Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[FPL] - GW28 Team News & Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Shane732 wrote: »
    Stupid f*cking Suarez and Enrique.....

Wan*ers.

I'm top of my money league for the first time today but stupid Suarez and Enrique means I'm going to be like 15 points behind again....

Arrghgh infuriating game.

People gambled on a completely out of form player and won (Suarez). People will back the 16-1 nag at the races today and win too. It happens, it's what this game is all about. :)

My question to Suarez owners is this...now that this gw is up, will you keep him or sell him. In my eyes he has probably done *just* enough to plant a seed of doubt in heads. It's the exact situation that make me not get him in. I didn't want to have any indecision regarding him in gw29.

Enrique was a much better bet than Suarez this week imho...did you have any Liverpool cover at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

He was gone for Rooney the minute the 12 deadline passed last Sat for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

FutureGuy wrote: »
    People gambled on a completely out of form player and won (Suarez). People will back the 16-1 nag at the races today and win too. It happens, it's what this game is all about. :)

Have to disagree. Over the course of the season, Suarez has been shocking, no question. Anyone that brought him in before now has probably regretted it, especially with the wide variety of better options for cheaper.

However to say he was completely out of form coming into the double GW is very harsh. He scored against United and was massively unlucky to not get more than 2 points against Arsenal, he had a cracking game! Should have gotten an assist but Kuyt missed the penalty, then he hit the post, then had a shot saved after a cracking run through about 4 players. He's on form, just not getting rewarded for it until last night... I'm holding on to Suarez, I even said it before the match last night.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77535879&postcount=205

He's got a great run of fixtures and him and Gerrard are linking up brilliantly, hopefully they'll play together more and will start racking up some points. They play 5 of the bottom 7, and no noticably 'tough' fixtures other than possibly Newcastle away, but even they aren't as strong defensively as they were.

QPR (A)
    Wigan (H)
    Newcastle (A)
    Aston Villa (H)
    Blackburn (A)
    Fulham (H)
    West Brom (H)
    Norwich (A)

I know its Liverpool. I know its 6 goal Suarez. I'm still keeping the faith :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My question to Suarez owners is this...now that this gw is up, will you keep him or sell him. In my eyes he has probably done *just* enough to plant a seed of doubt in heads. It's the exact situation that make me not get him in. I didn't want to have any indecision regarding him in gw29.

Enrique was a much better bet than Suarez this week imho...did you have any Liverpool cover at all?

I got him in for this GW as I just felt he had to do something over the course of the 2 games, and did factor in Stevie G's return too in making a possible impact. The two on the same pitch more often could be a thing of great beauty! :p

I'm faced with many options this GW for who to get rid of, but after last nights performance, Suarez will certainly be held for another while. I'm looking closer to Silva, Sess or Ba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Replace Silva with Gerrard!

What ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Shane732 wrote: »
    Stupid f*cking Suarez and Enrique.....

Wan*ers.

I'm top of my money league for the first time today but stupid Suarez and Enrique means I'm going to be like 15 points behind again....

Arrghgh infuriating game.

He's straight out :D

(Got the Pog in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BP are late today for whatever reason

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Go away carl! That is all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

No Liverpool cover for me (BAE ahead of Enrique, I might reconsider that for the end of the season, haven't yet checked their list of fixtures though).

My plan last week was getting in Rooney. To do so I needed a 4 pts hit (Sess -> McClean). No other transfers on my radar (even for next week). So I decided instead to gamble on Suarez, hoping Rooney could be tired after EL game and Suarez delivering the odd DGW performance. It half worked. I lost 2 pts on Rooney (Suarez cpt and Rooney would have been had I kept my first idea) + the 4 pts hit. 6 pts lost in the process... Ah well... If you never take calculated risk when you're chasing you can never catch.

Anyway Suarez was a one shot. So I took a risk and brought Rooney directly in Saturday night before his price increased (i.e. before he played vs WBA). Hopefully no one will get injured in my team and this gamble won't burn me (in the worse case scenario I still have my WC ;)).

roryc wrote: »
    However to say he was completely out of form coming into the double GW is very harsh. He scored against United and was massively unlucky to not get more than 2 points against Arsenal, he had a cracking game! Should have gotten an assist but Kuyt missed the penalty, then he hit the post, then had a shot saved after a cracking run through about 4 players. He's on form, just not getting rewarded for it until last night... I'm holding on to Suarez, I even said it before the match last night.

