Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to Australia with an old visa?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance for your help.

In Jan 2011 I got a 4 years Australia temporary residence visa. I moved there in Feb 2011 and after 3 months, I decided to move back to Ireland due to a family reason. My visa is valid until Jan 2005.

I plan to visit Australia again in July this year and if all is going well I might like to stay longer than 6 months. In this case, could I still use the same visa to return to Australia or I have to apply for a new one?( in July 2012, It will be 1 year and 2 months since I have been out of Australia).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

An e-visa? If so you should have used the immi.gov website to check your visa progress. You'd have gotten a TRN number at some stage aswell.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/evo/start.do?actionType=firstPartyQuery

"query now" then agree and login with your details. It'll give you information on your visa.

Is it a multiple entry Visa? If it is then before you even do that I can tell you, you can enter back into Australia if it's still active.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP - you said your visa is valid until 2005?? is that right?

or do you mean 2015? If 2015 then yes, it's valid, as you have it for 4 years and you have activated it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

a 4-year temporary residence visa sounds very like a 457 employer sponsored visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have never heard of a 4 year Temp Visa , I know PR is valid for 4 years if you validate in the first year.....OP what visa number have you 457 , 175 , 176 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    a 4-year temporary residence visa sounds very like a 457 employer sponsored visa.
    The only 4 year temporary visa I know of is the 457.

In which case it is no longer valid as you have left the country for more than 28 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bodyandsoul

Hi all,

Thank you for all your reponse.

I have a Business Entry (Class UC) Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457) visa. Its an E-visa and multiple entry. My visa is valid until 2015 ( sorry for the mistyping in the previous post).

I have a TRN number and tried to check my visa status on the website which Irishmover gave to me but that website doesn't work today for some reason. I also tried to call the Australian Embassy in London but the answering machine tells you to check their website for more information:-) and cut off.

As Mellor said in my case I might lose this visa because I'm out of the country for more than 28 days which is a bit disappointed so I am dying to find out.

Just wondering if anyone know the different phone number to contact regarding this matter?

I have a Business Entry (Class UC) Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457) visa. Its an E-visa and multiple entry. My visa is valid until 2015 ( sorry for the mistyping in the previous post).

Yup, that's a 457. As we suspected. It's commonly known as sponsorship. and its only valid while you are employed my your nominated sponsor.
    Multiple entry refers to you can leave and return as long as you are constantly employed by the employer. Obviously, you haven't been. So i'm afraid its not valid any longer.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yup, that's a 457. As we suspected. It's commonly known as sponsorship. and its only valid while you are employed my your nominated sponsor.
    Multiple entry refers to you can leave and return as long as you are constantly employed by the employer. Obviously, you haven't been. So i'm afraid its not valid any longer.

Thanks Mellor.

I need to clarify my situation a bit more.

My ex boyfriend is a doctor and got a job at a hospital in Australia. Back then I was with him so I got a defacto visa. They paid for our visas, tickets, shipping and free house and car for 6 months. If we wanted to move back before the contract ends. We would have to pay part of all these expenses back to the sponsor. Travelling in Australia was awesome but living there is not my first choice, I missed my family and friends in Ireland badly so I decided to move back( still feel so guilty leaving my ex behind).
    So in my situation I am not employed by the nominated sponsor but my ex is and he is still working there now.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Then ask the ex has he cancelled you from the visa?
    Surely that's the most obvious solution.

Thanks Mellor.

I need to clarify my situation a bit more.

My ex boyfriend is a doctor and got a job at a hospital in Australia. Back then I was with him so I got a defacto visa. They paid for our visas, tickets, shipping and free house and car for 6 months. If we wanted to move back before the contract ends. We would have to pay part of all these expenses back to the sponsor. Travelling in Australia was awesome but living there is not my first choice, I missed my family and friends in Ireland badly so I decided to move back( still feel so guilty leaving my ex behind).
    So in my situation I am not employed by the nominated sponsor but my ex is and he is still working there now.
    Cheers.
    You prob should of mentioned the defacto part.
    You need to ask him if he removed you, if he has then its gone.

You can check your status online, if that gets the all clear than you might still be ok. however, its not a valid visa if you are no longer in a defacto realtionship.

It might still be possible to work around it. But it will prob raise flags if you enter after being away for so long and i'd being expecting immigration to pull you side to check the situation. So at least have a story sorted and be certain that the ex will confirm your story 100%. Also, land in the same city as he is in.

• Advertisement

My ex has made a phone call to this Australian number 1800040070 and they said my visa is still valid and he offers to be there at the airport when I arrive, just in case ...I'm quite pleased now.

Thanks for all your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well at least the temporary fix should hold for a while.

Advertisement