Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

I see Conns have second hand 600D for €299.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

also second the 600d BUT I'm in the process of also getting something smaller (panasonic tz100?). you can't go wrong with a clean 600d, but you should list use cases. there are many times that I wish it was smaller (hence I'm in the market)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

This post has been deleted.

I have been thinking of getting one for my portfolios of work and Im into sport and hill walking so nature, sport, family and work etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

sdevine89 wrote: »
    I see Conns have second hand 600D for €299.99

An extra €179 buys you the superior Nikon d7000
    http://berminghamcameras.ie/nikon-d7000-body-only-a-stock.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

macadam wrote: »
    I have been thinking of getting one for my portfolios of work and Im into sport and hill walking so nature, sport, family and work etc..

Concentrate more on the lenses that you will require rather than the bodies.

You will keep the glass a LOT longer than the body. The bodys are just the accessories you put on the back of your lenses.

When you work out what glass will meet your requirements then look at a body that will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Hi All,

Looking to get a smaller camera for carrying around. I am getting back into my photography now that I have some extra time and currently have a Niko D70 from way back that I just don't take out as much due to the size. I have a dog and when out walking have really missed having a easily portable camera with good IQ that I can just throw over the shoulder, the phone is okay but obviously not the best. Also I have a few trips coming up and would like to carry the camera on holidays without massive amount of bulk.

I am torn between fixed lens and 4/3. What I would like and can compromise on the camera:

- Tilt screen, I like the possiblities it brings and I am excited with exploring a new creative avenue with that.
    - Easy to carry around, not necessarily pocketable but light and easy to carry over the shoulder out walking
    - Don't need viewfinder, can buy as add-on later if needed.
    - I like to take candid shots, street photography, architecture. Zoom is not a must.

I have looked at the Fuji X70 with the fixed lens and also the Olympus E-PL 7. I like the idea of a fixed lens with the Fuji, the discipline it will impose plus the available dials for manual control. The E-PL7 of course offers the option to expand with interchangeable lens in the future.

As I have said I have DSLR since the D70 was released, so I am catching up with what's out there now and if anyone has an opinion or a camera that I am completely missing out on I welcome suggestions.

My max budget would really be around €750.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The bigger sensor on the Fuji would appeal to me but the fixed focal length wouldn't. You've almost answered your own question as the X70 ticks the boxes! :) There is a built in 35mm and 50mm tele mode which looks decent. It basically a cropped and upscaled image.

I've an EPL3 and was never that impressed with it compared with a DSLR, even an old one like my Fuji S5 pro. Maybe the tech has moved on with m4/3 with regards to speed and iso performance but a fast lense like a 1.7 will always be a 3.4 equiv when it comes to bokeh.

I forced myself to use the EPL3 for a while but going back to the DSLR was a breath of fresh air. Speed, ease of use and IQ are a priority for me. There were too many trade off's with the Oly.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I did spot that as I was typing! Ha.

Guess I am just looking to see if I am missing anything else outside of those two. I do keep swaying saying maybe I could still grow with the Olympus if I do fancy a different lens in time, with the Fuji I am limited in that regard but at same time that intrigues me :-)

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking to get a smaller camera for carrying around. I am getting back into my photography now that I have some extra time and currently have a Niko D70 from way back that I just don't take out as much due to the size. I have a dog and when out walking have really missed having a easily portable camera with good IQ that I can just throw over the shoulder, the phone is okay but obviously not the best. Also I have a few trips coming up and would like to carry the camera on holidays without massive amount of bulk.

I am torn between fixed lens and 4/3. What I would like and can compromise on the camera:

- Tilt screen, I like the possiblities it brings and I am excited with exploring a new creative avenue with that.
    - Easy to carry around, not necessarily pocketable but light and easy to carry over the shoulder out walking
    - Don't need viewfinder, can buy as add-on later if needed.
    - I like to take candid shots, street photography, architecture. Zoom is not a must.

I have looked at the Fuji X70 with the fixed lens and also the Olympus E-PL 7. I like the idea of a fixed lens with the Fuji, the discipline it will impose plus the available dials for manual control. The E-PL7 of course offers the option to expand with interchangeable lens in the future.

As I have said I have DSLR since the D70 was released, so I am catching up with what's out there now and if anyone has an opinion or a camera that I am completely missing out on I welcome suggestions.

My max budget would really be around €750.

Thanks.

