Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Quick question,currently saving up for new camera will have hopefully around 1400-1600 to spend,would prefer canon as that's what I currently have.
    No need for full frame. I currently have a 50d and a canon M3 (mirrorless)
    So just looking for a good upgrade on the 50d ...it will probably be another few months before I am able to upgrade..
    One thing I need on it would be the LCD display on top..open to suggestions.
    Thanks
    The canon eos 7d mkii would be in an around your budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any recommendations for a decent compact(ish) camera? budget €300+ or thereabouts - mainly for bringing on holidays or when i'm not out specifically 'taking photos'; e.g. i'm going to be in budapest soon and have been warned a couple of times about crime, so would like something smaller than a DSLR, something i could stick in a pocket.

desirable: RAW output, decent max aperture.
    not important: zoom range; anything standard enough would be good for me - even a standard prime lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

any recommendations for a decent compact(ish) camera? budget €300+ or thereabouts - mainly for bringing on holidays or when i'm not out specifically 'taking photos'; e.g. i'm going to be in budapest soon and have been warned a couple of times about crime, so would like something smaller than a DSLR, something i could stick in a pocket.

not important: zoom range; anything standard enough would be good for me - even a standard prime lens.

I use a canon m3 as my travel camera,small enough to stick in a pocket..I use mainly a 11-22 and 55-200 lens ...a nice compact system to use.
    Should be able to pick up a decent second hand one on adverts or eBay for that money.
    Plenty of nice mirrorless systems out there at the moment if the canon doesn't suit..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

sony rx-100ii second-hand will be in budget and if you are happy with the handling it will do whatever you need it to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Could anyone recommend a bridge camera for me for between €200 - €300 ? Not currently interested in a dslr before anyone suggests. Thanks.

Also would I be better of going for rechargeable or just regular battery powered ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi,

I'm looking to get a cheap waterproof camera *max* 100 Euro for a few snaps. Will be going between scuba diving and beach/water parks in summer and looking to get something to do me for that. Looking at a Polaroid ie090 in Argos @ 79.99 is this good value? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Looking for a dslr new or used what would you suggest? Or any travel cameras available reasonably priced that would be good quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looking for a dslr new or used what would you suggest? Or any travel cameras available reasonably priced that would be good quality?

If it's for travel, then I would suggest one of the smaller micro four thirds cameras from Panasonic or Olympus, like the olympus E-Pl6 or 7. Alternatively, what's often termed an advanced compact might also suit, like the Panasonic LX100.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If it's for travel, then I would suggest one of the smaller micro four thirds cameras from Panasonic or Olympus, like the olympus E-Pl6 or 7. Alternatively, what's often termed an advanced compact might also suit, like the Panasonic LX100.

Doesn't need to be a travel camera a dslr is what I'm leaning more to

Doesn't need to be a travel camera a dslr is what I'm leaning more to

What is your budget?

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What is your budget?

350 maybe push 400 it's my first dslr so will probably upgrade in a year or two

Could anyone recommend a bridge camera for me for between €200 - €300 ? Not currently interested in a dslr before anyone suggests. Thanks.

Also would I be better of going for rechargeable or just regular battery powered ?

Bump

Seen this on adverts. Would it be a good buy or could I do better. Is going down the second hand route with a bridge camera advisable?

http://www.adverts.ie/12514020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Bump

Seen this on adverts. Would it be a good buy or could I do better. Is going down the second hand route with a bridge camera advisable?

The camera itself I can't comment on but the specs look decent enough...as for going second hand I would have no problem especially off that particular seller on adverts..I have purchased stuff from them before and all is top quality and they offer a 6 month guarantee..they are a pharmacy in Kilkenny city and have a decent camera store up stairs..

Bump

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Sensor is tiny, no better than a phone, zoom range is far too extreme and the price is almost what they cost new in the US.

350 maybe push 400 it's my first dslr so will probably upgrade in a year or two

Something like a d3300 would be a good bet or else as has been.suggested a micro four thirds camera like the offering from olympus and panasonic.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Sensor is tiny, no better than a phone, zoom range is far too extreme and the price is almost what they cost new in the US.

+1on this. That camera is no bargain. A small bit extra will get you a dslr that will have much better image quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Have a read of this. It might help you decide. :)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/image-sensor-size-matters/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ianmcdoh

Hi all,

Looking at getting a new camera, currently using a Nikon Coolpix L310.

Camera will primarily be used for travel and concerts.

I have a budget of €500. Any suggestions? Was considering getting the Olympus Pen EPL7...any thoughts or suggestions are welcome?

Thanks for putting us wide. Any suggestions you could steer me towards. Budget is about 250 to 300 ?

I find it hard to recommend cameras in that sort of price range because they are not really any better, apart from having an optical zoom, than good phones these days.

That said, this Sony RX100 would be worth considering as it has a decent sized 1" sensor and a good lens that would make it actually superior to what phones can offer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCRX100-Advanced-Digital-F1-8-4-9/dp/B008CNMZDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490078370&sr=8-1&keywords=RX100

Other than that, I would suggest perhaps trying to find a used Panasonic LX100, which has an even bigger 4/3 sensor and a great lens. Someone seems to have snagged one on ebay for €345 recently, but they mostly seem to go for around €400, typically.