That descriptiuon of the Arsenal game could be applied to nearly every one of his games this season. "Hit the bar. Should have gotten that assist. Hit the post. Only a brilliant save kept him out." Sure didn't he hit the woodwork 3 time sin one half earlier in the season. For fantasy football purposes, you could replace that description with "did nothing for 90 minutes". Both performances get you 2 points. It was the same old Suarez for the most part last night and against Sunderland, but luckily for him Stevie G was absolutely clinical.

I do agree however that, after looking at it last night, now Gerrard is back fit, we could see something different. However, before tonight a Gerrard/Suarez combination showed no signs of being a good thing.

I'm just happy that my doubling up of Pool defenders worked.

• Advertisement

BP are in. 2 for Suarez. 3 I presume for Gerard. None for Enrique

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

3 Gerrard
    2 Suarez
    1 Kelly

my Suarez captain gamble paid off, he outscored VP with ease :)

Bonus are out, none for Skrtel and Enrique. For the third time I took a calculated major poing hit and it worked again.

OUT (either transferred out or would have played had I not made transfers)
    Aguero - 1
    Huth - 2
    Santon - 1
    Kelly - 2
    Total - 6 points

IN
    Rooney - 13
    Skrtel - 7
    Enrique - 7
    Evans - 6
    Ponts Hits - -8 points.
    Total - 25 points

Net points = 19.

I also now have alot of players with very strong fixtures. My only problem now is I have no idea who to bench...but that's for another day (or the gw29 thread :) )

To the idiot who was saying Kelly was a bad buy - 11 points this gameweek and 8 against Spurs says otherwise. Not a bad return for 5.2m, all depends on whether he will keep his place for a nother few matches though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gambled on a player I personally despise & don't rate in FF terms : 6 goals in 23 games is a poor return for a "star player". Wellbeck has the same for less money.It worked out this week due to 2 assists last night but it's not enough when compared to Rooney or RVP who know where the goal is.

He's gone from my team as Liverpool are just game raisers and then revert to type against the run of the mill teams.No Liverpool player is dependable for getting a decent points return week in,week out.

My only regret was the mistake I made by putting Senderos as my 2nd sub instead of Caulker:o Still,76 points wasn't a bad return.

zerks wrote: »
    Gambled on a player I personally despise & don't rate in FF terms : 6 goals in 23 games is a poor return for a "star player". Wellbeck has the same for less money.It worked out this week due to 2 assists last night but it's not enough when compared to Rooney or RVP who know where the goal is.

He's gone from my team as Liverpool are just game raisers and then revert to type against the run of the mill teams.No Liverpool player is dependable for getting a decent points return week in,week out.

Agree re Suarez and their general attacking. But their defense is one of the more trustworthy out there. I currently have Enrique and Skrtel and have no immediate plans to change that. QPR (a), Wigan (h), Newcastle (a), Villa (h), Blackburn (a), Fulham (h) and WBA (h) in their next 7 is pretty strong, ad I could see 4 clean sheets there. At a push, I'll get rid of Enrique but I'll have Skrtel and Evans for the rest of the season.

To the idiot who was saying Kelly was a bad buy - 11 points this gameweek and 8 against Spurs says otherwise. Not a bad return for 5.2m, all depends on whether he will keep his place for a nother few matches though.

Ah come on how man, no need for that. He wasn't a guarantee to start both games. Before last night, he had no attacking points in over 650 minutes of football.

There is no need to be slating peoples opinion in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

69 for the GW which isn't bad considering I had a lot of underperformers:

Simpson 1
    Silva 2
    Pilkington 1
    Dempsey 2
    McClean 2
    Ba 2

He wasn't a guarantee to start both games. Before last night, he had no attacking points in over 650 minutes of football.

There is no need to be slating peoples opinion in hindsight.

It's a cumulative slating if you will! I was slated for even contemplating buying him (albeit from the forum clown), yet now Agger and Johnson are injured and he plays both games in the double GW and gets an assist + BP. More a point to others not to listen to the mouthy posters all too often!

If Kelly keeps getting gametime he could be a decent buy, Liverpool have a great run of fixtures and have been solid at the back. Agger and Johnson will probably be back soon though so probably not worth the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Have to disagree. Over the course of the season, Suarez has been shocking, no question. Anyone that brought him in before now has probably regretted it, especially with the wide variety of better options for cheaper.

I'm confused by this. On one hand, Suarez played great against Arsenal, yet got nothing... then wasn't so great against United, but scored... and you've managed to put a positive spin on both, suggesting he was in "positive form".