Between those I'd go for the micro 4/3 camera because in reality the sensor won't perform that much worse than an an aps-c camera, especially any aps-c camera that hasn't the latest 20-24 mp sensors from Sony. You'll also have a wide range of high quality lenses to chose from in micro 4/3, even some of the cheapest lenses are good performers and most of the lenses are very compact.

Should you want to upgrade the body in the future you'll have a wide choice to choose from as micro 4/3 lenses are interchangeable between brands.

The poster above is correct in that an f1.7 lens on a micro 4/3 won't offer the same depth of field as an f1.7 on a aps-c camera, however f1.7 on a micro 4/3 is closer to f2.6 on an apc-s camera rather than f3.4. An f1.7 lens on an micro 4/3 is equivalent to f3.4 on a full frame camera.

• Advertisement

Thanks John_Boy. Yep, that's what is niggling at me, the regret of not going for something I can upgrade over time. In terms of 4/3 with a similar footprint to the EPL7 and tilting screen I don't see much that offers the same or better for the value at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    however f1.7 on a micro 4/3 is closer to f2.6 on an apc-s camera rather than f3.4.

In the same way f1.4 is f2.1 on apc-s!

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Thanks John_Boy. Yep, that's what is niggling at me, the regret of not going for something I can upgrade over time. In terms of 4/3 with a similar footprint to the EPL7 and tilting screen I don't see much that offers the same or better for the value at this point.

The only trade off is that it has no viewfinder, apart from that it's a nice camera. Not having a viewfinder mightn't bother you though. Also if video is a big priority I'd go for a Panasonic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hey, I have read through the thread for a good bit. I am looking for a camera, I don't have one other than my nubia z9 mini phone. I have a friend in the states until Friday. My budget is 250 euro (I know it is small). I am looking for a bridge camera probably. I don't want a huge camera, I want something that I can fit in a jacket pocket (hang round my neck at a push). I mainly want it for taking photos when hiking, holidays and at the Euros :).

Sorry, I have no idea what I am looking for in any technical sense. Any camera options would be appreciated or even telling my I am wasting my time spending 250 and expecting to get a camera any better than my phone. Thanks!!

Found this one for 299 dollars: Olympus PEN E-PL6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have a look at the Pentax Q7... Either with the 01 prime lenses for street photography, or the 02 zoom lens for flexibility... Great package, and you'll have the option to add lenses if you feel the need to later on.

The Q series is great for giving you all the physical controls like a DSLR and people generally comment that it lets them be very creative...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Raoul wrote: »
    Hey, I have read through the thread for a good bit. I am looking for a camera, I don't have one other than my nubia z9 mini phone. I have a friend in the states until Friday. My budget is 250 euro (I know it is small). I am looking for a bridge camera probably. I don't want a huge camera, I want something that I can fit in a jacket pocket (hang round my neck at a push). I mainly want it for taking photos when hiking, holidays and at the Euros :).

Sorry, I have no idea what I am looking for in any technical sense. Any camera options would be appreciated or even telling my I am wasting my time spending 250 and expecting to get a camera any better than my phone. Thanks!!

Found this one for 299 dollars: Olympus PEN E-PL6

I would say you are unlikely to do better than that E-PL6 at that price if that is the price including lens. You could look at a category often referred to as advanced or enthusiast compacts, but those are mostly going to be more than that while not being as good.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Have a look at the Pentax Q7... Either with the 01 prime lenses for street photography, or the 02 zoom lens for flexibility... Great package, and you'll have the option to add lenses if you feel the need to later on.

The Q series is great for giving you all the physical controls like a DSLR and people generally comment that it lets them be very creative...

Cheers, can't seem to find it for under 400 dollars though. Starting to think the US may not be any cheaper than over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Here's an S1 which is a newer/better model... And can be picked up at Argos, for additional peace of mind.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-Q-S1-Mini-CSC-Digital-Camera-02-Lens-Kit-Gunmetal-and-Red-/401108521159?nav=SEARCH

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would say you are unlikely to do better than that E-PL6 at that price if that is the price including lens. You could look at a category often referred to as advanced or enthusiast compacts, but those are mostly going to be more than that while not being as good.

Saw that link already. TBH, I don't really know enough about it. So was looking for a consensus on what to go for ha.

I was looking at this bundle for the E-PL6:
    http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Ritz-Polaroid-Cleaning-Protector/dp/B018EKAGCY?ie=UTF8&keywords=Olympus%20PEN%20E-PL6&qid=1462981528&ref_=sr_1_3&refinements=p_76%3A2661625011&sr=8-3

Struggling to find the pentax q1 link for argos.

