Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cheap Build Required HTPC

Options
  • 10-03-2012 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? The cheaper the better, as long as it can play HD material smoothly.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? HTPC

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Maybe a hard disk.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Possibly...

8. How can you pay? CC, Paypal, Bank Transfer

9. When are you purchasing? Soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

I ordered one of hardwareversand.de the other day. My fist build was €301 but with an €86 ssd. I ended up going for one that cost €460ish but this was my first build with thanks to the mighty Deconduo
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77433223

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That build is a very good one (linked above). It's pretty much what I'd suggest. If you want to save money, you could go with an mATX board vs an mITX one, and if you don't need the speed, you could use an old mechanical drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Serephucus wrote: »
    That build is a very good one (linked above). It's pretty much what I'd suggest. If you want to save money, you could go with an mATX board vs an mITX one, and if you don't need the speed, you could use an old mechanical drive.

Doesn't work out cheaper because you need a case and PSU as well:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €110.14
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40.43
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1000 black|€32.64
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€37.07

vs

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €113.20
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.01
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€61.19

However you do get a case with more space, and a power supply that can support a graphics card if you want to upgrade later. If its just a simple HTPC going with the mITX is better as its smaller and a bit more power efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Good point. I hadn't thought about the PSU. I just skimmed the build and assumed you'd included a VP350 or something, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

yes I was recommended the case and psu in one but the silverstone can fit on the stand instead of my blu ray player while the thermaltake will not so I went with silverstone+psu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Cheers for the advice lads, are the Asus Mobos with the built in processors any good? i think i saw a deluxe one for €140 ish, would just need a case/PSU/ram then to make a complete system. Are they good enough for HD content though?

One of these

Advertisement