The whole point with Suarez is that he almost always plays well. The game against Arsenal was no boost in form, or anything out of the blue. Nor was last night. He must have at least a dozen games under his belt where he dominated the play just as well, and got almost nothing out of it in FF terms. That's what he has done all season.

The game last night was no predictable result one could have seen coming, it was just the inevitable decent FF game that the laws of averages are bound to give him.

Which, more importantly, nobody would have benefited from if it wasn't for the DGW.

And same with Kelly; someone was an idiot for saying he was a bad buy? Well thank you, Captain Hindsight. Any tips on the next defender who's going to score 12 points in a game after only scoring points in 3 games previous all season? Would be nice if you could do it before it happens though, y'know... so we can stop looking like idiots.

• Advertisement

That descriptiuon of the Arsenal game could be applied to nearly every one of his games this season. "Hit the bar. Should have gotten that assist. Hit the post. Only a brilliant save kept him out." Sure didn't he hit the woodwork 3 time sin one half earlier in the season. For fantasy football purposes, you could replace that description with "did nothing for 90 minutes". Both performances get you 2 points. It was the same old Suarez for the most part last night and against Sunderland, but luckily for him Stevie G was absolutely clinical. I do agree however that, after looking at it last night, now Gerrard is back fit, we could see something different. However, before tonight a Gerrard/Suarez combination showed no signs of being a good thing.

True, but I think he played a lot better against Arsenal than he has earlier in the year, coupled with the great link up play last night with Gerrard. To be honest I hope a lot of people do dump him, I'd be happy enough with Suarez as a differential for the final run in. If he starts looking like his old self I've 9m+ to transfer in Pog/Ballotelli etc.

carlcon wrote: »
    The game last night was no predictable result one could have seen coming.

I think it was much, much more predictable than Swansea keeping a clean sheet against City. A lot more likely Suarez performing over the double GW than Swansea holding the leaders at bay. I consider anyone that had a Swansea defender subbed in (two in your case) to be a LOT more fortunate than those who took a gamble and brought in Suarez. I got rid of Ba to do so.

Pointless arguing the Suarez debate anyway, I'd have agreed with you up until now but only time will tell if he has turned a corner or not. But so far the people who gambled on him, especially as captain, have been justly rewarded.
    And same with Kelly; someone was an idiot for saying he was a bad buy? Well thank you, Captain Hindsight. Any tips on the next defender who's going to score 12 points in a game after only scoring points in 3 games previous all season? Would be nice if you could do it before it happens though, y'know... so we can stop looking like idiots.

Captain Hindsight? I was lambasted for even mentioning him a few weeks ago and now that he performs I'm Captain Hindsight! It would be the equivalent of me telling you to pipe down when you were recommending buying Ba. Granted they are different in that Ba had more of a history, but recommending buying Kelly was not bad advice. You say Kelly had points in 3 games all season... thats 3 clean sheets + 1BP from 6 games, not bad at all for a defender. And the whole reason I was advocating buying him was that he was a cheap defender from a 'top' club, similar to Evans.

I think it was much, much more predictable than Swansea keeping a clean sheet against City. A lot more likely Suarez performing over the double GW than Swansea holding the leaders at bay. I consider anyone that had a Swansea defender subbed in (two in your case) to be a LOT more fortunate than those who took a gamble and brought in Suarez. I got rid of Ba to do so.

When you see me posting about how right I was to play Swansea defenders and predict 15 points from them, get back to me.

Although now that you bring it up, I had Sorensen and Smalling on the field, two players we all knew weren't playing. I knew very well those two would come on, not that it's relevant.
    Captain Hindsight? I was lambasted for even mentioning him a few weeks ago and now that he performs I'm Captain Hindsight! It would be the equivalent of me telling you to pipe down when you were recommending buying Ba. Granted they are different in that Ba had more of a history, but recommending buying Kelly was not bad advice. You say Kelly had points in 3 games all season... thats 3 clean sheets + 1BP from 6 games, not bad at all for a defender. And the whole reason I was advocating buying him was that he was a cheap defender from a 'top' club, similar to Evans.

Completely different situations. I said Ba would be a good buy, put him in my team before almost all Boards members, then he went on to be the 2nd best striker in the league for a period, only behind RVP.

Then, when Ba performed in 2 games, I didn't start sentences with "the idiot who said Ba was a bad idea".

You've managed to do that to someone simply because you "mentioned" Kelly.

Plus your usage of stats is mind-boggling. Using "only played 6 games" like it's a positive, or as if his presence in the team earned the clean sheets. 3 clean sheets in 6 games is a nice stat if it was the last 6 games in a row. Not 6 games spread over the space of a season. 3 clean sheets in 6 games (out of 28) is terrible.