Raoul wrote: »
    Saw that link already. TBH, I don't really know enough about it. So was looking for a consensus on what to go for ha.

I was looking at this bundle for the E-PL6:
    http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Ritz-Polaroid-Cleaning-Protector/dp/B018EKAGCY?ie=UTF8&keywords=Olympus%20PEN%20E-PL6&qid=1462981528&ref_=sr_1_3&refinements=p_76%3A2661625011&sr=8-3

Struggling to find the pentax q1 link for argos.

That is a good deal.

The Q7 has a comparatively small sensor and would likely have poorer performance in low light situations.

sensor-Pentax-Q7-Olympus-PEN-E-PL6.png

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    That is a good deal.

The Q7 has a comparatively small sensor and would likely have poorer performance in low light situations.

sensor-Pentax-Q7-Olympus-PEN-E-PL6.png
    Thanks for the info. Most likely have to order by the end of the week. So would be great if there were other suggestions or confirmation that this is a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

So Im travelling to Vietnam in July and looking to do a Tv and Media Production college course in September.

Ive always been interested in photography but Ive never had the balls to go and get a decent Dslr cause of the price but I think now is the time.

Im looking to spend about €300 max if that's possible. I can spend maybe €50 more though if necessary.

Ive been looking into the Nikon D3300 or Canon 1200d as these seem to be the best entry level Dslrs.

Any ideas guys please?

TheStook wrote: »
    So Im travelling to Vietnam in July and looking to do a Tv and Media Production college course in September.

Ive always been interested in photography but Ive never had the balls to go and get a decent Dslr cause of the price but I think now is the time.

Im looking to spend about €300 max if that's possible. I can spend maybe €50 more though if necessary.

Ive been looking into the Nikon D3300 or Canon 1200d as these seem to be the best entry level Dslrs.

Any ideas guys please?

The d3300 is the better camera but I'm not sure if any are really great for video. A micro 4/3 camera from Panasonic would be a better bet if video is important. Something like a gx7 could be had second hand for that money these days and it takes good stills and good video while aso being compatible with a wide range of lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The d3300 is the better camera but I'm not sure if any are really great for video. A micro 4/3 camera from Panasonic would be a better bet if video is important. Something like a gx7 could be had second hand for that money these days and it takes good stills and good video while aso being compatible with a wide range of lenses.

Honestly hadn't considered anything other than a Nikon or Canon but admittedly I know absolutely nothing about cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

Hi guys and gals - hoping for some advice.

current level/equipment: no experience!/nothing!

Aim - wildlife (buzzards, herons kingfishers, rabbits, hares, foxes that run around the field behind my house), would like to try some astrophotography, plus nice pics of family as they come along. if i got some nice shots i would like to be able to frame them and put them on the wall.

budget - i am prepared to pay ~1000 euro between body and a couple of lens.

leanings: canon 760s, or nikkon 5500. have looked at a number of reviews on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMLApH63AgQ - he seems to prefer the image quality of the nikon but recommends the canon 760s for beginners and wildlife for ease of use and good autofocus for burst shots).
    various websites seem to lean to the nikon 5500 as well for image quality(http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5500)
    however i am a complete beginner. the canon allows me to (i believe) adjust the iso and aperture settings on the fly and will adjust the touchscreen image to allow me see what effect it has on the captured image which the nikon does not. i think a slightly better image quality is no good if i am unble to set the camera correctly.
    canon also (from what ive read) has a better selection of lens's which run somewhat cheaper than the nikon.
    i've been leaning to these brands as the mounts for telescopes (which i might get in the future) are more easily got for these 2 brands.
    anyone have strong thoughts or advice?
    thanks!
    brian

Focus on working out what lens/s would best suit your intended uses then look at what camera to stick on the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

brianiac wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals - hoping for some advice.

current level/equipment: no experience!/nothing!

