Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saudi Arabia not to send female atheles to Olympics

• 10-03-2012 7:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Saudi Arabia has stated it will not send female athletes to the Olympic Games as per usual. That is approximately 50% of the population discriminated against.
    The Olympic charter refers to a number of principles:
    - Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.
    - Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.
    - Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter and recognition by the IOC.

In 2000 Afghanistan, then ruled by the Taliban, was banned from Sydney Olympics due to their oppression of women. South Africa was banned from taking part in the Olympics from 1964-1992 due to its apartheid policies. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/sports/olympics/olympic-ban-on-saudi-arabia-is-urged-over-lack-of-female-athletes.html?_r=1

Why do we allow Saudi Arabia to participate in the Olympics if they refuse to comply with the rules of the Olympics? Is it because they possess wealth and are not Iran?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Who do you mean by "we"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

snubbleste wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia has stated it will not send female athletes to the Olympic Games as per usual. That is approximately 50% of the population discriminated against.

How did you get to that statistic mate? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sports are considerably more difficult in a burka.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How did you get to that statistic mate? :cool:

I counted all of them Arab looking people, assigned a gender and divided by the roman numeral two

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dudess wrote: »
    Who do you mean by "we"?
    We means the rest of the world as represented by each country's Olympic delegate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

If you're friends with the biggest bully in the playground then you can treat women as you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

If they are not banned it will be a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

They might start letting them go to school and voting and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Saudi is a backwards,terrible country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Got a point. South Africa were banned for many years for similar reasons.

That said, my problem with this reaction is that's a load of symbollics. The saudis woun;t give a **** and the only people hurt will be male Saudi athletes, who may well be all for the participation of women.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Female athletes.

:rolleyes:

Mod note: User banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

charlemont wrote: »
    If you're friends with the biggest bully in the playground then you can treat women as you want.

7 posts before the US/Israel was brought up in a vaguely political Arabic thread. Well done AH, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

DB21 wrote: »
    7 posts before the US/Israel was brought up in a vaguely political Arabic thread. Well done AH, well done.

:D Was waiting for it myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

snubbleste wrote: »

Why do we allow Saudi Arabia to participate in the Olympics if they refuse to comply with the rules of the Olympics? Is it because they possess wealth and are not Iran?

Yes, essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

charlemont wrote: »

:D Dont think there that friendly with Iran ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Nice one, Thanks.:D

Well if women being treated like shít isn't politics, what is ?

If Saudi Arabia wasn't Uncle Sam's supplier then they wouldn't get away with their carry on, Saddam or Iran would have whooped that regime decades ago.

For the benefit of the doubt I'm not saying I support Saddam and/or Iran.

I'm not an America basher or a conspiracy theorist but I think it's pretty relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

When the Saudis offer you the hand of friendship, be polite and don't ask who they cut it off.:rolleyes:

Saudi Arabia is a savage backward place ruled by some 4,000 decadent and often debauched male members of one family. They don't even pretend to have a parliament - something that even North Korea claims to have - but they have a lot of oil and buy gazillions worth of weapons from the USA.:eek:

I really hope the Arab spring reaches there one day, because the sky will be black with cnuts hanging by their balls.;);)

Given that they don't even allow women to drive cars or leave the home without a male relative, is anyone surprised that they won't let their women athletes compete in the Olympics, where they will inevitably have to show a bit of skin?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I really think Ireland should withdraw its team in protest. My hope would be that this would be sufficient to bring more attention to the ban and lead to a Saudi expulsion. There is good reason precedent and it is an absolute disgrace if this country is allowed to compete despite this blatant and overt breach of the Olympic Charter's commitment to equality.

I mean like it's not that they are going to win anyfing seeing as they are usually a bit chubby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

They could at least put someone in for the archery/shooting, no need to show skin there. And the fencing costume is even less revealing than a burka.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I really think Ireland should withdraw its team in protest. My hope would be that this would be sufficient to bring more attention to the ban and lead to a Saudi expulsion. There is good reason precedent and it is an absolute disgrace if this country is allowed to compete despite this blatant and overt breach of the Olympic Charter's commitment to equality.

I mean like it's not that they are going to win anyfing seeing as they are usually a bit chubby.

