Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience of the above camera? Is it good for taking artistic shots?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Hi all I'm currently using a Canon 6D for almost everything I do. I have a second camera, a Canon 600D that I'm considering selling and replacing with something smaller and more compact for weekends away and maybe a bit of street.

Any suggestions?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Fuji X series for digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Given the price difference I'd probably plump for the 750D. As far as I can see it is only top lcd thats missing. You wont miss it if you never had it plus the camera is more compact.

I got the 750D and threw in the 50mm 1.8 as well, now to start taking photos. Thanks for the advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A Nikon d3300 is a much, much better camera and is well worth the €90 extra.

How do you rate the Nikon d5200 which seems to be similar to the d3300. According to PCWorld's specs, it doesn't have image stabilisation (does the lens do this?), but does have image sensor cleaning. The comparison specs say also that the optical zoom is 0.78x for the 5200. This doesn't make sense because it has an 18 to 55 mm lens, so zoom should be 3x? The d5200 is €60 dearer than the d3300. A d5300 is also available with WIFI, and the ability to control it from a smartphone app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

dubred wrote: »
    I got the 750D and threw in the 50mm 1.8 as well, now to start taking photos. Thanks for the advice.

Sweet! So you got the 18-50 and the 50 1.8 too?

Happy shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

*Response to post #1,234

The D5200 image stabilization is done through the lens and not the camera body. Most 18-55mm kit lenses have IS built in but be sure to check as other lenses do not include this.

Perhaps someone else can answer your other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cloonkerin

I purchased a WX350 in February 2015. The lens cover didn’t retract fully from the first day. Within a few weeks the lens stopped opening completely and I had it repaired under warranty.

A year later, the battery went. I tried to charge it but it wouldn’t accept the charge. Thinking that the battery had reached the end of its (18-month) life I replaced it with a new one. That didn’t work either. Online forums gave plenty of accounts of people with similar experiences. Apparently, the charging function in a Sony Cyber Shot can simply stop.
    I bought an external charger and charged both batteries fully. When I put them back in the camera they didn’t work. The camera itself works when plugged into the charger. The guy at the repair centre says it sounds like a main-board failure, the camera is past its one-year guarantee and the repair cost would be slightly less than replacement cost.

Online fora are busy on both problems. Between lens and battery there are some problems with Sony cameras that appear quite common.

I have decided to replace and, much as I loved this camera, I will not risk buying a Sony again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hellothere27

Hi folks,

I realise everybody here is a DSLR guy or gal, but I am looking for some advice either way whether to purchase a DSLR or a point and shoot for my partner. She wants to get into photography - currently I am weighing the up the options as to whether to get her a basic point and shoot to get her started, allow her use that for a year or so and then if she is still into photography/still enjoys it/wants to progress, she can move to a DSLR or should I bite the bullet and stump up for a DSLR from the get go.

The two/three models I am looking at are either a Canan SX610 point and shoot or a Nikon D3300 or a similar Canon entry level DSLR - I believe the Canon EOS rebel is the equivalent.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    hellothere27

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm not an expert and really only a beginner myself to be honest but here's my advice anyway:

The Nikon D3400 was just announced yesterday. So I'd say either pick that up or get the D3300 at a better price as it will be the older model.

For a beginner I reckon either will be a great camera. They both come with guides built in that help when you start out also. There are loads of reviews on YouTube of the D3300 so definitely worth looking there.

I'd probably accompany the camera with a book also, maybe Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson or Digital Photography by Scott Kelby.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

I realise everybody here is a DSLR guy or gal, but I am looking for some advice either way whether to purchase a DSLR or a point and shoot for my partner. She wants to get into photography - currently I am weighing the up the options as to whether to get her a basic point and shoot to get her started, allow her use that for a year or so and then if she is still into photography/still enjoys it/wants to progress, she can move to a DSLR or should I bite the bullet and stump up for a DSLR from the get go.

The two/three models I am looking at are either a Canan SX610 point and shoot or a Nikon D3300 or a similar Canon entry level DSLR - I believe the Canon EOS rebel is the equivalent.