Aim - wildlife (buzzards, herons kingfishers, rabbits, hares, foxes that run around the field behind my house), would like to try some astrophotography, plus nice pics of family as they come along. if i got some nice shots i would like to be able to frame them and put them on the wall.

budget - i am prepared to pay ~1000 euro between body and a couple of lens.

leanings: canon 760s, or nikkon 5500. have looked at a number of reviews on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMLApH63AgQ - he seems to prefer the image quality of the nikon but recommends the canon 760s for beginners and wildlife for ease of use and good autofocus for burst shots).
    various websites seem to lean to the nikon 5500 as well for image quality(http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5500)
    however i am a complete beginner. the canon allows me to (i believe) adjust the iso and aperture settings on the fly and will adjust the touchscreen image to allow me see what effect it has on the captured image which the nikon does not. i think a slightly better image quality is no good if i am unble to set the camera correctly.
    canon also (from what ive read) has a better selection of lens's which run somewhat cheaper than the nikon.
    i've been leaning to these brands as the mounts for telescopes (which i might get in the future) are more easily got for these 2 brands.
    anyone have strong thoughts or advice?
    thanks!
    brian

Looking at the same 2 cameras myself the Nikon d5500 or Canon 760

I subscribe to the youtube channel that posted this link have a look at the review.(They have loads of reviews)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3UVKYm4KSg

this is their review of the d5500
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf_aqeeQ8jY

By the looks of it for what your looking for the 760 would suit you better based on the review. I don't have either but I'd say at the moment I'm swaying towards the d5500. Also don't forget Sigma and Tamron also do excellent lenses for both and a lesser cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

Hi Glic - i ended up getting the d5500! the camera shop in swords had a refurbished one with the 18-55 lens for 699 so made the rash decision to just get it. has a 2 year warranty on it so reasonably reassured about it being 2nd hand. im going to start lens hunting now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi,

I am looking to get a camera. My budget is €270-ish but I could add a little extra to it for the right camera.

I want a camera that is small in size (compact or bridge size), that I can take with me in my handbag, I want something that will take nice, clear pictures of scenery, people, etc. and small/quick videos too, the usual. I would like something that has a good optical zoom also.

So far I have been looking at these cameras, and I would love to hear your thoughts/views/opinions on them, and any recommendations/suggestions you have for a camera also.

Canon 111C012BA SX610 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-111C012BA-PowerShot-Digital-Optical/dp/B00RVC8S5O/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1463705904&sr=1-3&keywords=canon+powershot+g7x

Canon PowerShot SX600 -
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Canon-PowerShot-SX600-HS-16MP-18x-Optical-Zoom-3-inch-LCD-Digital-Compact-Camera-Black_1502650/

Sony DSCWX500 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCWX500-Digital-Compact-Tiltable/dp/B00WSIAE4Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1463705904&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=canon+powershot+g7x

Canon Powershot SX710HS - http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-sx710hs-black.html

Canon Powershot SX700 - http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-sx700-digital-camera.html

Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 - http://berminghamcameras.ie/panasonic-lumix-fz72.html

Sony Cyber-shot HX60 - http://berminghamcameras.ie/sony-hx60.html

Canon PowerShot SX510 / Canon SX710 / Canon PowerShot SX720 / Canon SX530 / Canon SX540

I would really appreciate any help at all with this.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I am looking to get a camera. My budget is €270-ish but I could add a little extra to it for the right camera.

I want a camera that is small in size (compact or bridge size), that I can take with me in my handbag, I want something that will take nice, clear pictures of scenery, people, etc. and small/quick videos too, the usual. I would like something that has a good optical zoom also.

So far I have been looking at these cameras, and I would love to hear your thoughts/views/opinions on them, and any recommendations/suggestions you have for a camera also.

Canon 111C012BA SX610 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-111C012BA-PowerShot-Digital-Optical/dp/B00RVC8S5O/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1463705904&sr=1-3&keywords=canon+powershot+g7x

Canon PowerShot SX600 -
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Canon-PowerShot-SX600-HS-16MP-18x-Optical-Zoom-3-inch-LCD-Digital-Compact-Camera-Black_1502650/

Sony DSCWX500 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCWX500-Digital-Compact-Tiltable/dp/B00WSIAE4Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1463705904&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=canon+powershot+g7x

Canon Powershot SX710HS - http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-sx710hs-black.html

Canon Powershot SX700 - http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-sx700-digital-camera.html

Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 - http://berminghamcameras.ie/panasonic-lumix-fz72.html

Sony Cyber-shot HX60 - http://berminghamcameras.ie/sony-hx60.html

Canon PowerShot SX510 / Canon SX710 / Canon PowerShot SX720 / Canon SX530 / Canon SX540

I would really appreciate any help at all with this.

All of these appear to have a tiny 1/2.3 sensor so they will have fairly poor low light image quality. Also, zoom lenses with a greater than 5x zoom ratio tend to deliver compromised image quality.

Of those, I think I would lean toward the Sony Cyber-shot HX60.

If you want to consider something with better low light capabilities and trade off zoom range for that, the Olympus STYLUS XZ-10 would be worth consideration.

Advertisement