I'm not understanding the logic here. Why should Ireland punish its athletes for the sins of the Saudis? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe the OP could list the other countries that aren't sending women ?

Maybe the OP could name any Saudi female athlete who has qualified for the Olympics ?

What % of the people we've sent in the past have been women ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm guessing you know very little about either sport or politics and **** all respect for the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

Sports are considerably more difficult in a burka.
    :)

goose2005 wrote: »
    They could at least put someone in for the archery/shooting, no need to show skin there. And the fencing costume is even less revealing than a burka.

It's not often one gets to say this, but thats the kind of logic that would work with the Iranians. Not so this shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dudess wrote: »
    Who do you mean by "we"?

Indeed, don't you just love it when the 'we' brigade starts up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Indeed, don't you just love it when the 'we' brigade starts up.

Oui

I'm not understanding the logic here. Why should Ireland punish its athletes for the sins of the Saudis? :confused:

Because for evil to succeed it only takes the good to do nothing.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you know very little about either sport or politics and **** all respect for the former.

your sentence doesn't make sense, I think you are missing a verb. try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

"If you pick at it, it'll only make it worse".

"T'is a long road without a bend".

"There's a stretch in the evenings now".

The IOC rules are clear. If the Saudis are not willing to abide by them, they should not be allowed to participate. I fail to see how Ireland's withdrawal from the Olympics would have any impact whatsoever, except for on their own athletes - I doubt the Saudis would see the error of their ways here.

The IOC rules are clear. If the Saudis are not willing to abide by them, they should not be allowed to participate. I fail to see how Ireland's withdrawal from the Olympics would have any impact whatsoever, except for on their own athletes - I doubt the Saudis would see the error of their ways here.

...if anything, the absence of notorious bacon eating alcohol consumers might well encourage them further.

I agree and would expect that other nations would join us and that public reaction would force the Saudi's expulsion. It's just what I think they should do, I fully understand that they may not want to and consider that the risk of losing their chance of Olympic success and the pride that come sin participation isn't worth risking over taking a stand for the rights of Saudi women.

I don't always do what I think(know) I should.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...if anything, the absence of notorious bacon eating alcohol consumers might well encourage them further.

You obviously haven't seen wealthy Saudis in action outside of their national borders. ;)

You obviously haven't seen wealthy Saudis in action outside of their national borders. ;)

...O I've heard more than me fair share. And I might add that the odds of the police or Religous police raiding royal family members houses and estates within Saudi are nil. They are possibly the greatest shower of hypocrites on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Surely there's some sort of Facebook online petition that will sort this out?

your sentence doesn't make sense, I think you are missing a verb. try again.

Reads perfectly okay. "I'm guessing you know nothing about either sport or politics" and "I guess you have no respect for the former."

I really dislike that saying - it just blames people who aren't directly responsible. For evil to succeed, it takes an evil-doer or group of evil-doers to carry out their evil, and subjugate people sufficiently that they are too afraid to speak out. Sure, there's an element of truth to the statement but it refers to those who have the means to do something, not just good people. It isn't the only factor. Powerless people are hardly in a position to do something. Tyranny can be insidious - it isn't always apparent at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

From less than 60 years ago in Ireland, John Charles McQuaid's Lenten Regulations (from Bock the Robber http://bocktherobber.com/2012/02/lenten-regulations-john-charles-mcquaid/)

We take occasion to express our grave disapproval of the practice which has begun to show itself of permitting young women to compete in cycling and athletics in mixed public sports.

Pope Pius XI, emphasising the rules for separation of the sexes which the law of nature and Christian prudence demand, has declared: ‘These rules must be observed also in athletics and gymnastic exercises, where special precaution must be taken in regard to Christian modesty in the case of girls, inasmuch as it is extremely unbecoming for them to display themselves before the public gaze’. (Encyclical Letter, “Divini Illius Magisti”.)

People in glasshouses etc...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

They want to keep their women feminine and not produce flat chested track wonders or Gorilla shouldered tennis players .

• Advertisement

paddyandy wrote: »
    They want to keep their women feminine and not produce flat chested track wonders or Gorilla shouldered tennis players .

