Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont they do small script tattoos ??

Options
  • 10-03-2012 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

They say its because over time they will just blurr or what ever though is it true ? would it really be that bad over time ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

As tattoo's age their lines can seep and spread, if the tattoo is very small and simple it could be very noticeable. I'm sure there are plenty of artists that will do it, but you have been warned, a few yeas done the line you could be left with something indecipherable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

As tattoo's age their lines can seep and spread, if the tattoo is very small and simple it could be very noticeable. I'm sure there are plenty og artists that will do it, but you have been warned, a few yeas done the lie you could be left with something indecipherable.

I actually took the artists advice and got the size he recommended , it was last year. I just always wondered because it is a bit bigger than i would of liked. I love it but I just had something smaller in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Ya this is true I know girls who have small script less than a couple of years and you can already see the difference and it looks like sh*t to be honest with you. Save yourself some bother and go for the recommended size if your happy with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

lil_tuts wrote: »
    They say its because over time they will just blurr or what ever though is it true ? would it really be that bad over time ?

Yes, skin gets thinner and sags... fine details won't hold over time & become a blurry mess.

Listen to 'them', 'they' speak the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 AmeliaO

Yeah! I went to get a tattoo on my side, going with the curve of my body and the size script I originally wanted they said was too small, so they stencilled on the size they said would look best, they were bang on! I love it now, you're better off going with the bigger size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pig140

Working up my first all text tattoo... so how small is too small? What's the minimum recommended size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

pig140 wrote: »
    Working up my first all text tattoo... so how small is too small? What's the minimum recommended size?

Best bet is to go to the artist and have a chat. They'll be able to decide as it'll depend on how long it is and the font you want to use. You don't want it too small that you can't read it though or it'll just end up a blurry mess in a few years.

Thanks. I keep reading "don't go smaller than a half inch" everywhere. The font I want is not crazy - it's pretty simple, clean, and not too bold. But the lowercase letters in my script don't come close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Thanks. I keep reading "don't go smaller than a half inch" everywhere. The font I want is not crazy - it's pretty simple, clean, and not too bold. But the lowercase letters in my script don't come close to that.

One of my first tattoos was a line of script from what i now know was a real cowboy "tattoo artist".

The script size was way to small and the letters were all joint in each word which led to all the letters bled into each other within the year.

Spent a right amount of cash to get it covered up and I only wish I had the same advice as youo are getting now.

You can only decide to take the advice that has been given to you or take the risk and be unhappy with your tattoo in the near future.

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm all about taking advice, I'm just asking for clarification....

The font size I it have printed out to is around 35 in a font called "El Franco". It prints out to about 0.5 to 0.6 cm for the lowercase and 0.9 to 1 cm for uppercase. Too small? I know people are doing smaller but I want it legible in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yes, it most definitely does blur if too small... as my other half has learned

What you're describing does sound a little on the risky side.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hey, I'm all about taking advice, I'm just asking for clarification....

The font size I it have printed out to is around 35 in a font called "El Franco". It prints out to about 0.5 to 0.6 cm for the lowercase and 0.9 to 1 cm for uppercase. Too small? I know people are doing smaller but I want it legible in 10 years.

Definitely sounds way too small. You'd probably be looking at a blurred mess in 10 years, where you can make out some of the letters fine, but others could be only interpreted with the eye of faith.

First, sorry to the OP for hijacking....:(, but I felt it was along the same lines.

I probly should've mentioned that the text I'm after is only about 15 words. I tried to print it on regular paper with 1/2 inch lowercase letters and 1 inch uppercase. I had to put the font at 74. It covered well over half of one sheet of paper, and could've been read from 40 feet away. This is truly the smallest size letters should be?

Chech these two out...

1. This is about the font size I was looking at but definitely thinner. I could see the boldness of this one causing a problem... but if it was thinner maybe?

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1e6ie3LUZ1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

2. This one is small, clean, and really thin.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1h7q7dwdE1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

These are both under 1/2 inch. Are they at risk of blurring beyond being read? Please understand I'm not arguing, I'm truly trying to get as much info as I can and understand fully the risks before getting my next tattoo. Thanks for any and all advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

First, sorry to the OP for hijacking....:(, but I felt it was along the same lines.

I probly should've mentioned that the text I'm after is only about 15 words. I tried to print it on regular paper with 1/2 inch lowercase letters and 1 inch uppercase. I had to put the font at 74. It covered well over half of one sheet of paper, and could've been read from 40 feet away. This is truly the smallest size letters should be?

Chech these two out...

1. This is about the font size I was looking at but definitely thinner. I could see the boldness of this one causing a problem... but if it was thinner maybe?

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1e6ie3LUZ1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

2. This one is small, clean, and really thin.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1h7q7dwdE1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

These are both under 1/2 inch. Are they at risk of blurring beyond being read? Please understand I'm not arguing, I'm truly trying to get as much info as I can and understand fully the risks before getting my next tattoo. Thanks for any and all advice.

You're talking half an inch, the OP was talking half a centimetre...
    1cm = .39 inches, 1 inch = 2.54cm.

From the pictures you posted, the first one, already you can see the enclosed parts of the 'e's and 'a's in particular are hard to make out clearly.
    The second one obviously doesn't have this problem as it's quite a thin looking font.
    They both look around the same size. You can see on the second one too that if they went any smaller, the 'e's and 'a's would have caused problems too.

Sorry about the confusion. I used a 1/2" because that's the only size reference I could find online, that's why I said that about the photos. Both appear to be closer to half a cm. I'm saying a half inch (1.27cm) is huge on paper (it took 74 pt font). I only got three words on the first line on standard paper. At the 35 pt font, my lowercase are also around half a cm.

Advertisement