Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

dball wrote: »
    Hello People,

I have a €200 budget to buy a camera for a club bar. This will be left for use by anyone and everyone that wants to use it, It is primarily going to be used for building a social media and Facebook page.

It needs to be robust and very easy to use.

Can anyone recommend something fool proof?

I'd say if you have decent phone - use it.
    Otherwise any point and shoot will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dball wrote: »
    Hello People,

I have a €200 budget to buy a camera for a club bar. This will be left for use by anyone and everyone that wants to use it, It is primarily going to be used for building a social media and Facebook page.

It needs to be robust and very easy to use.

Can anyone recommend something fool proof?

NIkon W100

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-ft30eb-k-tough-compact-camera-black-10118739-pdt.html

Parcel motel it to yourself or find one from an Irish supplier. Great TOUGH compact. Will do everything you need it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi,

I am looking to pick up a camera, I want something that is going to last me a few years as I don't plan on selling it or anything, instead keeping it until it pretty much dies by itself.

I've been looking around, and Canon seem to be the most recommended, so I've looked up some of their cameras and have have found a few I like.

I'm looking for your thoughts/opinions on them and your suggestions for other cameras.

I want a camera that will last for a few years, is sturdy, will take photos and videos.

I'm happy to buy refurbished/second hand if it means getting a better camera for a good price.

The cameras I am looking at are:

Canon EOS 40D
    Canon EOS 50D
    Canon EOS 550D
    Canon EOS 600D
    Canon EOS 700D
    Canon 1000D / Digital Rebel XS
    Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3
    Canon EOS 1100D / T6
    Canon EOS M10

I'm leaning towards the M10 and the 600D, but I would like your opinions and suggestions on other cameras :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hi,

I am looking to pick up a camera, I want something that is going to last me a few years as I don't plan on selling it or anything, instead keeping it until it pretty much dies by itself.

I've been looking around, and Canon seem to be the most recommended, so I've looked up some of their cameras and have have found a few I like.

I'm looking for your thoughts/opinions on them and your suggestions for other cameras.

I want a camera that will last for a few years, is sturdy, will take photos and videos.

I'm happy to buy refurbished/second hand if it means getting a better camera for a good price.

The cameras I am looking at are:

Canon EOS 40D
    Canon EOS 50D
    Canon EOS 550D
    Canon EOS 600D
    Canon EOS 700D
    Canon 1000D / Digital Rebel XS
    Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3
    Canon EOS 1100D / T6
    Canon EOS M10

I'm leaning towards the M10 and the 600D, but I would like your opinions and suggestions on other cameras :)

Thanks.

What's your budget and will the camera be primarily used for photos or video?

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What's your budget and will the camera be primarily used for photos or video?
    €500 and primarily photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

€500 and primarily photos.

A used nikon d7100 is what I would go for and a 35mm f1.8 lens

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Hi folks I have been using a bridge camera (Fujifilm Finepix s4800) for a few years but I find judging pictures from the live view screen difficult so I have been looking to get a camera with a viewfinder. I also find it quite annoying to use on occasion and get to focus on what I want it to, the lack of control is sometimes frustrating.

I mentioned this to a friend and he recommended I get a DSLR camera, and he offered to sell me his old Canon EOS 20D with a lense.

I've never used a DSLR before but I suppose it would be good to learn.

I'm a bit concerned though because the camera he is offering is over ten years old and surely must be very obsolete? (although it seems to be in excellent condition, still in original packaging etc). It also has less MP, (although would the bigger sensor result in better pics?)

What would you recommend? Would the Canon EOS 20D be a good step up from the bridge or is the camera so old as to be not worth bothering with?

Full Marx wrote: »
    Hi folks I have been using a bridge camera (Fujifilm Finepix s4800) for a few years but I find judging pictures from the live view screen difficult so I have been looking to get a camera with a viewfinder. I also find it quite annoying to use on occasion and get to focus on what I want it to, the lack of control is sometimes frustrating.

