Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting good at French Reading Comps?

• 10-03-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I got my French mock back the other day and I did really well in everything except for the literary comprehension which brought down my mark a lot. I find it really hard to figure out whats going on in the texts, is there a way of improving on these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Honestly, just keep practising them. It's what I've been doing since the start of 6th year. Have a dictionary with you and look up and learn whatever words you didn't know, because it's surprising how much the vocabulary repeats itself in the some of the past comprehensions. And every comprehension has a grammar question so learn the terminology to be able to get your five or so marks for that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

In my mock it used a word I didnt understand in the question (it was
    reproche
    ) but if you look at the text and the context, you can sometimes get a better idea of what its asking but without even understanding it. Honestly a lot of it is irrelevant and you need to realize that so you dont panic! I'm not sure how exactly to improve, I think a wide vocabulary is needed and an indepth understanding of grammar so you know what tenses things are in.

One tip in particular: un type means 'a guy', not a type, people seem to forget that! I think it can mean type too, but its a slangy word for man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I got my French mock back the other day and I did really well in everything except for the literary comprehension which brought down my mark a lot. I find it really hard to figure out whats going on in the texts, is there a way of improving on these?

Was it the one about the dog? That was a ridiculously difficult comp. Questions were poorly chosen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

It's time consuming but make a list of vocabulary after every reading comprehension and read over them as often as possible. Pay particular attention to verbs. Google synonyms or ask you teacher for help with them. Same for link works and conjunctions. It's a question of improving your vocabulary so that you can make educated guesses where needed.

Advertisement