Thank you in advance,
    hellothere27

DSLR. End of.

A camera phone will cover a lot of what a P+S does. Read some reviews here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-round-up-interchangeable-lens-cameras-under-500

I'd go with the D3300

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hi folks,

Thank you in advance,
    hellothere27

Get her an enthusiasts P&S, which can roughly be classed as ones with a 1" sensor or larger, or alternatively look at mirrorless micro four thirds camera from Olympus or Panasonic. These options are a lot smaller and lighter than DSLRs while still delivering excellent results.

Thank you all for your advice. For those mentioning the Nikon D3300 and the like, would you class their picture quality much higher than a more portable type of model?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Get her an enthusiasts P&S, which can roughly be classed as ones with a 1" sensor or larger, or alternatively look at mirrorless micro four thirds camera from Olympus or Panasonic. These options are a lot smaller and lighter than DSLRs while still delivering excellent results.

Ok thank you. Would this type of camera lose a lot in terms of picture quality in reference to the DSLR with the smaller size? Can you please give me one or two examples of the above type of camera?

Thank you all for your advice. For those mentioning the Nikon D3300 and the like, would you class their picture quality much higher than a more portable type of model?

Yes, how much depends on the camera and lens, but there are always trade offs given the physics of how a camera works. Unless a small form factor is absolutely essential go for the DSLR.

Ok thank you. Would this type of camera lose a lot in terms of picture quality in reference to the DSLR with the smaller size? Can you please give me one or two examples of the above type of camera?

The image quality possible with a M4/3 camera is good enough that there are professionals shooting with them - weddings, fashion, etc. DSLRs have a couple of advantages like being slightly better at focus tracking moving targets like a bird in flight and in having a less grainy (noisy) picture quality when taking photos in very low lighting. For the most common types of subjects, DSLRs have no image quality advantage.

Probably the best way to see what sort of image quality is possible is to have a look at photos taken with them. Flickr have several user groups for the format, here is one of them: https://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/pool/

There are some nice ones here also:
    http://www.43rumors.com/weekly-43rumors-readers-pictures-roundup-111/
    http://www.43rumors.com/weekly-43rumors-readers-pictures-roundup-110/

M4/3 cameras have a very wide range of lenses that can be used with them.

In m4/3 cameras, I would suggest looking at the Olympus Pen E-PL6, Olympus Pen E-PL7 , the Panasonic GM5 and the Olympus E-M10.

The first two don't have a viewfinder but are very compact, the GM5 has a viewfinder and is the most compact M4/3 camera. All three could easily fit in a handbag. The E-m10 has the best viewfinder. They could all take the same lenses and would deliver comparable image quality.

For a compact camera with a fixed lens and decent sized sensor, I would recommend looking at a Panasonic LX100 and a Sony RX100. I think the Sony's are overpriced and that the LX100 is probably the best enthusiasts compact available. Photos taken with an LX100

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ScottScott

Hi everybody! I'm looking for a camera to use in street photography.
    Now I have a Nikon d3300, but I would like to join it with a more portable one.
    I'm thinking about one of the Fuji X series, I love their vintage style.
    Any opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davidlimerick

Canon 760d light and compact and great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Thanks David, Not sure if the 760 would be any different to the 600D weight and size wise anyway.
    I've been looking at the Fuji X range as suggested, seem to be a nice piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi. I have a birthday coming soon and the wife decided a DSLR is for me :D

I do like landscape stuff, (we have phones for family stuff so it probably won't be coming out for birthdays etc), low light night sky images (more of a curiosity), and the small stuff which as a family we do like searching for (insects and flowers). I realise that is a hell of a range from big to small.

I have settled on a Nikon, likely the D3300, although an easy way to get pics off would be nice via wifi as our camcorder gathers dust due to lack of easy connection.

What lenses should I be looking at. There is VR and non-VR lenses and from reading here that relates to image stabilisation. Card size is important and there is an array of options here also.

purchasing can Online (EU only) or bricks and mortar as it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Damien360 wrote: »

I have settled on a Nikon, likely the D3300, although an easy way to get pics off would be nice via wifi as our camcorder gathers dust due to lack of easy connection.