I mentioned this to a friend and he recommended I get a DSLR camera, and he offered to sell me his old Canon EOS 20D with a lense.

I've never used a DSLR before but I suppose it would be good to learn.

I'm a bit concerned though because the camera he is offering is over ten years old and surely must be very obsolete? (although it seems to be in excellent condition, still in original packaging etc). It also has less MP, (although would the bigger sensor result in better pics?)

What would you recommend? Would the Canon EOS 20D be a good step up from the bridge or is the camera so old as to be not worth bothering with?

What's your budget?
    What kind of photos you are taking usually?

20d is really old. It has DIGIC II CPU, which could be good enough for you, however I would rather get old Canon 5D. It has the same CPU, but it is a full frame and it will give you fantastic image quality.
    Keep in mind that it would be great if you will get a decent lens too.

sebphoto wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    What kind of photos you are taking usually?

20d is really old. It has DIGIC II CPU, which could be good enough for you, however I would rather get old Canon 5D. It has the same CPU, but it is a full frame and it will give you fantastic image quality.
    Keep in mind that it would be great if you will get a decent lens too.
    He is giving me the camera and lens (not sure what one, presume it was the one he got with it) for 50 quid.

I could spend about 300/ 350.

The photos I take are usually of various antiquities, ruins etc. Sometimes wildlife (in association with the former)

• Advertisement

He is giving me the camera and lens (not sure what one, presume it was the one he got with it) for 50 quid.

I could spend about 300/ 350.

The photos I take are usually of various antiquities, ruins etc. Sometimes wildlife (in association with the former)

Well for 50 quid, why not. You also need card reader (if you don't have one) and battery charger for 20d.
    20d has very tiny LCD on the back. It's really difficult to judge whether your photo is sharp enough etc. It's a crop sensor, so keep that in mind. Regarding lenses - there are many different lenses available for 20d. Cheapest imho would be 50mm f/1.8 which cost circa €80 (second hand).

It's easy to get caught up in the gear. Don't, if you can help it.

Your frustrations with the bridge camera are valid, IMHO. A DSLR might be just the thing you need to take more enjoyment from the craft and the results.

An EOS 20D is an old camera now, but, so what?

A google search turned up this set of sample images:

https://pixelpeeper.com/cameras/?camera=7

There's plenty a person can critique, but honestly, there's nothing wrong with what that camera is capable of for even twice the price your pal is asking.

Buy it, try it, see if a DSLR is for you. Change it only when you know you'll see a benefit in the results of your shooting. Anything else is just fluff for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm thinking of picking up a camera that will be mostly used for travel, holidays and family events. I don't think I want to get too into lenses etc

I really like the style of the Fuji x30. It has a viewfinder, not too big, seems to have good reviews.

It's seems to be discontinued. Is it still worth purchasing or would I have trouble down the line?

Budget is about €550.

The one mirrorless camera i was looking at was the a5100. How is the bundled lens for my general uses?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

JayZeus wrote: »
    It's easy to get caught up in the gear. Don't, if you can help it.

Your frustrations with the bridge camera are valid, IMHO. A DSLR might be just the thing you need to take more enjoyment from the craft and the results.

An EOS 20D is an old camera now, but, so what?

A google search turned up this set of sample images:

https://pixelpeeper.com/cameras/?camera=7

There's plenty a person can critique, but honestly, there's nothing wrong with what that camera is capable of for even twice the price your pal is asking.

Buy it, try it, see if a DSLR is for you. Change it only when you know you'll see a benefit in the results of your shooting. Anything else is just fluff for the most part.
    I've been looking at a 40d too, would that be a lot better than a 20d? I get get it for about 120Euro.

Many thanks everyone for the advice.

I've been looking at a 40d too, would that be a lot better than a 20d? I get get it for about 120Euro.

Many thanks everyone for the advice.

The 40D will give you 10MP instead of 8MP, 6.5FPS instead of 5, 3" instead of 1.8" screen. Is that worth 70 euro extra?

