Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick City- Where to rent

• 10-03-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there.. I am moving to Limerick to take up a new job for 18 months. Im a 28 year old girl and hope to rent a place on my own... So I want to feel safe and in a fairly decent place.

I know the usual stories about limerick being unsafe etc. but any local knowldege would be really helpful.. Im looking at apartment called the Windmill on Windmill street, also at Rafers Court Georges Quay, Newtown House on Henry street, Steamboat quay and lastly Taits Corner Glentworth street.

I know thats alot of places but has anyone any idea about these apartments blocks? Ever lived there before or had friends there?..

Thanks a million for any help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

first off yck10ytu, dont believe all the nonsense hype about limerick, it's as safe as anywhere else in ireland, i've been living down here now nearly 15 years and never had any trouble. i live in steamboat quay and its grand, windmill lane also is a decent place.

there are nicer more modern apartments though up around an area called the strand (one of the other boardsies might help me out with the name on that one), but again they are more expensive.

have a gander on daft.ie for apartments within your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

yck10ytu wrote: »
    Hi there.. I am moving to Limerick to take up a new job for 18 months. Im a 28 year old girl and hope to rent a place on my own... So I want to feel safe and in a fairly decent place.

I know the usual stories about limerick being unsafe etc. but any local knowldege would be really helpful.. Im looking at apartment called the Windmill on Windmill street, also at Rafers Court Georges Quay, Newtown House on Henry street, Steamboat quay and lastly Taits Corner Glentworth street.

I know thats alot of places but has anyone any idea about these apartments blocks? Ever lived there before or had friends there?..

Thanks a million for any help...

Hey,
    I was in a similar situation to you a few months back. I wasn't particularly looking for a one bedroom place but was keeping my eye on them all the same.

I ended up in a two bedroom apt in "The Strand" on O'Callaghan Strand. (Each building has its own particular name but people just refer to them as "Apt x, The Strand"). You would want to have money to burn though to rent one of them by yourself. You'd be renting a two bedroom apt @ around €850/€900 a month. (Love these apts btw, ridiculously warm as they are well insulated, pity about the abysmal broadband).

A good one bedroom apt seemed very hard to come by. The one bedrooms I did see advertised were not great considering the money being quoted (although the pricing is geared towards couples).

I viewed a 2 bedroom apt in Steamboat Quay. No offence to anyone who lives there but the building and apt I went into wasn't up to scratch for me, more so the building. Maintenance didn't seem to be much of a priority. Although the rent was at a very keen price so you couldn't complain much really.

As for the safety thing, xsiborg pretty much sums it up. No different from any other place in Ireland.

So ya, just arrange some viewings and give a walk around the area to get a feel for your potential surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

you're spot on with your assessment Townie, good informative post too! if i had €950 a month in the morning i'd definitely go for the strand, (you mention the broadband isnt great though? can you not choose your own provider?), M&C are pouring an absolute fortune into this place for the last year or so but it's like throwing money into a money pit, it'll never be the same standard it was when i first moved in here 14 years ago. but at least some of the apartments internally anyway are in good condition, it's worth a look for apartments that are available from €550 - €800 for one of the townhouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It depends where you're working, but if it's in the city centre, you might try Fisherman's Quay or Lock Mills. I lived in each of them for a year with my wife and kids, and never felt unsafe.

Parking and rubbish disposal included in the price, close to the city centre. (Just don't get a flat facing the student village). Supervalu and a gym round the corner, if you're into that.

Take a look at places one and six on
    this list.

It's not convenient for the other side of the city though, so as I said, knowing where you'll be working, and if you have a car or not, might help recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I don't know any of the particular buildings you mention, but all of the areas sound fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 yck10ytu

Hey thanks a million.. this is so helpful. I will be working on Henry Street so city center is ideal. I do have a car but would rather be walking distance to work as I will work long days alot and would hope to be able to pop over and back to work after dinner etc.
    Good suggestion to have a walk around and general feel of the area.. At the minute I have been looking mostly for places on my own, on a limited budget!!

Ill be looking but seems I shouldnt be believing all the limerick hype!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

xsiborg wrote: »
    you're spot on with your assessment Townie, good informative post too! if i had €950 a month in the morning i'd definitely go for the strand, (you mention the broadband isnt great though? can you not choose your own provider?), M&C are pouring an absolute fortune into this place for the last year or so but it's like throwing money into a money pit, it'll never be the same standard it was when i first moved in here 14 years ago. but at least some of the apartments internally anyway are in good condition, it's worth a look for apartments that are available from €550 - €800 for one of the townhouses.

I didn't bother speaking to the landlord about it, just the housemate. It seems to be a very similar setup to an apt block I was in before. Wireless to the building, fed to all the apts, then a wireless router fitted in the apt. That was the setup before she moved in. IMS are managing it. Did a search on the UPC website for any apts in The Strand with their service but no results showed up. It seems to me the infrastructure just wasn't put in place at the time the blocks were built.
    yck10ytu wrote: »
    Hey thanks a million.. this is so helpful. I will be working on Henry Street so city center is ideal. I do have a car but would rather be walking distance to work as I will work long days alot and would hope to be able to pop over and back to work after dinner etc.
    Good suggestion to have a walk around and general feel of the area.. At the minute I have been looking mostly for places on my own, on a limited budget!!

Ill be looking but seems I shouldnt be believing all the limerick hype!!

Henry St up by Dunnes, adjacent to Bedford Row, is the nicest part of the City Centre IMO. Theres also apts there called City Central (Big curved glass front, can't miss it if you look upwards). They have one bedroom apts but again saucy at €600 a month. With two its much more affordable at €700 a month.

Good luck with your search, you'll need it. As I said, most one bedders look for rent amounts only affordable for couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

hiya
    when i first moved out of home me and the boyfriend moved into the apartments windmill on windmill street(4years ago) are gorgeous and very secure as they are secruity in the actual buildng at night time nd no1 can get in unless they are buzzed in i know the rent was expensive 800p/m but they are nice and we had a parking space and the girls upstairs in the office were lovely if we ever had any problems :)
    hope all goes well with the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ricoh

Does anyone know anything about the apartments in taits corner? They look lovely but there are quite a few for rent so wondering if they are a bit dodgy?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Around Tait's Corner is just one of those places I wouldn't live. Never seen any trouble up there, but it looks run down and derelict all around there.

These are much more central and what I would consider safer areas of the city:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1207966
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1188880
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1198955
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1221502

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

You could also look at renting a house in dooradoyle or similar area, rent is about €700 p/m.

South Circular Rd would be close enough for you to walk to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

liammur wrote: »
    You could also look at renting a house in dooradoyle or similar area, rent is about €700 p/m.

South Circular Rd would be close enough for you to walk to work.

Wouldn't recommend living in the suburbs to a newcomer, especially if she's going to be working in the city centre. She'll get a decent one bedroom apartment in the city from 400 euro plus, and she'll be able to get by without a car (big cost saving there), and will get to do lots in the evening times too.

Advertisement