Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert Boiler Stove.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for your answer.

If it is your personal opinion and you are not directly connected or trying to flog a particular brand then I could not see how naming these stove makers would be against the rules?

I am looking for a non boiler insert to heat a couple of connected rooms of about 29ft x 13ft in total so if you do have any recommendations please post them here or if you feel you cannot do that then please just PM me.

Thanks....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭StoveMaster

Jambo wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying but will this issue not also occur on the internal firebox / boiler / shell of the other non-boiler stoves such as Stanley which are of welded steel construction with cast façade panels fixed to the outside ? (This is how my old Stanley Tara was built)

I now have a Ború - and have had no issues over the past 2.5 yrs with welds, grates etc and I burn anthracite !, but I do monitor the flue temperatures.

I am aware of someone who cracked a weld on a Ború but this is because of using the stove incorrectly they regularly burned chipboard and worktop cut-offs which are full of glue which which as you will know only acts as an accellerant and burns at very high temps hence elading to such damage.

Hi Jambo
    All good cast iron non boiler stoves have cast iron internal parts so this is not an issue.

The Tara Stove you refer to was a boiler stove that is why the insides are steel plate. Boilers are fine to be made from steel plate as the water jacket (the space between the inner and outer where the water curculates) will not heat enough to cause this long term damage as the thermostat kicks in at around 40 degrees and keeps the heat exchange between the water flowing and the fire in the fire box at a reasnable heat.

There are some exceptions where stove manufacturers put a cast iron door on the front of a stove made from steel plate, these too will fail over time.

I hope this helps, if you need any further information please ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭StoveMaster

reni10 wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer.

If it is your personal opinion and you are not directly connected or trying to flog a particular brand then I could not see how naming these stove makers would be against the rules?

I am looking for a non boiler insert to heat a couple of connected rooms of about 29ft x 13ft in total so if you do have any recommendations please post them here or if you feel you cannot do that then please just PM me.

Thanks....

Hi reni10
    What is your insulation level like?? this has a large imput into the spec of a stove.

Get back to me and I will recomend a Stove.

Hi reni10
    What is your insulation level like?? this has a large imput into the spec of a stove.

Get back to me and I will recomend a Stove.

No idea on insulation at the moment, there is the standard attic insulation but that is probably all and the house is timber framed.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Hi Jambo
    All good cast iron non boiler stoves have cast iron internal parts so this is not an issue.

The Tara Stove you refer to was a boiler stove that is why the insides are steel plate. Boilers are fine to be made from steel plate as the water jacket (the space between the inner and outer where the water curculates) will not heat enough to cause this long term damage as the thermostat kicks in at around 40 degrees and keeps the heat exchange between the water flowing and the fire in the fire box at a reasnable heat.

There are some exceptions where stove manufacturers put a cast iron door on the front of a stove made from steel plate, these too will fail over time.

I hope this helps, if you need any further information please ask.

Actually it was the non boiler version that I had, take a look at the Stanley parts manual for the NB version and you will see.

Out of interest how do you rate all the newish modern central European and Scandinavian produced freestanding stoves? most seem to be of welded steel construction rather than cast! I doubt the German's would use or favour an inferior construction method.

A quick google on the comparison of steel vs cast iron stoves really supprised me, the overwhelming majority seem to favour steel stoves as in general mostly down to the fact that they don't need caulking and reassembling every few years like cast iron units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Hi StoveMaster,
    Any thoughts on the Yeoman CL7 inset?

Anyone any idea where the cheapest place to buy a Waterford Stanley Cara Insert stove is at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 laneyfreak

Just to keep you updated, after much shopping around and talking to stove owners and this board, we have decided to go with the Inset Boiler Stratford EB16. We are assured this will give us sufficient heating to all our radiators and hot water (in the way we want it and the room in which we have the stove, without the need to go for the even larger version which will almost be too hot! We have put alot of research into getting the work carried out and places to buy and have decided to opt for Supply and Fit with the one company. This fits our needs for a one point contact in case of any follow up issues. We gave the job out to around 4 companies to price and have had quotes from €4,400 to €7,300 so definately worth shopping around for. We have chosen a company and they have given us customer details for other clients work to chat to and all are satisfied with the quality of work and the stove.

I know our method of choosing wont be for everyone but I know what a long and complicated process it has been so if it saves anyone else time or helps I just wanted to share.

