always a little out of budget to be honest.

Ordered it through "Mobicity UK" which in hindsight wasn't the best idea but I should have it tomorrow. Great price but I wouldn't trust them much and probably wouldn't use them again.

Thanks for your advice!

Ended up getting a panasonic DMC-GM5 as it was nearly 100 euros cheaper. Smaller sensor but as you say more lens options. The Sony was always a little out of budget to be honest.

Ordered it through "Mobicity UK" which in hindsight wasn't the best idea but I should have it tomorrow. Great price but I wouldn't trust them much and probably wouldn't use them again.

Thanks for your advice!

A nice little camera with plenty of lens options. The smaller sensor will be more than good enough for most situations and where it struggles(some low light situations) so does many cameras with aps-c sensors.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Going to buy my first DSLR absolute novice, I was looking at the Canon 600d if it can be got or the Nikon D5200, has anyone a preference or can ye recommend anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

macadam wrote: »
    Going to buy my first DSLR absolute novice, I was looking at the Canon 600d if it can be got or the Nikon D5200, has anyone a preference or can ye recommend anything else.

they're both great cameras with great lenses available, but really, go to a store and get a feel for them.

i was shocked at how different they felt(this is a nikon canon thing and not those 2 specific models). one felt great the other didn't seem to belong in my hands. Even the shutter click sounded so different, one sounded like a real camera, the other sounded plasticky.

Once i'd held both and played around with them. the decision was easy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

macadam wrote: »

My first camera body was the 600d, have had it 2 years and took all the pictures here with it and both of these videos. I'm now at the stage of upgrading but I'll be keeping my 600D it's a great camera and I couldn't recommend it more.

Advertisement