Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert Boiler Stove.

Options
  • 10-03-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Anybody on here have a good insert boiler stove that heats rads and room well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Wouldnt advise an insert stove as they dont give out as much heat as the normal stoves.

Also the back boiler takes the heat from the fire which make sit even more inefficient

A decent normal stove would heat a 3 bed semi no problems.

Also in case youve never experienced a stove. You can hardly move with the heat. Id say if you left the sitting room door closed you would eventually collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Yes everybody says the heat is amazing from the other stoves. I like the idea of the insert stove being in out of the way tidy but then as you say if the heat is not coming into the room its not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Brianne wrote: »
    Yes everybody says the heat is amazing from the other stoves. I like the idea of the insert stove being in out of the way tidy but then as you say if the heat is not coming into the room its not great.

Novelty of being "out of the way" will wear off when your refilling it every hour because the heat isnt going where it should be. Unless your room is really tiny and you couldnt possibly have it out id go for it. Even then id just use a natural fire really. The smallest Stanley will set you back ~ 400 + ~100 flu and heat an average size house. Best thing i ever spent money on. Id gladly hand out 1000+ if i needed to but i dont. Spending anymore is just a waste as theyre actually too hot. Too big means too hot plus refilling it too often. ~6kw is more than sufficient for a 3 bed semi. Any one storey house may be a different story.

I honestly think an inset stove defeats the purpose. Maybe a salesman will tell you otherwise for obvious reasons. I know a chap that had a stove half in half out of the chimney. Just a normal stove put half way in and he said it lost way too much heat and had it moved back out. That wasnt even an inset stove. Theyre actually not even all that big really. Mine comes out about 2/3 of the fireplace.

Media thanks a million for all that info. Yes theres no point sitting in a cold room admiring an insert if it does'nt do the work right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Recently got this installed in our house, its a 6.4kw stove into a existing fireplace, with the doors open it'll heat the sitting room, kitchen/dinning room and upstairs if we leave the door to the hallway open.

Great heat out of it, doesn't look massively out of place and fuel lasts ages and ages, I'd advise against a insert for the reasons stated above.
    Sadly we didn't have the option to connected to a back boiler so its just stand alone,

stovephoto.jpg

• Advertisement

That looks great and very neat. We would have to get a larger one as we have rads to heat off it and it would not fit on the heart fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

I have a Mulberry Insert stove in a large living room. The heat is great out of the stove and have to leave living room door open it gets so warm. They work by pulling in the air out of the room and and expelling warm air after heating it. Neat tidy and great heat. Dont knock it until you try it

Just wondering if thats a boiler one you have for heating rads? Seemingly the insert stoves without boiler throw out great heat but its the boiler ones that may not be as good, also do you need to use any rad in that room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Cabaal wrote: »
    Recently got this installed in our house, its a 6.4kw stove into a existing fireplace, with the doors open it'll heat the sitting room, kitchen/dinning room and upstairs if we leave the door to the hallway open.

Great heat out of it, doesn't look massively out of place and fuel lasts ages and ages, I'd advise against a insert for the reasons stated above.
    Sadly we didn't have the option to connected to a back boiler so its just stand alone,

stovephoto.jpg

How much did this cost including installation and who did you get it done from if you don't mind me asking? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

the roo wrote: »
    I have a Mulberry Insert stove in a large living room. The heat is great out of the stove and have to leave living room door open it gets so warm. They work by pulling in the air out of the room and and expelling warm air after heating it. Neat tidy and great heat. Dont knock it until you try it

Same as, Mulberry one is quite good and we have a thermomitor in the room and its generally between 21 and 24 degree's depending on what way you use the vents in and out.

Also the heat is not to much to bare, I am guessing that maybe the lower budget ones are made differrent and do not always work so well. Maybe a bit of research will help but I wouldnt go past the Mulberry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anybody on here have a good insert boiler stove that heats rads and room well?

Any good insert boiler stove can be very efficient. Make sure that it is insulated to manufacturers specs. Beware of cheap chinese imports, apparently steel is not up to our standars.

