Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can it be finished fermenting?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Started this brew on the 18th of Feb .

Using Coopers Orginal Draught I added 1.5kg light malt extract instead of brewing sugar it was my first time using this mix.. It's been nearly 3 weeks and I'm still getting bubbles through the airlock. I've always waited till The bubbles have completely stopped before bottling. So over the course of 3 days I took two identical readings with a hydrometer. But it's the bubbles through the airlock that have me wondering.

So can I still get bubbles even if it's finished fermenting? I want to bottle into glass bottles so I need to be sure it's ready!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

What was the reading you are getting on the hydrometer? It is probably finished fermenting if its a constant reading in the 1016 to 1010 range. The bubbles in the airlock could be from c02 coming out of solution. But cannot be sure without hydrometer reading. I know my beers are usually finished fermenting when the airlock stops bubbling and water levels out but I always confirm with a hydrometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I think it's not finished just yet. But 3weeks is a long time. Never had a brew go over ten days. But then I never used a extract instead of sugar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Your hydrometer is a more reliable tracker of fermentation than your bubbler

unless you had it at a very low temperature or your wort has been infected by wild yeast then it is safe enough to assume that your beer has fermented out and the bubbles you are seeing is just c02 being released.

So if your gravity readings are consistent then you should be okay to bottle away.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Son0vagun wrote: »
    So can I still get bubbles even if it's finished fermenting? I want to bottle into glass bottles so I need to be sure it's ready!
    Yes, I've bottled a few of my brews while still bubbling. I always bottle after 2 or 3 weeks regardless of bubbles. If the gravity is steady(and in the right range) then fermentations finished as Willabur said

L

Advertisement