Jaysus John Charles, we thought we'd lost ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They could still send them over anyway for the cooking and cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Pwpane wrote: »
    From less than 60 years ago in Ireland, John Charles McQuaid's Lenten Regulations (from Bock the Robber http://bocktherobber.com/2012/02/lenten-regulations-john-charles-mcquaid/)

We take occasion to express our grave disapproval of the practice which has begun to show itself of permitting young women to compete in cycling and athletics in mixed public sports.

Pope Pius XI, emphasising the rules for separation of the sexes which the law of nature and Christian prudence demand, has declared: ‘These rules must be observed also in athletics and gymnastic exercises, where special precaution must be taken in regard to Christian modesty in the case of girls, inasmuch as it is extremely unbecoming for them to display themselves before the public gaze’. (Encyclical Letter, “Divini Illius Magisti”.)

People in glasshouses etc...

Bullshít.

That was wrong back then and it's wrong now.

Also, just because we had stupid laws in the past does not mean that we can't criticise other countries for their backward practices. In fact, it may mean that we are in a better position to criticise because we, as a nation, learned that these laws were stupid.

The point that you're trying to make is dumb.

The Sports Industry not being contented with the vast fortunes from men has called out the women too in order that more billions can be made .It's really the coquettish behaviour of big business that's behind this .People today are very docile when prodded by slick advertising .
    Why a woman needs to be athletic serves no practical purpose whatsoever and there is the idea that fitness and health are the same thing ; which it is'nt .TV and Journalism are accomplices in all this and who can keep the politicians away from any photo call. If the Animal World could see the Humans at their efforts in 1.Boxing ..the average adult kangaroo could kill a heavyweight
    2. Running ; The average domestic cat or dog can outrun an olympic runner 3. My goldfish can swim better than any entrant .The Animal World if they could understand the Spectacle of the Olympic games would laugh and not stop at the nonsense before them Human Beings have nothing to brag about when it comes to psychical prowess .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Must resist making racist comment towards Saudi Government and Royal Family.

Must resist....

Oh God.....I am so so tempted.

PERSONALLY I EFFING HATE THE SAUDI's. With a burning incandescent passion. As tourists....VILE. As customers....VILE. I feel sorry for the good ones though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Sports Industry not being contented with the vast fortunes from men has called out the women too in order that more billions can be made .It's really the coquettish behaviour of big business that's behind this .People today are very docile when prodded by slick advertising .
    Why a woman needs to be athletic serves no practical purpose whatsoever and there is the idea that fitness and health are the same thing ; which it is'nt .TV and Journalism are accomplices in all this and who can keep the politicians away from any photo call. If the Animal World could see the Humans at their efforts in 1.Boxing ..the average adult kangaroo could kill a heavyweight
    2. Running ; The average domestic cat or dog can outrun an olympic runner 3. My goldfish can swim better than any entrant .The Animal World if they could understand the Spectacle of the Olympic games would laugh and not stop at the nonsense before them Human Beings have nothing to brag about when it comes to psychical prowess .
    That's an interesting viewpoint.

Bullshít.

That was wrong back then and it's wrong now.

Also, just because we had stupid laws in the past does not mean that we can't criticise other countries for their backward practices. In fact, it may mean that we are in a better position to criticise because we, as a nation, learned that these laws were stupid.

The point that you're trying to make is dumb.

You should look at what Tennis has done to the once beautiful gabriel Sabbatini .She has shoulders like Mike TYSON ON HER and there are many examples of mannish women .
    Why were the Laws Stupid ?Those Laws Protected women from wild and reckless demands from industry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd like to see your goldfish doing the back-stroke, crawl etc and then stand on the podium to collect a feckin medal.:P

dermo88 wrote: »
    Must resist making racist comment towards Saudi Government and Royal Family.

Must resist....

Oh God.....I am so so tempted.

PERSONALLY I EFFING HATE THE SAUDI's. With a burning incandescent passion. As tourists....VILE. As customers....VILE. I feel sorry for the good ones though,

Different thread or the mods attention needed here .

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'd like to see your goldfish doing the back-stroke, crawl etc and then stand on the podium to collect a feckin medal.:P

Does'nt need too and neither do people need that stupid show- off display .

• Advertisement
Advertisement