Nikon just released the successor to the D3300, the D3400...which is basically a D3300 with added wifi.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/consumer/d3400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ScottScott wrote: »
    Hi everybody! I'm looking for a camera to use in street photography.
    Now I have a Nikon d3300, but I would like to join it with a more portable one.
    I'm thinking about one of the Fuji X series, I love their vintage style.
    Any opinion?

The Fuji won't really be anymore portable than a d3300 tbh. The lenses for both systems are around the same size and the d3300 isn't really a big camera anyway as far as DSLRs go.

If you want something more portable have a look at m4/3 cameras. These have small bodies and compact lenses with image quality that is comparable to aps-c dslrs.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The Fuji won't really be anymore portable than a d3300 tbh. The lenses for both systems are around the same size and the d3300 isn't really a big camera anyway as far as DSLRs go.

If you want something more portable have a look at m4/3 cameras. These have small bodies and compact lenses with image quality that is comparable to aps-c dslrs.

I was almost tempted to suggest the Olympus Pen F, but it's hard to suggest to anyone who isn't James Bond or who doesn't fly by private jet.

Hi all,
    thanks for your help above - after much deliberation decided to opt for the Nikon d3300. Will see how it goes and hopefully she enjoys it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi all,
    thanks for your help above - after much deliberation decided to opt for the Nikon d3300. Will see how it goes and hopefully she enjoys it!

Can I ask you which lens did you get with it. Did you buy it as a kit ? I am looking at one of 2 options in pcworld.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Can I ask you which lens did you get with it. Did you buy it as a kit ? I am looking at one of 2 options in pcworld.

I bought it as a kit with the following lens: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-P VR

From what I understand the VR indicates that the lens has motors in it in order to stabilise the lens, counteracting for any hand movement when taking a picture to reduce bluriness.

I did a lot of shopping around and the best spot that I found price wise was Jessops, free UK delivery, I just used parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

cnocbui wrote: »
    I was almost tempted to suggest the Olympus Pen F, but it's hard to suggest to anyone who isn't James Bond or who doesn't fly by private jet.

It's a decent camera though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hi folks! I've got a Pentax k-30 which I love, but I'm looking for a mid-high end P&S to bring travelling around Asia for a few months next year.

The must-haves for me are:
    Pocketable
    RAW shooting
    30 sec + exposures
    Tripod screw hole
    Micro USB Charging

As I'm going travelling with it, I'd rather not spend too much - 3-400 would be the absolute limit. I'm happy enough to buy second hand.

So far I've been looking at the Sony RX100 M1, which seems to tick all the boxes, but I was wondering if anyone had some alternatives? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

TPD wrote: »
    Hi folks! I've got a Pentax k-30 which I love, but I'm looking for a mid-high end P&S to bring travelling around Asia for a few months next year.

The must-haves for me are:
    Pocketable
    RAW shooting
    30 sec + exposures
    Tripod screw hole
    Micro USB Charging

As I'm going travelling with it, I'd rather not spend too much - 3-400 would be the absolute limit. I'm happy enough to buy second hand.

So far I've been looking at the Sony RX100 M1, which seems to tick all the boxes, but I was wondering if anyone had some alternatives? Thanks!
    Hi
    I came on here to ask same question...have you made a a decision yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    I came on here to ask same question...have you made a a decision yet ?

I didn't see any better alternatives, so I took a chance on a 'used - acceptable' rx100m1 from Amazon for £165. No mention of damage to the lens, only signs of use on body and screen, which I can live with. Will send it back if the image quality is compromised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Looking to buy a camera to video (mainly) football games, is it better that I get a camera that can do video? or a dedicated video camera? Lets assume I will be near the halfway line so it would involve a lot of zooming etc. I have had both before and I found our fuji finepix was grand at pics and vid but I would be looking for something a bit better quality (video I mean), can someone point me in the right direction. I am concerned about the weather so is it possible to get a camera that would have a cover / sleeve to protect from the rain whilst filming? budget is 800ish, Thanks

Advertisement