Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Prune Dogwoods for Winter Stem Colour

Options
  • 10-03-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on how to best prune my dogwoods to ensure that I get the best winter colour from them.

They are 4 years old about 6 feet tall, located in Galway and they are already beginning to bud, is to too late to prune them this year?

Note: NOT an experienced gardener :-)

Regards;

Derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Very easy, in spring cut back all shoots to ground level ie < 200mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Thank you for the reply,

Is this like pruning roses,should I cut above a bud

If I do that this month, how high will the stems grow back this year?

Should I do this every year?

One prunes roses but Dogwoods IMO being closer to scrub planting are when it comes to annual cutting unfussy.

I cut them well back, found the experience stressful:)

Can't wait to see the new young stems next winter.

I cut them well back, found the experience stressful:)

Can't wait to see the new young stems next winter.

It's a bit like being a good parent, sometimes you may appear to be cruel in order to be kind.

You'll reap the rewards next Spring. For optimum colour performance, repeat cutback every year. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Interesting post, thank you OP, I have a shipload of dogwood and have been nibble-pruning it for a couple of years, they look very bare at low level, I am gonna massacre them now!

They have got to be near-impossible to kill; when the branches touch ground they shoot; and suckers sprout all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

deandean wrote: »
    They have got to be near-impossible to kill; when the branches touch ground they shoot; and suckers sprout all over the place.

+1

I have loads of dogwoods and just cut them back severely every spring.

I think the word "pruning" puts some people off - implying a certain level of skill and expertise, but when it comes to dogwoods, think more of "hacking" than pruning :)

Just take your courage into your hand and away you go.

A "Tip" I received was to decide on a pruning height, for me approx 12" and then just go for it. taking all "decision" out of the process and speeding it up mightily.

I had pruned my roses the previous week and I had been faffing about deciding where to cut each branch, until I appealed her for advice and then asked in my Garden Center.

Already seeing some "new life" beginning to think that Dogwood = Weed :-)

Advertisement