Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into 5th Year

• 10-03-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

I'll be going into 5th Year soon and I learned quite a bit from the 3 years in the Junior Cert but I understand that the Leaving is a different ball game.

What I'm looking for is some advice on how to treat school from day 1 of 5th year, so that I can maximise my points for the Leaving Cert.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Start from day 1. You want all your 5th year work to be really solid by the time you get to 6th year.

Make really good notes and think outside the box. Put posters on the wall of your quotes, record yourself saying definitions on your ipod, make brainstorm and linear style notes. All these things were my saving grace this year.

If you feel a subject is going to be really hard by about October, swap. The things I'd do to be able to go back to last year and swap from Chemistry to History or Classics. Don't force yourself into an impossible subject if you can get away with it.

If a teacher is not up to scratch, take steps to improve the situation. If you are taking a really long time to cover sections and you don't think you'll have the course mostly finished by April of 6th year, do it yourself. I should have realized in 5th year we were way behind in maths and now this year we've had to put in so much work to catch up.

If you can go to a gaeltacht/work abroad this summer, do. I get 95s in my French oral and aural with no study thanks to working in France for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Get into the habit of studying everyday; don't go overboard in 5th year; organise a revision plan and stick to it over the summer; don't miss classes; organise your notes

The most important one I'd say is start learning to the standard of the Leaving Cert. For German/French prepare the best version/script possible, for History best essay etc... This will mean you have two years to learn the same things instead of changing in 6th year.

If you get me blad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Thanks guys :)

I definitely agree with what you're saying about the French and luckily I've already done that by living in Belgium for a year and I wouldn't feel like I'm fluent anymore, but certainly beyond Leaving Cert standard. Though, I do plan on an exchange.

Anymore advice from anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

head down from day one and always do your homework to a good standard. it helps in the long run trust me!

for english i would recommend reading everything you can get your hands on it really helps improve your standard of english and if your given essays to do put effort into them do research everything

try build a decent relationship with teachers always helps with stress and they respect you a little more and become very helpful

study for class tests no matter how small its really good in the long run !

make sure you catch up on anything you miss through matches being sick etc

languages are all about grammar and vocab build up a good bank from day one and you will do well !

if your doing geography buy sue honan geography skills it is a godsend of the highest quality !

thats about all i can think of right now any questions just pm me :) goodluck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'll be going into 5th Year soon and I learned quite a bit from the 3 years in the Junior Cert but I understand that the Leaving is a different ball game.

What I'm looking for is some advice on how to treat school from day 1 of 5th year, so that I can maximise my points for the Leaving Cert.

Thanks
    Going to be realistic here, you might go in on the 1st day thinking "I'm going to work everyday for two hours for the LC" but at the end of the day, you can't properly start preparing for the LC until this time in 5th year.

I found that even still by Christmas, I hadn't covered enough material in class to warrant revision. Just make sure that you do your homework, make sure you keep up with the class and don't fall behind and if there's anything you don't understand or struggle with this year, get it sorted so it doesn't become a problem when it comes to revising next year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

0mega wrote: »
    Going to be realistic here, you might go in on the 1st day thinking "I'm going to work everyday for two hours for the LC" but at the end of the day, you can't properly start preparing for the LC until this time in 5th year.

I found that even still by Christmas, I hadn't covered enough material in class to warrant revision. Just make sure that you do your homework, make sure you keep up with the class and don't fall behind and if there's anything you don't understand or struggle with this year, get it sorted so it doesn't become a problem when it comes to revising next year. :)

Aye, I know that exact attitude from 3rd year :D Started studying in February coming up to the exams, but I'm assuming that I won't get as good grades if I used that tactic for Leaving!

I'm doing Economics as an external subject for it, and I always feel the need to work at Maths until I'm 100% able to do everything so I say I will find time each day. I normally study every day for 2-3 hours, then I watch tv and go online. I do have a social life too though :p Which is important.

I never do any study on a Friday and on Saturday nights and I hope to keep that up :pac:

Advertisement