Remember, if it breaks, it's just not worth spending anything on fixing it.

For me, I'd spend the 50 on your pals camera and see if a DSLR is right for you. You know it's in good condition, working properly etc. The extra 2MP and 1.5FPS are probably not so important. The 3" display is definitely nicer, but only if you stop and check and review pictures in the field. For me, I'd live with the 1.8" for a while and if you decide a DSLR makes sense, leave the 70 euro in the kitty to spend on a camera you really want.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The one mirrorless camera i was looking at was the a5100. How is the bundled lens for my general uses?

I have the a5000 and it's great for travelling. It's small and the photos are great. I usually only carry the bundled lens and it does me grand. Got a zoom lens for €225 and I bring it out on special occasions. The price seems to jump a lot with them. I got mine for €400, then it went on sale for €330 for a while, now it's in one shop I saw yesterday for €450. And I bought it 2 years ago! So shop around, you might be able to get one second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Thanks very much for the reply dory.

I'm kinda torn between a mirrorless like the a5100 and a good point and shoot like the Sony Rx 100 models.

If I'm using it a lot I can probably expand the a5100 when I get more experience, but that means more money on lenses etc. whereas the rx 1000 models is the one outlay.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A used nikon d7100 is what I would go for and a 35mm f1.8 lens
    Thank you so much. I've done some looking around online and found some other, similar cameras. I am not a pro photographer, however, photography is something I would like to get into, as a hobby rather than profession.

What would you opinion be on these cameras?

Nikon D3300, D5000, D5200 D600, D7000

I've seen some of them in refurbished condition, some include lenses, some don't, but I could always get a lens at a later date I'm sure, its the camera that is the main thing obviously.

Also while I am here, are there any website you could recommend for second hand cameras? I know of eBay and have found some others, I'm a bit wary though as I've never bought second hand cameras before so I'm unsure as to what to lookout for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have the D600 and use it as a spare body. It was the first Fx body I bought and I really did not like it so quickly bought a D800 which I use a lot. Having said that I had to send the D800 in for srevice a while ago and so relied on the D600 for a few weeks. I have added a battery grip to each body to get the extra grip and shutter release.

The things I did not like about the D600 will probably not have any bearing on you. It is a good solid body which is weather sealed. It has the internal motor so can use older lenses. The shutter on it is much quieter than the D800 and I will use it when shooting at an event where noise is an issue. The reason i do not like that body is that it is laid out more like an entry level body than a pro body. The things which are easily accessible are more suited to those shooting Jpeg. If it were my only body I would soon get used to using it but much prefer the ergonomics of the pro bodies.

Just be warned that if you do buy a full frame body that your lenses are often going to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

In a position next week to buy my first new camera,they have been all second hand up to this point...currently have a canon 50d and a canon m3.
    Looking to upgrade the 50d ..
    I have narrowed it down between two cameras the 80d or the 7d mark ii if I go with 80d I can then afford a decent lens with it ...for the 7d it will be body only and use what lenses I have currently..
    It will used for sports ( Athletics ) some wildlife and portraits.. so looking for opinion from people who's has eather model ...pros or cons
    The 7d mark ii is the front runner at the moment..
    Thanks

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have the D600 and use it as a spare body. It was the first Fx body I bought and I really did not like it so quickly bought a D800 which I use a lot. Having said that I had to send the D800 in for srevice a while ago and so relied on the D600 for a few weeks. I have added a battery grip to each body to get the extra grip and shutter release.

The things I did not like about the D600 will probably not have any bearing on you. It is a good solid body which is weather sealed. It has the internal motor so can use older lenses. The shutter on it is much quieter than the D800 and I will use it when shooting at an event where noise is an issue. The reason i do not like that body is that it is laid out more like an entry level body than a pro body. The things which are easily accessible are more suited to those shooting Jpeg. If it were my only body I would soon get used to using it but much prefer the ergonomics of the pro bodies.