Should be getting it installed in the next couple of weeks so will let you know how we get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ladymuckmoo

wondering if anyone can help, we are hoping to buy a multi fuel inset backboiler stove but we have gas central heating and some people have told us we can't use a backboiler with the gas central heating. Anyone know if this is true? we like the cassette/studio style stoves but most of them are woodburners without backboiler. anyone know of a studio/cassette sytle stove that is a multfuelo backboiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Southie40

laneyfreak wrote: »
    Just to keep you updated, after much shopping around and talking to stove owners and this board, we have decided to go with the Inset Boiler Stratford EB16. We are assured this will give us sufficient heating to all our radiators and hot water (in the way we want it and the room in which we have the stove, without the need to go for the even larger version which will almost be too hot! We have put alot of research into getting the work carried out and places to buy and have decided to opt for Supply and Fit with the one company. This fits our needs for a one point contact in case of any follow up issues. We gave the job out to around 4 companies to price and have had quotes from €4,400 to €7,300 so definately worth shopping around for. We have chosen a company and they have given us customer details for other clients work to chat to and all are satisfied with the quality of work and the stove.

I know our method of choosing wont be for everyone but I know what a long and complicated process it has been so if it saves anyone else time or helps I just wanted to share.

Should be getting it installed in the next couple of weeks so will let you know how we get on!!

Hi laney

Just wondering if you have an update on your stratford. I am in a very similar situation to you and was considering the same stove. How are you getting on?

• Advertisement

Southie40 wrote: »
    Hi laney

Just wondering if you have an update on your stratford. I am in a very similar situation to you and was considering the same stove. How are you getting on?

Hi there

We now have it in around 3 months and it is brilliant. It took us around a month to really learn how to set it and work with it. We really fire it up to begin with, using a combination of wood and bord na mona diamond coal. We very rarely put the gas on, just sometimes in the morning for half an hour and if we are out all day and want immediate heat. It takes around an hour or so for the house to warm up when we put it on. Now, the only thing is, it is a large stove and so you will be burning quite a lot. We have learnt over time how to burn more efficiently, the thermostatic control is brilliant and you can turn it down and have it burning slowly.

Would highly recommend it, our house has never been warmer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hi there

We now have it in around 3 months and it is brilliant. It took us around a month to really learn how to set it and work with it. We really fire it up to begin with, using a combination of wood and bord na mona diamond coal. We very rarely put the gas on, just sometimes in the morning for half an hour and if we are out all day and want immediate heat. It takes around an hour or so for the house to warm up when we put it on. Now, the only thing is, it is a large stove and so you will be burning quite a lot. We have learnt over time how to burn more efficiently, the thermostatic control is brilliant and you can turn it down and have it burning slowly.

FFS Laney Freak, keep it quiet will ya before they start putting more extra taxes and levies on the stuff

Hi there

Hi laney,

Thats great glad to see it working out. With mine I have the house zoned upstairs downstairs and I have those solo rads downstairs which dont use much hot water. Out of curiosity how much coal were you burning in the beginning and now. Is it a bucket a day?

If we had it on from say 3pm onwards you would be talking half a bucket of coal and a bucket of wood, that does all rads.

If we had it on from say 3pm onwards you would be talking half a bucket of coal and a bucket of wood, that does all rads.

Thanks laney I think that does it for me. We have an open fire at the moment and it takes nearly a bucket of coal everyday... so coal wise the status quo would remain but you have all the rads thrown in. Sounds good. Thanks for your help

Hi Laney,

Back to you again on this. Just 1 further question on your stove. You said your living room is 17x12 in total between living room and dining room. I have a very similar set up in our house. You said you had 2 doubles in that room previously. Does the output from the stove (i think approx 5kw) is that enough to heat both hte rooms without the rads being needed?
    1 month later how are things going with the Stratford now?

Hi Laney,

Back to you again on this. Just 1 further question on your stove. You said your living room is 17x12 in total between living room and dining room. I have a very similar set up in our house. You said you had 2 doubles in that room previously. Does the output from the stove (i think approx 5kw) is that enough to heat both hte rooms without the rads being needed?
    1 month later how are things going with the Stratford now?

Back to you again on this. Just 1 further question on your stove. You said your living room is 17x12 in total between living room and dining room. I have a very similar set up in our house. You said you had 2 doubles in that room previously. Does the output from the stove (i think approx 5kw) is that enough to heat both hte rooms without the rads being needed? 1 month later how are things going with the Stratford now?

Hi Southie40

Yes it is definately enough. Obviously depends on how much coal you use, but yes definately enough and I have to open the doors to the room some evenings as it is so warm. Definite learning is to fire the stove up with a good lot of coal on lighting and then refill using wood, turf, etc but it is the coal that really gets the heat going!! Delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lukmaxpayne

Hi all
    Im looking forward to install insert boiler stove. i have 10 double rads on two floors. lets say i have bought already stove. my most important question is whats next. im on the oil heating right now. do i have to destroy half of the house to get everything fitted??
    (i mean floors walls etc) the second how much money i have to get ready for the job. everybody talking about stoves but im really intrested in the fitting part.

kind regards

Advertisement