We have just had a Clarinwood insert stove installed and cannot believe the efficiency of it. Not cheap but worth every penny. We use a combination of smokeless coal and wood. It heats our 1250 sq feet house with ease, temp being controlled by thermistat. According to the installer, a heating plumber, it is probably the most efficient stove freestanding or insert on the market. No more draughts in sitting room and saving at least E20 per week over oil. We are lucky to have a good supply of cheap timber.

My advice is to get expert advice, every persons house/needs being different.

I am in Kuala Lumpur at moment so cannot check who we used, but I think it was The Stove People in New Ross. We were very impessed with their expertise. They are in the ind estate up by Tescos.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

reni10 wrote: »
    How much did this cost including installation and who did you get it done from if you don't mind me asking? :)

Marble City Fireplaces did the job for me, talking around the 800e mark

Checked with Waterford Stanley while looking into this and it would have cost another 60-80e more for the same power stove and install.

Eagerv is that a boiler stove and if so how many rads have you off that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A well fitted /designed insert stove into a well built chimney is an excellent product and will give massive effeciencies over an open fire , and obviously a stove will give higher heat outputs than an insert because it is a higher capacity rating , not because it is better.
    All Im saying is compare apples to apples, don't discount the insert , it is a good way to get maximum effeciency from an existing fire.
    An insert is ideal for a single room that you want to cut down on the amount of heat going up the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Got an inset stove before Christmas and it is excellent. Heat can get to unbearable levels ok! However, it doesn't heat water or rads!

Room is quite big and unusual design but find it excellent.

The make is Boru (from Thurles I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I have a Mulberry insert stove, however it's not connected to my central heating. The heat it omits is intense and I have what I would consider a bigger than average living room. So I disagree that they don't give out as much heat as a stand alone stove. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Mulberry factory is out by the old Eirfab on the way to New Ross.

http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/2012/02/mulberry-insert-stove-and-fireftont.html

BLOG+MULB+side+view.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Cabaal wrote: »

stovephoto.jpg
    Cabaal, I'd be careful stacking your timber so close to the stove. A friend of mine used to do the same. He had a good fire going, and one of the logs started to smolder!!
    If he hadn't been in the room, it could have easily escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Eagerv is that a boiler stove and if so how many rads have you off that?

We have I think 10 Rads (1 Double) If you have a big fire you can smell the paint! Plus as much boiling water as any family would need. I fill plus a top up of about 3 logs does us for the day in very cold weather. But we also spent quite a lot on insulating the house.

An insert stove or inset stove(I dont know the difference) can have the same efficiency as a free standing stove providing the insulation behind stove is to scratch. Ask any qualified heating engineer.

Any stove with a boiler will not throw out as much heat to room as a non boiler stove, but we often have to turn down the stat on ours it is so hot!

Sounds fantastic. All very positive comments. I'll definitely now go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Cabaal, I'd be careful stacking your timber so close to the stove. A friend of mine used to do the same. He had a good fire going, and one of the logs started to smolder!!

Have to agree there - you should be looking at least 500mm clearance on either side between the stove and any combustable material. ( Just google Stove Clearance and Combustables - it will vary by manafacturer but once it complys with the regs your sorted)

I may be wrong - but it doesnt look like you have a sufficient amount of hearth in front of your stove to comply with the current building regs ? there is supposed to be around a minimum 8 inches / 225mm of hearth "for a closed unit" in front of the stove to comply ! it may be ok for you now but it will probably cause you problems if you ever need to sell up nevermind the insurance issues you could face now as the installation stands!

Out of interest did your installer use a register plate or did they line your completly your chimney and & seal the unused portion of your chimney ? as from the picture I can still see your old grate which makes me question are you only getting about 50% of the rated efficiency of your stove due to passive stack ventilation / natural draw of your chimney ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I got an Artisan stove from Blacksmith, (gallaghers in the airport business park) it cost 699 and the fitting was about 240, but I have to say that the heat is immense and its only a 5 kW rating.

Its something I'm very aware of alright, the same timber isn't kept beside it very long though and I rarely have a very big fire going.

