Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

cnocbui wrote: »
    All of these appear to have a tiny 1/2.3 sensor so they will have fairly poor low light image quality. Also, zoom lenses with a greater than 5x zoom ratio tend to deliver compromised image quality.

Of those, I think I would lean toward the Sony Cyber-shot HX60.

If you want to consider something with better low light capabilities and trade off zoom range for that, the Olympus STYLUS XZ-10 would be worth consideration.
    Thank you so much for your reply and the information you provided.

Can you recommend a camera that has a higher zoom than 5x and will take good video/photo?

I was looking at the Sony ILCE 5000L

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3351379010/from-nex-to-alpha-sony-introduces-20-megapixel-a5000

It doesn't appear to have a zoom but I could pick up a lense for it another time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am not very familiar with the Sony Mirrorless range. A quick look indicates the Sony SEL18200LE E Mount 18-200mm F3.5-6.3. Might be your best bet in terms of focal length range. It would cost a lot more than the camera itself, which is not unusual for system cameras, just thought I would mention it. The image quality possible would be up with DSLRs though.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am not very familiar with the Sony Mirrorless range. A quick look indicates the Sony SEL18200LE E Mount 18-200mm F3.5-6.3. Might be your best bet in terms of focal length range. It would cost a lot more than the camera itself, which is not unusual for system cameras, just thought I would mention it. The image quality possible would be up with DSLRs though.
    Thanks, yeah I thought it would be expensive alright.

Need to order the camera this week, so going to have to decide soon. May do more research over the next day or two and decide. Need the camera for 24th of the month.

What about any of these?

Canon EOS 100D / Canon EOS Rebel SL1
    Canon EOS 1300D / EOS Rebel T6
    Nikon D3300
    Canon EOS M10 - https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-m10-black-body/0584C041/?sku=0584C041
    Canon EOS 600D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hello, as above can anyone recommend a good one within price range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Just1nlucas

With that price you have a wide range of options.
    I picked up a Nikon D7000 with 1600 clicks for only €385 and I got a 18-105mm lens for €100.
    I know someone selling a d700 for €650 which is very low money for a full-frame.
    If you need a full package check adverts and donedeal, you will easily get everything you need for €600. Just try keep the shutter count under 50k and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I have a Nikon D5100 and am more than happy with it.
    I might upgrade to a D7100 one of these days. A refurbished/secondhand Nikon D7100 may hit the upper end of your budget, but I think it would be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Want to buy a point and shoot , and leaning towards Sony .
    Can you recommend the best one - budget €500 max

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Find the most recent version of the Sony RX100 your budget will stretch to and grab that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Want to buy a point and shoot , and leaning towards Sony .
    Can you recommend the best one - budget €500 max

I'd be spending that on a m4/3, a DSLR or keep the money and use the camera on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

After some research I concluded that one of these 2 would be best suiting to me, for general good quality video and photos.
    Only problem is the price, cheapest going on eglobal was 465E for the M3 and 450E for G7X.
    My price range is limited to 405, really pushing it to max IF NEED BE to 420E but thats about it, anyone seeing the prices going down in the next month or so, cause I need it by mid-July. Looked into the rx100 ii, despite it being cheaper, it did not compare to the canon models. I also would not mind getting it used, no one else is selling it though.
    Anyone know any cheap websites apart from eglobal where I might get it for around 420E
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on the following camera that will be in lidl next week:

canon powershot sx530 hs

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=41767

Would this be a good camera for someone who is starting to get into photography?
    It would be mainly for family snaps and some scenery ones too.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm looking for a good budget digital camera to take some holiday pictures.
    Ideally I'd like to spend around E50. But would be willing to go a little higher for something exceptional.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on the following camera that will be in lidl next week:

canon powershot sx530 hs

Would this be a good camera for someone who is starting to get into photography?

Thanks!

For that money I'd be going for a mirrorless camera or a DSLR.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    For that money I'd be going for a mirrorless camera or a DSLR.