This article might be worth looking at for alternative ideas: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-roundup-compact-enthusiast-zoom-cameras

For a cheap option, though with a smaller sensor but still highly capable, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on this Olympus XZ-2: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-HARDLY-USED-OLYMPUS-STYLUS-XZ-2-CAMERA-BOXED-VERY-NICE-/222445064969?hash=item33cac25309:g:UIYAAOSw2gxYyUKI

Superb lens.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. The LX100 does look the part but is too out of my price range.

Any opinions on the Nikon B500 and the Fujifilm S9900w ?

Again its just for holidays and other amature stuff.

Thanks for that. The LX100 does look the part but is too out of my price range.

Any opinions on the Nikon B500 and the Fujifilm S9900w ?

Again its just for holidays and other amature stuff.
    They both have tiny sensor so image quality isn't going to be great. If not going for something with a larger sensor you would be just better off using your phone tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NewLeaf17

I have been look at some of the Fujifilm enthusiast cameras and am interested in some of the retro looking ones such as X100F and X100T.

I have always just had basic enough camera's but now I want to invest in a good camera for family functions, family outings, work, holidays etc and I love the idea of the fixed lens and also I love the look of these cameras, the retro, classic look.

I would have an interest in taking photos but just for myself and framing for my own home etc

Just wondering if anyone could steer me in any direction as to what camera might suit me best.

Thanks for your advice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hello all. I'm looking to upgrade from my Sony A5000. I'm unsure of which way to go. I like the size, and I looked into the next one up, the Sony A6500 but the guy in a shop I went into said that photo wise there isn't too much of a difference, it's mostly video quality and I don't need better video quality.
    I was looking into the pro Sony range, seem very expensive but they're more compact that the Canon and Nikon equivalent. I mostly do travel photography and some portraits. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open with regards price. If I find the right camera but it's €2k then so be it.
    Or should I just keep the A5000 and get some snazzy lenses? Maybe a wide angle one or something?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

dory wrote: »
    Hello all. I'm looking to upgrade from my Sony A5000. I'm unsure of which way to go. I like the size, and I looked into the next one up, the Sony A6500 but the guy in a shop I went into said that photo wise there isn't too much of a difference, it's mostly video quality and I don't need better video quality.
    I was looking into the pro Sony range, seem very expensive but they're more compact that the Canon and Nikon equivalent. I mostly do travel photography and some portraits. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open with regards price. If I find the right camera but it's €2k then so be it.
    Or should I just keep the A5000 and get some snazzy lenses? Maybe a wide angle one or something?
    Thanks

In what way is the A5000 limiting you now? What do you want to achieve and that camera has stopped you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

NewLeaf17 wrote: »
    I have been look at some of the Fujifilm enthusiast cameras and am interested in some of the retro looking ones such as X100F and X100T.

I have always just had basic enough camera's but now I want to invest in a good camera for family functions, family outings, work, holidays etc and I love the idea of the fixed lens and also I love the look of these cameras, the retro, classic look.

I would have an interest in taking photos but just for myself and framing for my own home etc

Just wondering if anyone could steer me in any direction as to what camera might suit me best.

Thanks for your advice

Need more information...

Is the 23mm focal length right for you or do you need something wider or closer to the subject. Personally I love the 23mm focal length (on DX sensors), it's very versatile. I had the X100 (actually still have it but gathering dust) and now the X-T2 with the 23mm lens. It's my goto setup for most situations. I do quite like 35mm (again on DX) though for something a bit closer.

Budget? What is it? You mention the X100F and X100T... they're the same camera, the X100F is just the newer version. Choosing between them essentially boils down to which one fits the budget. Both will be excellent choices but I've read many reviews of the X100F that basically put it on par with the likes of the X-Pro2 and X-T2 in terms of performance and image quality. If budget was quite large... I'd be going X-Pro2/X-T2 with a 23mm f2 lens. Same thing as the X100F but room to add lens in future.

Also, these are pricey enough cameras. Your money, do with it as you please but laying out that kind of money on a camera because you "love the idea of the fixed lens" and "the look of these cameras" seems impulsive to me. To be fair though, with the limited requirements you've managed to choose a damn good camera. Fuji are leading the way in mirrorless systems so I give them a thumbs up personally. I've seen others recommend the Olympus systems on here before. They have some camera that would also meet what you're looking for... if nothing else just look at another system to compare against.

NewLeaf17 wrote: »

Thanks for your advice

Perhaps take a look at the Olympus Pen-F as a more versatile alternative with a not dissimilar aesthetic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

CabanSail wrote: »
    In what way is the A5000 limiting you now? What do you want to achieve and that camera has stopped you?

I'd like to be able to use an external flash. I had one on an old DSLR and noticed a huge difference indoors.
    The photos are often blurry when not using a tripod. There's no image stablization.
    And I blow up a lot of photos for my house so the best quality for that the better.

Perhaps have a look at an Olympus Pen F or E-M5 II, as Olympus have the best image stabilisation of any manufacturer. Those two models have excellent stabilisation - over 4 stops worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Hello People,

I have a €200 budget to buy a camera for a club bar. This will be left for use by anyone and everyone that wants to use it, It is primarily going to be used for building a social media and Facebook page.

It needs to be robust and very easy to use.

Can anyone recommend something fool proof?

Advertisement