In addition there's almost always somebody in the room, going to come up with a better inside area for the timber shortly once i move one or two things out of the way

Blacksmith stoves are very good. I 've seen the Bellows and the Forge in houses and they're fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

we recently had an esse 350 greenswitch with boiler installed, as someone who is not up to date with many stoves on sale i had a hard time to to search the internet for the right one for me, i had no idea that inset stoves could fit into a regular fireplace opening, 16 to 18 inch. a neighbour had one installed a unico i think from poland and he was very happy with it, 11 kw, 9 to heat water and 2kw for room, he had it installed with the same company he bought it from. we have a dormer bungalow and 13 rads, 7 of them doubles and liked the idea of an insert rather than a stand alone, after alot of searching it came to a choice between a stratford eco boiler or the esse both are made in england which was a plus for me, went with the esse as it made in lancashire where i use to live, it replaces an old firebird backboiler which worked well for nearly 20 years, not much heat to rads, but had a tank of hot water every evening. the stove company in north cork came to the house to check fireplace and chimney, they did not stock the esse but they sourced one for me, he agreed it would suit the house better than the unico as it gave more heat to the room, it is in now for 3 weeks, i cant believe how much heat this thing is generating, after one hour of lighting mainly with smokeless coal all 13 rads are hot, the whole house is lovely and warm, before it was just the living room, am slowly getting use to the controls and how to use the air flow for optimum use, it has a large glass front 13 inches by 11 normal coal would discolour the glass couldnt see the fire after 30 minutes, cosyglo gems are great keeps it clear with normal fire going, in the morning after dying down it gets a bit smoked up, i find the best way to clean it is with a damp scouring pad and dry kitchen towel. all in all i would say i am very pleased with this make of insert stove, still use the same amount of coal as old fire, but now have a warm house as opposed to one room.

Cranefly that sounds really good, I like the big window. Roughly what size is the room you have it in and do you have a rad in that room? Also does the stove throw out good heat into that room?

hey brianne, the room the stove is in is 16ft by 18ft and there is a radiator in the room, the esse specs say it gives a modest 3.6 kw to the room which i think is enough for my room, it has a double glazed window and cavity wall with aeroboard insulation, we dont have a thermostat on the radiator, we mainly burn coal and it can get fairly warm in the room so we just open the door, the great thing about this stove is that it protrudes about 4 inches into the hearth so their is heat from the large window and part of the stove outside the fireplace which can get very hot, from reading these threads i understand now how important it is to get a good installer to do the job right in the first place, we bought ours from southern stoves in charleville and they installed it as well, you read too many stories about people saying their stoves are useless and dont do what they are supposed to do, i think the stoves are probably fine, it is how they are installed that is the problem, i found out about southern stoves by word of mouth and how glad there customers are with the service they give, i hope this answers your question brianne, i for one am glad i bought the esse 350 gs.

Thanks Cranefly for all that information. That stove sounds really efficient.

hey brianne, sorry for taking so long getting back, have to reply this way cant make heads or tails about replying in a private message, didnt know where to type my reply to you, im not the sharpest knife in the drawer, the flaming thing is full of those smiley faces people seem to love nowadays, would love if it just said type your reply here, but that would be too easy i suppose, anyways, im near mitchelstown so not too far from southern stoves in charleville, all you can do is give them a ring and see if they will call out to you, the fella i dealt with is called denis 087 0942657 you are a bit further away though, im still very happy with the esse, so from the sound of your place and rads it should be perfect for you too, we had a firebird backboiler as well it worked great for all the years we had it nearly 20 now, we didnt need a flu liner i dont think, house is 20 years old and has a chimney with red clay pot out the top and breast lined with sand and lime mix, i know older type fireplaces it would cost alot to get lined for a stove.

Thanks a mil Cranefly for that. I looked at one in a shop recently and was really impressed by it. It has a really big firebox and lovely big window. Its great to get feedback before you purchase.

• Advertisement

your welcome brianne, i was reading these threads for weeks before i decided to go with the esse 350gs, not one person had a bad thing to say about this stove, another good thing about this stove, and i did not know it at the time was, the front part of it comes of for easy installation, four bolts and its off, so if esse come up with a better design in the future the boiler part can stay plumbed in, and the front is interchangeable the part with all the controls, or if you want you could just change the door, they have a few designs, i wish i had known about these inset stoves back in the good times when i could have afforded it better, thank god for the credit union.

Advertisement