Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting an old coin-op to run MAME

• 10-03-2012 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'd love to have a go at buliding a MAME arcade machine, but while I'm semi-useful with computer hardware and software, I'm completely useless with woodworking, electronics etc. I'm wondering if converting an old arcade machine would be a simpler task for me than building from scratch? Can anyone give me some pointers for what would be involved. Also, can anyone give me any tips on where I could pick up an old arcade machine for a reasonable price (preferably in the Cork area)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Coverting is obviously easier, though there is no more converting as such. Pick yourself up a JPAC & simply plug your pc into the cabs existing jamma connector :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

That sounds almost idiot-prood. Do all cabs have a jamma connector, or are they specific to certain cabs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

doxy wrote: »
    That sounds almost idiot-prood. Do all cabs have a jamma connector, or are they specific to certain cabs?

Its never that simple, but in theory any jamma cab cab be mame'ified simply with a pc & a jpac. Obviously the type of screen etc will change things somewhat, but on paper its very easily done. The time-consuming bit is choosing the OS, frontend, setting up themes etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I was the same as you, hadnt a clue about woodwork or electronics, just worked with computers. I built my own one, took me a year to do it, but its finished now.

keithgeo wrote: »
    I was the same as you, hadnt a clue about woodwork or electronics, just worked with computers. I built my own one, took me a year to do it, but its finished now.

I had a quick glimpse at your thread, I'm very impressed with your machine, looks great :) I would love to take on a project like that someday, but for the moment I think the easier the better for me.

Does anybody know any places to pick up 2nd hand arcade machines for a reasonable price? There used to be a couple of machines in every pub and chipper in the country a few years ago, there must loads laying around somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Hey Doxy

I have done exactly what your trying to do before.
    I think I even started same post you did here on Boards.ie few years ago and thanks to
    all great lads on this forums I finally got going and now restored few Cabs.

See build log at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75851797

Like you I was going to build from scratch, but building skills wouldnt be that great and I didnt have place to build one.
    Thats what I really wanted to do, but I dont think id come close to thing of beauty that keith made :)
    But decided for me be lot easier to restore an older cab, found Cab at good price as everyone thought it only had 25Htzs monitor, But it actually had 15Htzs after dozens hours on google managed to change Jumpers around to 15htz,
    its all finished now and as its a restore its got that nice authentic feel to it, its even still got its Irish Arcade License Disk on it :)

I Started with an XArcade CP, was great for learning about Mamae and hooked up direct to my Laptop, later I then went out bought an MiniPac from GremlinSolutions and full buttons kit etc.
    Jamma would be great be great as can hook PC straight into it,
    But Cab I bought was a Sega Model 2 board and at time didnt know easy way to mod it, so removed Sega Model 2 and fitted PC inside instead, Kept Monitor plus box for Deguassing etc..., Power supply, Marquee and even original Speakers.

All I had to do then was hook up PC to Monitor Via ArcadeVga Card, VideoAmp and built a new Control Panel from scratch. And I absolutely love the thing and its great being able to see you restored it yourself.
    And with Hyperspin finally working on it now too, it looks the part.
    Thats all being said it took a whole year but well worth it :)

Im in Cork too, so PM away if you need some starter pointers :)
    I might even have a Cab :)
    Thanks, Kev

Thanks for the very informative post Kev :) Sending PM.

Advertisement