Thanks for that. I am considering the Nikon D3300 as an alternative although it is 90euro dearer

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4245153/Trail/searchtext>Dslr.htm

Just looking for a low price model as I'm very new to photography.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hi,

canon powershot sx530 hs

Thanks!

It all depends on what you mean by "someone who is starting to get into photography"

If you mean by that you want to have a camera a bit better than a phone and you are happy with that then that seems OK.

If instead you want to learn about exposure, composition and post production then you would soon hit limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Thanks for that. I am considering the Nikon D3300 as an alternative although it is 90euro dearer

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4245153/Trail/searchtext>Dslr.htm

Just looking for a low price model as I'm very new to photography.

A Nikon d3300 is a much, much better camera and is well worth the €90 extra. If you want to get into photography it's the perfect camera. It has great image quality and will give you far more options if you want to go beyond auto mode. It also has the advantage of having interchangeable lenses with some very good lenses available at reasonable prices (such as the 35mm f1.8 prime lens) and it also has the advantage of having a large aps-c sensor which will give you much better quality low light images and a shallow depth of field.

I can't see that canon being much better than phone camera quality tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

A Nikon d3300 is a much, much better camera and is well worth the €90 extra. If you want to get into photography it's the perfect camera. It has great image quality and will give you far more options if you want to go beyond auto mode. It also has the advantage of having interchangeable lenses with some very good lenses available at reasonable prices (such as the 35mm f1.8 prime lens) and it also has the advantage of having a large aps-c sensor which will give you much better quality low light images and a shallow depth of field.

I second this. I use a D3300 and it's a great beginner camera. Very easy to use I feel.

Thanks to you and Shannon for your help! I will be going with the D3300 kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Finally made up my mins in these 2 listinga, but don't know which ones better, someone here with expertise mind pointing it out to me, much appreciated.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/#/product/15439

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-PowerShot-G7-X-20-2-MP-Digitalkamera-Schwarz-wie-neu-/152148901926?nav=SEARCH
    (I could prob get this down to 410E incl postage and the m3 for 460)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

Looking for a little advice please i was looking at this Canon EOS1300D - I am a complete beginner and my use would be in sports photography and also for family events. I have a €500 gift voucher but would probably add the €100 euro if this was good value.
    Any pointers greatly appreciated!

http://www.currys.ie/Product/canon-eos-1300d-dslr-camera-with-1855-mm-dc-iii-zoom-lens-and-75300-mm-dc-ii-telephoto-zoom-lens-black/337147/398.0.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Hi folks,

A quick probably stupid question, are these two both the exact same cameras with same lenses? Just the Argos lens says Aperture f/3.5-5.6. & the pcworld says AF-S DX 18 – 55 mm f/3.5-5.6 II ED zoom lens

Also is it still a good value entry level DSLR? Or would there be anything else recommended for a smiliar price.

Thanks

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/nikon-d3300-dslr-camera-with-1855-mm-f3556-zoom-lens-black/327746/404.4.0

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4245153/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/3|19780865|Digital%2Bcameras|14419441/c_3/4|cat_14419441|Digital%2BSLR%2Bcameras|14419500.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Hi folks,

A quick probably stupid question, are these two both the exact same cameras with same lenses? Just the Argos lens says Aperture f/3.5-5.6. & the pcworld says AF-S DX 18 – 55 mm f/3.5-5.6 II ED zoom lens

Also is it still a good value entry level DSLR? Or would there be anything else recommended for a smiliar price.

Thanks

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/nikon-d3300-dslr-camera-with-1855-mm-f3556-zoom-lens-black/327746/404.4.0

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4245153/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/3|19780865|Digital%2Bcameras|14419441/c_3/4|cat_14419441|Digital%2BSLR%2Bcameras|14419500.htm
    As outlined a few posts up, this is a very good entry-level DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

Hi, I'm looking for some help in picking a camera for a budget of roughly 250 (I can go a tiny bit higher if I have to). It's just for family pics but a lot of the ones that I was looking at don't seem to be rated highly in picture quality. Could you recommend one for me please? Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Pen-f on sale £960 amazon.co.uk for the next 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

I am planning to upgrade from my FujiFilm S9600 bridge camera and I had sort of settled on the Canon 750D, having originally considered the 1300D, but figured I would want to upgrade soon after buying it. I then had a look at the 760D and while internally it is essentially the same as the 750D, the positioning of the Mode Selector dial on the left and the presence of the top LCD panel give it a fell more akin to the higher end Canon cameras.