Not to mention that the actual stat is 4 clean sheets and 1 BP in 9 games played and 19 games not played - or 3 CS in 8 games if we're talking before last night.

Whichever stat we're using, suggesting Kelly was a bad buy does not make someone an idiot.

I'm not claiming to know when you made the prediction and got told it was a bad idea... but it either happened before he scored the 8 points, in which case you're claiming to predict a player who went 15 games without playing would score an 8 and a 12 (or at least a good score) - which is obviously going to be questioned by other people... or you said it after the 8, were wrong for the next 3 games, then got a lucky break in the 4th. Neither way really puts anyone in a position to be ridiculing others for saying Kelly wouldn't be worth it.

Plus your usage of stats is mind-boggling. Using "only played 6 games" like it's a positive, or as if his presence in the team earned the clean sheets. 3 clean sheets in 6 games is a nice stat if it was the last 6 games in a row. Not 6 games spread over the space of a season. 3 clean sheets in 6 games (out of 28) is terrible.

Not getting into another argument but please, please do not ever... EVER question someone elses use of stats, unless you still believe you were the leader of an army of '100's of people' campaigning for this new forum. Your quote of stats on numerous accasions throughout that whole debacle was nothing short of ridiculous, and was pointed out by not only me but also the soccer mods, who I know are good pals of yours!

Not to mention that the actual stat is 4 clean sheets and 1 BP in 9 games played and 19 games not played - or 3 CS in 8 games if we're talking before last night.

Forget the 19 games not played, no one ever said he was a regular starter. This is an absolutely irrelevant fact. The point was that if he started from that point onwards he was good value for his price. And iirc it was prior to the Spurs game that I advocated buying him, my thinking being that if he played he had a decent chance of keeping a clean sheet, which was proven correct. I'm not quoting bullsh*t stats here, go check yourself.
    Whichever stat we're using, suggesting Kelly was a bad buy does not make someone an idiot.

No, but slating others for recommending him does. Had Ba flopped and people slated you for it I doubt you would have kept quiet. This is a minor issue and Kelly could easily be dropped but like I said already, there's one poster on here who has a chip on his shoulder and has tried to slate me any chance he gets, so it's nice when he's proven wrong... which lucky for me is quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Agree re Suarez and their general attacking. But their defense is one of the more trustworthy out there. I currently have Enrique and Skrtel and have no immediate plans to change that. QPR (a), Wigan (h), Newcastle (a), Villa (h), Blackburn (a), Fulham (h) and WBA (h) in their next 7 is pretty strong, ad I could see 4 clean sheets there. At a push, I'll get rid of Enrique but I'll have Skrtel and Evans for the rest of the season.

I have Enrique,he's been in my squad ages so made me a nice few quid if I choose to sell him.Looking at their fixtures you'd assume Liverpool would do well but the problem is when they meet teams such as QPR,WBA etc. they are rubbish,up until last nights result Liverpool players combined had the same league goals tally as RVP (discounting the 4 og's)
    They also tend to concede against these teams so the sure fire clean sheets can't be depended on.They don't concede many but all it takes is one goal against to turn a potential 6 points into 2.

The DGW swayed a lot of people,me included.It was a gamble which payed off but now Suarez is out and a more reliable point getter is in.
    To think,I nearly got Drenthe in.:eek: Once bitten twice shy there.

Not getting into another argument but please, please do not ever... EVER question someone elses use of stats, unless you still believe you were the leader of an army of '100's of people' campaigning for this new forum. Your quote of stats on numerous accasions throughout that whole debacle was nothing short of ridiculous, and was pointed out by not only me but also the soccer mods, who I know are good pals of yours!

So ignoring the point then? Fair play, I'll accept your concession.

It's funny, the other day you were happy to remind Lemlin that you had a higher score than him as if that gave you the higher ground over him... and now that you come up against someone doing better than you, my relationship with the soccer mods suddenly becomes relevant.

And should you decide to keep beating a dead horse and still want me to link you once again to the 90-130 people who gave support to getting a new forum, I'll happily PM it to you.

Forget the 19 games not played, no one ever said he was a regular starter. This is an absolutely irrelevant fact. The point was that if he started from that point onwards he was good value for his price. And iirc it was prior to the Spurs game that I advocated buying him, my thinking being that if he played he had a decent chance of keeping a clean sheet, which was proven correct. I'm not quoting bullsh*t stats here, go check yourself.

