Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lough dodgy at night?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just moved to Cork and was trying to figure out some walking routes in the city. I live in the city centre and figured that the Lough would be ideal as it's about a 2km walk there then I could lap the lake two or three times, then back home. But one of my colleagues said it is dodgy at night and said she wouldn't even go there at twilight. Is this true? If so, can anyone suggest some other walking routes in the city centre to me? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Your buddy is being melodramatic. The Lough is one of the most popular walking spots in Cork. But like anywhere else, its not exactly clever to go walking there on your own at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

gimmick wrote: »
    Your buddy is being melodramatic. The Lough is one of the most popular walking spots in Cork. But like anywhere else, its not exactly clever to go walking there on your own at night.

OK, so what time at the latest? I figured she was being a bit melodramatic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

You can walk at the lough at anytime YOU feel comfortable, it is certainly not a "no go" area at all, and is a very popular place for both young and old, of course walking anywhere after dark can be unwise, and the lough is no exception.

THere are usually people walking and jogging around it up to midnight even in winter. Loads and loads up to 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

RoverJames wrote: »
    THere are usually people walking and jogging around it up to midnight even in winter. Loads and loads up to 10pm.

Cool, I'd probably be down there between 7pm and 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

I lived right by the Lough for just over a year. Anytime before 10pm/11pm is fine, particularly in the summer months when it's still bright late.

I was never bothered there at any time (used to work late nights too) but on the weekends there can be groups of younger people hanging about drinking. They're easy enough to spot and dodge around if they look like any hassle as it's a big, wide open space. As with anywhere in the city past a certain time, it's best to keep your wits about you.

Lots of joggers/walkers there in the evening time anyway so you'll have some solidarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I'm often there between 11pm-3am. I've never yet been raped and murdered and fed to the swans.

its no more dangerous than any other part of as city at night; and its got tons of bats! so batman is presumably living closeby keeping an eye on the area

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Well I was walking my dog around there the other night and it was very quiet, just a jogger and another dog walker there. It was around 9pm.

However my friend lives on the lough and there are the odd few fights that happen at night. Young ones go drinking up by the playground and they sometimes shout at her when she's walking her dogs, but they are harmless really. It's grand on a weekday anyway, just Friday and Saturday nights could be kind of dodgey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

mawk wrote: »
    I'm often there between 11pm-3am. I've never yet been raped and murdered and fed to the swans.

Ah, sure that's only because you're not allowed feed the swans anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've often gone for a walk up there in the summer, round 8 or 9 in the summer. Haven't had any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I would walk around the Lough at anytime. Apart from teenagers drinking cans who generally keep to themselves, its normally full of people just doing a few laps walking or running. Used to walk it a 10 every night last year and it was fine.
    No place in the world is 100% safe but walking around Lough I would consider safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Buceph wrote: »
    Ah, sure that's only because you're not allowed feed the swans anymore.

that only makes sense if I'm some sort of human/bread hybrid. you can still feed the birds. just not bread.

they like lettuce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

mawk wrote: »
    that only makes sense if I'm some sort of human/bread hybrid. you can still feed the birds. just not bread.

they like lettuce

Heh! I didn't realise that. I thought it was any feeding of them that was banned. Good to know should I ever have toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Buceph wrote: »
    Heh! I didn't realise that. I thought it was any feeding of them that was banned. Good to know should I ever have toddlers.

No - you're not allowed feed them toddlers either!

Advertisement