My dilemma is that I can't decide if it is worth the extra £70 (from Jessops), but I don't want to think afterwards that I should have gone for it, any advice appreciated.

As a follow up question, they have the 750D with a kit 18-55 lens but no similar option for the 760D, I am considering getting a 50mm Prime lens, but what would be a good starter zoom lens for general/landscape photography?

Thanks

dubred wrote: »
    I am planning to upgrade from my FujiFilm S9600 bridge camera and I had sort of settled on the Canon 750D, having originally considered the 1300D, but figured I would want to upgrade soon after buying it. I then had a look at the 760D and while internally it is essentially the same as the 750D, the positioning of the Mode Selector dial on the left and the presence of the top LCD panel give it a fell more akin to the higher end Canon cameras.

My dilemma is that I can't decide if it is worth the extra £70 (from Jessops), but I don't want to think afterwards that I should have gone for it, any advice appreciated.

As a follow up question, they have the 750D with a kit 18-55 lens but no similar option for the 760D, I am considering getting a 50mm Prime lens, but what would be a good starter zoom lens for general/landscape photography?

Thanks

For me having the top LCD on a traditional DSLR is essential. Bear in mind that it is my preference. You mightn't miss it if you never had it though!

Starting with just 50mm wouldn't be a good idea imo. It is way too zoomed for landscaping and even general use. It will be awesome though for low light, short portraits and wait until you start experimenting with bokeh! :)

I would always recommend a kit plus the 50mm for a beginner given 50's are so cheap but budget seems to be a big constraint.

If you can stretch your budget get the 760D with the kit lens seperate. It should cost much more than €100, then get the 50mm. Go second hand if you have to. It's a safe enough market.

If you go for the 750D, get the 50mm as soon as you have the money. Whatever you chose to do I've no doubt you'll be delighted and sometimes amazed with the step up from the bridge. I was! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

<snip>
    If you can stretch your budget get the 760D with the kit lens seperate. It should cost much more than €100, then get the 50mm. Go second hand if you have to. It's a safe enough market.

If you go for the 750D, get the 50mm as soon as you have the money. Whatever you chose to do I've no doubt you'll be delighted and sometimes amazed with the step up from the bridge. I was! :)

Thank you for the advice. I am now further leaning towards the 760D, I will have to stretch the budget :).

They don't seem to have the same kit lens (18-55mm IS STM) available separately, I will shop around and see where else I can find it, but failing that, would the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI LD Macro be worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Hey!
    Hope someone can give a recommendation.
    I'm looking for an all round camera to bring everywhere that can still give cracking photos.

I'm pretty new to photography, but I don't mind a learning curve.
    Must be pretty portable, so thinking fixed lens/mirrorless.
    Would heavily lean towards having a viewfinder

Budget is upto (but hopefully below!) €450 and I don't mind going 2nd hand. I'm hoping that it lasts a good few years.

Was thinking about the Sony RX100/Ricoh GR, Pansonic TZ80 or Sony a6000 if I could find one second hand. All 3 being very different cameras, I know!

Has anyone any advice?!

• Advertisement

dubred wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice. I am now further leaning towards the 760D, I will have to stretch the budget :).

They don't seem to have the same kit lens (18-55mm IS STM) available separately, I will shop around and see where else I can find it, but failing that, would the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI LD Macro be worth considering?

Not as a replacement for an 18-55mm. Had a quick look online and their kit lenses aren't as cheap as Nikons offering which I shoot.

Maybe Adverts.ie. I've got a few good bargains from there.

Given the price difference I'd probably plump for the 750D. As far as I can see it is only top lcd thats missing. You wont miss it if you never had it plus the camera is more compact.

Advertisement