Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3,000 word essay due!

Options
  • 10-03-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Would it be really bad if i submitted with only 2,000 words done?. I'm afraid there's an immediate penalty for going way under the word count!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What course is it? I know history only has 10% allowance either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

it's science. we were never given guidelines except upto 3,000 words with a penalty for anything over 3099

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Sometimes you just get plain lucky. I once did a 5,000 word essay and only did 3,800 and got a B+. Someone else only did 3,300 and got a C+. So I think the moral of the story sometimes is quality not quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Appendix A,B,C... with related tables and background info etc with attribution if necessary.

referred to in the main body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I always went by quality, not quantity. Many lecturers of mine also said this.

I'm sure they'd rather read 2000 words on topic, than an extra 1000 off topic filler words.

There usually is a 10% either way allowance, but if you email in advance and let them know you've said all you can/want to say.

Btw, does that include bibliography etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Btw, does that include bibliography etc?

Unless the individual lecturer advises otherwise, you should probably assume that references, bibliography, appendices, cover pages etc don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I was just wondering whether or not the OP had included them in his/her count. I'd always exclude them from mine.

Advertisement