Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fancy restaurant in Dublin

Options
  • 10-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Im looking for suggestions for a nice fancy restaurant in Dublin to bring my girlfriend. Im planning on popping the question and i have something up my sleve and it requires bringing her somewhere very nice first. I've researched online and there is some great reviews but id rather hear suggestions first hand front people who have been.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

What kind of food do you both like, what kind of area were you thinking, how much do you want to spend? So were you thinking Michelin Star or bistro food or something different altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Food wise it doesn't matter we eat all kinds. Im living in north Dublin so north Dublin or city center, some places on the southside might be a bit too far. The price isn't really a factor. I want her to be expecting a proposal when we go there but Im actually not gonna ask in the restaurant so the place should be fancy enough so she's expecting it. I hope that answers your question. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are you thinking really upmarket like Thorntons or L'ecrivan?

My recommendation is, how about The Trocadero?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

i like Il Segreto on Merrion Row - not too pricey, you'd get an early bird, but if you tell them the occasion they'll look after you really well

congrat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've never been here myself but how about Bon Appetit in Malahide?

I'd say for an occasion like that, you'd wan't something special. Maybe you could try Chapter One on Parnell square or maybe Bon Appetit in Malahide. They're both absolutely fantastic and offer the perfect setting for such a special occasion.

edit: +1 for Trocadero on Andrew Street as well, absolutely brilliant restaurant and not overly formal

mmcn90 wrote: »
    edit: +1 for Trocadero on Andrew Street as well, absolutely brilliant restaurant and not overly formal

Yes, warm, opulent and romantic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

I'd say for an occasion like that, you'd wan't something special. Maybe you could try Chapter One on Parnell square or maybe Bon Appetit in Malahide. They're both absolutely fantastic and offer the perfect setting for such a special occasion.

Careful if you choose Chapter One for the occasion- I've only been there twice, once in big group which was lovely, but once with Mrs U and we were seated too close to the other tables. Spent a really awkward evening trying not to listen to the couple beside us arguing:(
    Grub was top notch though!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Took the wife here only last Wednesday for a special occasion and couldn't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Chapter One

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hi guys,

Im looking for suggestions for a nice fancy restaurant in Dublin to bring my girlfriend. Im planning on popping the question and i have something up my sleve and it requires bringing her somewhere very nice first. I've researched online and there is some great reviews but id rather hear suggestions first hand front people who have been.

Thanks

Giggity

Chapter One

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Pearl is consistently one of the best restaurants in Dublin. Close second mention to the Pigs Ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I've never been here myself but how about Bon Appetit in Malahide?

I haven't been to Bon Appetit myself, but regarding Malahide I'd recommend Cruzzo.

Its elegant inside, and I've always enjoyed the food. I love it there in the summer because we take our glasses of wine out on the deck over looking the estuary and watch the sun go down :)

Of course you can't do that in March, but if you book a table ask for a window seat over looking the estuary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Chapter One was my first reaction seeing the title and then again when you wrote north side or city center.

Only been there once but had a fantastic experience.

Only been to trocodero once but did not have a good experience there.

As with most going out experiences, it'll depend on the waiter you get on the night I guess.

Fingers crossed though and best of luck with the occasion!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Patrick Guilbaud, best dining in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

+1 for the Troc, great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

Hi guys,

Im looking for suggestions for a nice fancy restaurant in Dublin to bring my girlfriend. Im planning on popping the question

Try Trocaderos on south andrew street, a great restaurant full of celebs and very reasonably priced. Check them out at http://www.trocadero.ie/
    Best of luck mate... Best thing I ever did and 4 kids later still madly in love with my wife :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Push the boat

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menus

I see I was beaten to it by Mr Magnolia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Abi wrote: »
    I haven't been to Bon Appetit myself, but regarding Malahide I'd recommend Cruzzo.
    Cruzzos has been closed since the new year.