You said you predicted it before the spurs game. Before the Spurs game, he had gone 15 games without playing. Of course it's a relevant fact that he hadn't played. At the time, you were saying "this guy who hasn't played in 15 games is one to watch" - then someone disagreed - rightly so. Only hindsight makes him wrong. As always, you're just looking to "one-up" someone with one of many wild guesses that you never even brought in yourself, and just happened to get right this time, calling him an idiot in the process.

And I'm not letting you troll me like you trolled Lemlin the other day. I get it... you want the final word; take it.

And I'm not letting you troll me like you trolled Lemlin the other day. I get it... you want the final word; take it.

I didn't ignore the point. I answered you? And go ahead and link me to the thread, like I and others said when it came down to it there wasn't hundreds looking for a new forum. Sure a lot of people +1'd the idea of a new forum but when it came down to it there was little support, go look back on the thread and discount the posts from you and manual_man. There was little support other than you two. Not saying it was a bad idea, the forums coming along nicely, but you painted the picture that you were leading 100's. The soccer mods said you were exagerrating when you kept saying this. I wouldn't be as nice, you were spouting aboslute bullsh*t stats.

I couldn't give a f*ck about having the last word, I didn't even answer Lemlins last post? If you want to debate the merits of a transfer go ahead. To be honest I'd like to hear more about these 'wild guesses' I've had that I never brought in. Of course you can put this down to me wanting the last word, or you can post some constuctive discussion on FF players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Got lucky with Suarez as captain for the week..saved me from a disaster!

I wouldn't say it was lucky, even if I didn't have him myself! Same as when people had the foresight to bring Adebayor in after he'd gone 5 or 6 games without scoring. We know Suarez has the ability, its just about getting him at the right time, and as with any player theres a bit of luck involved with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

zerks wrote: »

My only regret was the mistake I made by putting Senderos as my 2nd sub instead of Caulker:o Still,76 points wasn't a bad return.

Absolutely spot on with that assessment.

I really couldn't decide whether to get Suarez in for the DGW or get Rooney in but after that game last night I'm happy enough that I did the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

The Liverpool performance was decent. However the Everton side Moyes picked I thought was beyond a joke. Just as he was winning me over too. Can't put much faith in Liverpool until they get a result against someone's first team.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    The Liverpool performance was decent. However the Everton side Moyes picked I thought was beyond a joke. Just as he was winning me over too. Can't put much faith in Liverpool until they get a result against someone's first team.

Moyes has an Anfield mental block. Never won there. Doesn't send a good message to his players though. And just as they were on a roll

From what I got from his line-up, Moyes basically said "stick your 7th place, we're going for the FA Cup".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It's a cumulative slating if you will! I was slated for even contemplating buying him (albeit from the forum clown), yet now Agger and Johnson are injured and he plays both games in the double GW and gets an assist + BP. More a point to others not to listen to the mouthy posters all too often!

If Kelly keeps getting gametime he could be a decent buy, Liverpool have a great run of fixtures and have been solid at the back. Agger and Johnson will probably be back soon though so probably not worth the transfer.

Where did I say he was a bad buy? Please link to same. I slated you for not knowing Agger is a central defender and Kelly's a right back. Johnson effects Kelly's playing time, not Agger. I never commented on Kelly being a bad buy.

And you claim you aren't pretentious? Get your facts straight before you throw accusations around.

As above, link to where I said he was a bad buy. I questioned your knowledge of where he plays, I never stated if he was a bad buy or not.

I couldn't give a f*ck about having the last word, I didn't even answer Lemlins last post? If you want to debate the merits of a transfer go ahead. To be honest I'd like to hear more about these 'wild guesses' I've had that I never brought in. Of course you can put this down to me wanting the last word, or you can post some constuctive discussion on FF players.

No, you didn't answer it but you came on mouthing bull**** I supposedly said later on.

• Advertisement

No, but slating others for recommending him does. Had Ba flopped and people slated you for it I doubt you would have kept quiet. This is a minor issue and Kelly could easily be dropped but like I said already, there's one poster on here who has a chip on his shoulder and has tried to slate me any chance he gets, so it's nice when he's proven wrong... which lucky for me is quite often.

You've used your last three or four posts to have a direct go at me yet I'm the one with a chip on my shoulder?

Some links to where I've been "proven wrong.. quite often" please.

I'm sick of this pretentious crap you're spouting.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Calling people idiots and clowns... over FF??? :o

Will have a read through this thread in proper during lunchtime. But as of now, the thread as run it's course. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement