Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

warranty on a refurbised iphone 4?

• 10-03-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My wife had an iphone 4 replaced by apple thru vodaphone in November, with a refurbished iphone 4 ,which i paid €180, its now also gone faulty, not receiving calls and freezing, you can ring out but when someone rings, they hear a ringing tone but the iphone does nothing, problem was there for perhaps a week or two and apple said it is hardware related, the vodaphone shop rep told my wife that apple won't repair it without charge to us,as a refurbished iphone 4 only has a three month warranty, and this is four months later,is this a load of poo?
    would I have a case for the small claims court, if talks go nowhere, thanks for reading, comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Best going direct to Apple support. I think refurbs have the same warranty as a new device i.e. 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I presume you tried a software restore first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Yes tried clearing network settings general restore,vodaphone shop saying only a three month warranty on this refurbished iphone 4, anyone know how to go about contacting apple directly ,
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

any refurb from apple only comes with a 90 day warranty

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

guil wrote: »
    any refurb from apple only comes with a 90 day warranty

Yet buying from the refurb store is 1 year? I'd take a run at Apple OP, €180 for a phone to last 4 months is unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

When was the original phone bought?
    Doesnt your original apple care 1-year warranty get transfered to the refurb aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

barryd09 wrote: »
    When was the original phone bought?
    Doesnt your original apple care 1-year warranty get transfered to the refurb aswell?

Well he has paid for it so I'm assuming the original warranty had expired.

original iphone 4 was 21 days outside 365 day warranty,replaced last November for €180, now more money to replace/repair faulty phone again, pissed off at this stage, I goona a stick to my guns this time, battle all the way

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

chris1970 wrote: »
    original iphone 4 was 21 days outside 365 day warranty,replaced last November for €180, now more money to replace/repair faulty phone again, pissed off at this stage, I goona a stick to my guns this time, battle all the way

You should look at taking them to the Small claims Court over the original phone. I don't think any judge would find it reasonable that a €600 phone would pack up less than 13 months down the road. I don't know if you will have affected it by taking the refurb, but I'd ring the Consumer Association to see how you stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Ring apple support, see what they can do. Failing that, if you are near the border, it might be worth a trip up North to the Belfast store, make an appointment with the Genius Bar, they have a lot of leeway on these charges. In a very similar situation, I have had a non-warranty fee waived in the past, admittedly on my iPad, but still. My advice would be to be as nice, friendly and co-operative as possible, especially in-store. If you come across confrontational and abusive you will almost certainly not get very far "rulz is rulz, innit?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only Apple support can really say for sure.

well i rang apple today, after getting passed through the ranks, 45 +min later, they wont replace the faulty iphone, cause its 28 days outside the warranty of the refurbished iphone, which cost me 180, and the orginal warranty carrys over, eg 365+90, ?? they offered to give me a replacement for....161€, with you guess it 3 further months warranty, told them i was thinking of small claims courts case, thats when they came back ,nice enough to deal with, got no where , even though the chap admitted it was unexceptable that a little used 'new' iphone should be thrown away after 4 month.
    all i want is the phone fixed, but apple dont repair, i was told, more bull me thinks, dwayne over on vodafone biz is looking into it, bad form for an apple product, anyone any idea how to get this resolved, thanks for the input

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You bought the original phone from Vodafone, yes? Then it's them you should be harassing and threatening with the small claims court. They'll try and fob you off by telling you it's Apple's problem, but it's not. Under the law, it's the seller not the manufacture who is on the hook to the consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

When you buy a refurb from apple the warranty is 12 months but seeing as you only paid €180 for it they might not have given you the full warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

darokane wrote: »
    When you buy a refurb from apple the warranty is 12 months but seeing as you only paid €180 for it they might not have given you the full warranty.

That's not the case here. The OP got a replacement phone (which was a refurb) for the broken iPhone, which was out of warranty - therefore, the €180 cost.

If you buy a refurb'd product from the Apple store online, they give you 12 months warranty with the option of extending.

Here, Apple are giving a replacement phone which takes on whatever warranty the broken product had left, or 90 days from replacement, whichever is longer.

If they gave 12 months on every replacement sent out, some people might end up with an unlimited supply of phones under said warranty, which keeps renewing.

I agree, though, lasting only 4 months is terrible for a replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Guys, please don't get hung up on the warranty offered by a manufacturer or retailer. Any such warranty is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer - it does not replace them.

As a consumer, when you buy goods they must meet the three criteria laid down in consumer law. They must be :
    • as described
    • fit for purpose
    • of merchantable quality.
    If the original phone only lasted 13 months, the retailer owes you a free repair or a free phone if the repair fails. Your contract has always been with the retailer you bought from not the manufacturer.

More info here : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

The second phone failed the three criteria too so depending on who sold it to you they also owe you a repair or a replecement for that one.

A pricey piece of tech that only lasts 13 months or 4 months (refurbed or new is irrelevant ) is a rip-off - sue them as a consumer.

Download the small claims court, I will fill it out later, €18 euro fee, worth a shot, nothing to loose, let ye know what happens, thanks for the input, I think since I brought it from vodafone , I shall name them on form, any further advice?

chris1970 wrote: »
    Download the small claims court, I will fill it out later, €18 euro fee, worth a shot, nothing to loose, let ye know what happens, thanks for the input, I think since I brought it from vodafone , I shall name them on form, any further advice?

Read up on the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, and understand your own case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The Sale of Goods Act 1893 is also important - best to just read the CitizensInformation website or the National Consumer Agency one, rather than having to parse legislation :pac:

Advertisement