Just be warned that if you do buy a full frame body that your lenses are often going to be more expensive.
    Thank you so much for this, could I ask, what things did you not like about the D600?

My last camera was an Olympus SP560UZ so that is the type of camera I am used to though I don't mind changing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

harr wrote: »
    In a position next week to buy my first new camera,they have been all second hand up to this point...currently have a canon 50d and a canon m3.
    Looking to upgrade the 50d ..
    I have narrowed it down between two cameras the 80d or the 7d mark ii if I go with 80d I can then afford a decent lens with it ...for the 7d it will be body only and use what lenses I have currently..
    It will used for sports ( Athletics ) some wildlife and portraits.. so looking for opinion from people who's has eather model ...pros or cons
    The 7d mark ii is the front runner at the moment..
    Thanks

Looks like much of a muchness. Both have strengths.

The 80D is much newer though whereas the 7D has a lot of pro features. Personally I would pick neither and try to trade up to full frame like a 5D mark III or iv or at least a 6D. You would also need to trade in any APS-C lenses as they won't work with a full frame camera.

Saruman wrote: »
    Looks like much of a muchness. Both have strengths.

The 80D is much newer though whereas the 7D has a lot of pro features. Personally I would pick neither and try to trade up to full frame like a 5D mark III or iv or at least a 6D. You would also need to trade in any APS-C lenses as they won't work with a full frame camera.
    While I would love a full frame I am fairly heavily invested in APS-C lenses ...and my budget probably won't stretch to a full frame and a few lenses to suit it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

harr wrote: »
    While I would love a full frame I am fairly heavily invested in APS-C lenses ...and my budget probably won't stretch to a full frame and a few lenses to suit it..

Wex Photographic are currently doing a double promotion on the 6D and the 7D II, you get £125 off at the checkout and another £ 125 cash back from Canon. The only downside is you will need parcel motel or similar for delivery.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera-body/p1560196

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-eos-6d-digital-slr-camera-body/p1532845

Wex Photographic are currently doing a double promotion on the 6D and the 7D II, you get £125 off at the checkout and another £ 125 cash back from Canon. The only downside is you will need parcel motel or similar for delivery.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera-body/p1560196

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-eos-6d-digital-slr-camera-body/p1532845
    Thanks very much for that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ianmcdoh

Im looking to upgrade from my Nikon bridge camera..... camera will be mostly used for holiday/sightseeing.... we have a budget of approximately €500. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Any opinions on the Panasonic TZ 60 ? I understand its 3 years old but they going for a decent price in the camera centre and they seem to have good reviews on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The TZ 60 has a 1/2.3 sensor, which is only a fraction larger than the sensor in a Samsung S7 phone (1/2.5).

Camera performance, particularly the ability to take photos in less than broad daylight lighting levels, is largely dependent on the sensor size, with bigger being better at imaging in low light levels. Cameras on phones are seeing far more serious development than compact cameras, which are dying out, so the ones in flagship phones now rival or better compact cameras.

The only real advantage of a compact camera over a phone is having an optical zoom.

My recommendation if you are seeking better quality than a phone camera can achieve would be to look at something with a bigger sensor which will then be more capable than a phone. Something with a one inch sensor like a Sony RX100 A bit more expensize than a TZ 60 but a considerably better camera and better value IMO. Likely much better resale value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thanks for that. I know about the rx100. Argos are doing the mk1 for 375 last I checked but its just out of my price range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

I have a ten year old 450D which I still get good shots from. Have a Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 70-300mm and a Sigma 30mm which covers me for everything I need. Have been toying with the idea of upgrading the body to an 80D. Would it be worth it? Im only an enthusiast hence why I've spent my money on lenses but for someone who does a small bit of post production, with LR, am I going to notice the difference for candid photography? I'm tempted to get a Mavic Pro instead which would give me more options but I'm still undecided. Could get the drone for a while and then shift it when I've had my fun and get a good used 80D then?

Advertisement