Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Dublin Maternity Hospital???

Options
  • 10-03-2012 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi ladies, pregnant with my first after trying for a year and a half so very excited,but didnt realise how hard it is to choose a hospital. I am travelling from Kells , Co.Meath and trying to decide which hospital is easiest to get too but also which is most recommended, i have vhi but not sure whether to go semi private or privateconfused.gif. i would be delighted to hear your opinions or advice. thnx x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Probably the Rotunda? It's the first hospital you'll hit as you come in from the M3/N3 and closeness will probably be everything if you're in labour. I've had two children there and couldn't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Rotunda but I wouldn't bother with semiprivate. I would go public next time and if I had loads of money private.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I definitely agree with public unless you have the spare cash for private or semi private. Everything is free and you get the same level of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I went semi private in Holles street and would just go public next time as well...
    I'd also recommend going for convenience, the level of care in all of the hospitals is the same really, and no matter where you go the midwives are generally fanatastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I attended the Rotunda through the Public system and was very happy with the standard of care provided. Great team of Midwives and OBs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

You'll hear bad and good stories about every hospital so I would go with what's easiest access wise. I'm registered with rotunda and they appear to be the best for number of scans. Most other hospitals do only one scan but rotunda do one near the 12 wk mark and then near the 20 wk mark. I've found all the staff to be very very nice.

I'm going public and as others have said, you'll get same level of care. With private apts you don't have to wait as long apparently, but I don't think that's worth paying through the nose for.

Oh and big congrats to you! I'd say you and your partner are over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Also check to see if a particular hospital runs satellite clinics close to where you live. I imagine that Meath would be in the Rotunda's catchment area as Holles St cover south of Dublin and the Coombe covers west of Dublin. It would mean that you wouldn't have to travel all the way in for each appointment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have a look at all 3 hospitals and decide.
    If you are going private or semi private book immediately.
    I went semi private in Holles St twice,I an recommend it but if I have a 3rd I will probably go private.
    All of the hospitals are extremely busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Also check to see if a particular hospital runs satellite clinics close to where you live. I imagine that Meath would be in the Rotunda's catchment area as Holles St cover south of Dublin and the Coombe covers west of Dublin. It would mean that you wouldn't have to travel all the way in for each appointment.

The Rotunda only do satellite clinics in Finglas and Blanchardstown, not as far out as Meath. Actually, I know someone who lives in Navan who went to Mullingar Hospital, would that be an option for you?

Advertisement