Chapter One was my first thought.
    One Pico is well worth a look too.
    Conrrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Cheers for all the feedback guys, some good suggestions there. I think its a toss up between chapter one, bon appetite and trocadero. From what it sounds these are all great restaurants. TBH i actually wanna try all of the ones mentioned, it would seem im not eating in the right places Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Nesie

Dax (restaurant not the cafe bar) is another good one. Just off leeson st. i've been 3 or 4 times (never had to pay) and it is amazing. nice atmosphere. the waiters are nice/helpful (they know lots and lot and lots about wine) and pour water/wine almost without being seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Hi

I think it is important first to decide the type of food and price you want.

When you say money is no option, "expensive" can vary from 150 euro to 350 euro for a meal for 2.

In terms of food, if you have to ask the question, I am assuming you perhaps haven't been to the likes of Chapter One or similar and sometimes it can be a little dissappointing. The food can be a little too nouveau for some.

Also, in terms of budgeting, unless you really have no upper limit for the night, sometimes when you visit a place like Chapter One, you end up looking at the price of the wine and the extras and it can be a little disconcerting.

I have a suggestion in the city centre which sounds like it would tick all the boxes. Les Freres Jacques on Dame Street. It is a French restaurant. The staff like many of the good restaurants mentioned are all career waiting staff and highly professional (and most are French). It is an intimate setting. Also, my brother who brings corporate clients out a lot brought a bunch of French business people there who said it was excellent. Price wise for 200-250 you will have the full works 4 courses and decent wine, apertif and port etc so I would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Our favourite is Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Its elegant inside, and I've always enjoyed the food. I love it there in the summer because we take our glasses of wine out on the deck over looking the estuary and watch the sun go down :)

Of course you can't do that in March, but if you book a table ask for a window seat over looking the estuary :)

I believe Cruzzo has closed down?

Mrs Fox wrote: »

I believe Cruzzo has closed down?

Yes, unfortunately Cruzzo has closed down, a lovely restaurant, shame to see it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

Nesie wrote: »
    Dax (restaurant not the cafe bar) is another good one. Just off leeson st. i've been 3 or 4 times (never had to pay) and it is amazing. nice atmosphere. the waiters are nice/helpful (they know lots and lot and lots about wine) and pour water/wine almost without being seen.

+1.. totally agree with that, great spot!

PoleStar wrote: »
    Hi

I think it is important first to decide the type of food and price you want.

When you say money is no option, "expensive" can vary from 150 euro to 350 euro for a meal for 2.

In terms of food, if you have to ask the question, I am assuming you perhaps haven't been to the likes of Chapter One or similar and sometimes it can be a little dissappointing. The food can be a little too nouveau for some.

Also, in terms of budgeting, unless you really have no upper limit for the night, sometimes when you visit a place like Chapter One, you end up looking at the price of the wine and the extras and it can be a little disconcerting.

I agree about the "noveau" food.
    Plus the price of the wine can be disconcerting, even just the size of the wine list can be disconcerting.

Also!
    Can I just say that while the staff in these restaurants are fabulous and so professional, if you have never eaten in them before (which you say you haven't) you may find it intimidating. Maybe.

So that is why my definitive recommendation for you is The Trocadero.
    Plus with it's warm red/wine velvet I think it's warm and romantic :o

Good luck with the proposal. Enjoy your night and congratulations! :)

(and maybe report back where you went and how you got on!)

Ps. Where ever you choose to go, check out their menu and wine list online before you go so you'll have an approximation of you bill cost.

Plus have a good perusal of the wine list online to identify a few wines you like, at the right price.

(ps. My second place recommendation for you after The Troc is l'ecrivain, followed by Thorntons, followed by the pearl brasserie).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yes, unfortunately Cruzzo has closed down, a lovely restaurant, shame to see it close.
    Just seeing this now.. It's been a wee while since I've been, I can't believe it. Another victim :(

Advertisement