Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oran traffic plan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

That's funny, just giving out about the amount of traffic coming thru the village around 4.30 this evening. And not much stopped went straight thru.

And dont start on the parking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

otterj wrote: »
    http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/1336/2012-10/New-traffic-plan-for-Oranmore

Has this started yet havent seen anything in the village

I understand via Cllr Liam Carroll that it is expected to be finalised within the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

What is planned for the first stage?

Webbs wrote: »
    What is planned for the first stage?

As I understand it the main focus will be on putting in parking restrictions - double yellow lines in places where the road width is limited. There is a concern that the parking situation is so bad that emergency vehicles couldn't get into or through the village if there was a fire or some other incident.

As I understand it the main focus will be on putting in parking restrictions - double yellow lines in places where the road width is limited. There is a concern that the parking situation is so bad that emergency vehicles couldn't get into or through the village if there was a fire or some other incident.

Thats great, could never understand the lack of parking restrictions on both sides of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

So they are going to paint yellow lines, a good thing as long as it is enforced, but where are the cars going to park?

The car park by the astra turf is full most of the time?

Usually when i want to go to the village for something it is to pick up a take away and there is no parking available near those anyway.

NTC wrote: »
    So they are going to paint yellow lines, a good thing as long as it is enforced, but where are the cars going to park?

The car park by the astra turf is full most of the time?

Usually when i want to go to the village for something it is to pick up a take away and there is no parking available near those anyway.

You could always park in the Tesco car park, there's parking by Bella baby, also can you use the church carpark and parking at the Ramada. The last 2 I'm not sure about restrictions etc but am sure nothing is enforced.
    From all of them its a minute walk to the village.

I also heard they may be increasing the parking around the astro turf pitches.

problem is doesnt matter how much parking is put there people just dont want to walk more than 20yards to their destination

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

A few new double yellow lines and a few new signposts is hardly a solution to the traffic problem. That's all they appear to be at.

And if today is anything is to go by they may as well not bothered, loads parking on double yellow lines and in the yellow boxes. Unless this change is backed up by a real blitz by wardens on parking then it will be a complete waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Went through the village today and couldn't see the shiny new double yellow lines for all the cars parked on top of them. What a joke. They need to narrow the road so there is only space for 2 vehicles to pass through and put bollards up along the edge of the widened footpaths. No one will be able to park along the main street then. It's worked in other towns. There is ample parking in Oranmore so it couldn't easily handle this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

finlma wrote: »
    They need to narrow the road so there is only space for 2 vehicles to pass through and put bollards up along the edge of the widened footpaths. No one will be able to park along the main street then.

This was the plan back in the mid 90s and it was shot down by the local businesses! Total agree it is the only answer.

Will be interestin to see if the old traffic warden will make an appearence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Why has the road across from priests house been made a one way?
    Seems to have caused more problems than it solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Why has the road across from priests house been made a one way?
    Seems to have caused more problems than it solved.

Agree, total absolute disaster. This road used to take some of the spill of the maree road out by lidl to clarinbridge. there piping everyone through the village, but what are people doing at the end of the junction, turning back as they used anyway. Its Crazy, and has backed the traffic up the maree road not far from oranhill in peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The lack of enforcement of the new lines is a joke. The village would be fine to drive though for the most part if no one parked along the stretch in front of giovani's & also in front of the thatch to get to the bank, lazy f***ers.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The lack of enforcement of the new lines is a joke. The village would be fine to drive though for the most part if no one parked along the stretch in front of giovani's & also in front of the thatch to get to the bank, lazy f***ers.

aye but the main blockage in the morning is not linked to this, as bother are closed. But this needs to be addressed CLAMPS!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

NTC wrote: »

Whats wrong with all the underground carparks that Oranmore has?

1 Supervalu
    2 Tesco
    3 Under Bella Baby
    4 Under Bank of Ireland / Amphibian King
    5 Under Encore (I think there's two separate car parks here)
    6 Under Lidl

Would be far easier to make traffic one way through the village from the Coast Rd through to the Limerick Road and circulate everyone via the bypass.

I'm surprised the Gardai haven't been down doling out tickets. 1 hour ticket writing and people will learn quick enough. No use clamping as that leaves the blockage there for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

heard people who have parked under the bank that there is no other exit for us to walk out from other than the way car came in. bit dangerous. i park at the chemist any time i go to oran, nothing better than a nice walk to where i want to go.

There are a couple of stair wells in the carpark which bring people up into the courtyard behind the bank / Pearla Na Mara. There's no need to be walking up and down the ramp.

I have noticed recently that people are parking on the ramp which causes a major hazard for people driving in or out of the carpark as half the ramp is blocked.

and have ye noticed the lovely yellow double lines out side bank and round the corner for people to park cars on,:rolleyes: (i no they are there age,s ) but what the hell .if they were getting tickets on the window it would be a ghost town.

I reckon the drivers are cuter than you'd think. Parking with two wheels on the footpath over the double yellow technically means you're not on the yellow lines, doesn't it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It does in its arse.. Once your stopped on a clearway, yellow lines or yellow box junction you are on the road. .. No point in clamping as cars will be stuck there for a couple of hours. Cops should just send the tickets in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SuePal

Driving through Oranmore town centre is a nightmare most of the time but it did teach me one thing - I know exactly how wide my car is and what gap I can fit through! Thanks to navigating the narrow stretch between cars parked on both side when a car is also coming from the other direction on many occasions!

Don't think they will ever fix it until such time as they issue parking tickets or people are suddenly willing to walk more than 5 yards to their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

The council are extending the astroturf car park but that's only like 25 spaces, they plan to buy land behind giovannis and put in a council car park. The ramada is the best car park, it's free and its right in the middle of the village. They could sort out illegal parking really cheaply, by installing flexi bollards like the ones outside eye cinema on the main road, they are so cheap. you could put them on the foot paths and the middle of the road, narrowing the lane but at the same time emergency vehicles can drive over them and they pop back up.

Flexible-Bollards.jpghttp://www.bollards.ca/resources/Flexible-Bollards
    road-markers-bollards3.png

All the carparks are free, no one uses them! There's no need to put more surface parking in Oranmore, and the council can put the money to better use.

They need a warden or Garda to walk the street for a couple of day each week and that would be the end of it.

All the carparks are free, no one uses them! There's no need to put more surface parking in Oranmore, and the council can put the money to better use.

They need a warden or Garda to walk the street for a couple of day each week and that would be the end of it.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25353-calls-council-reverse-oranmore-one-way

last friday i had to be in oran early and guess what there were no cars blocking me anywhere or doulbled parked it was so weird to see it like that. there is a big carpark at the back of oranmore chemist /bella baby. even an underground one that no one uses..people are just to lazy to walk, they rather cause mahem park illegal outside the chip shop...

Was driving through the village tonight & noticed something strange, the pedestrian crossing at the astroturf car park randomly turned red even though no one was around. Is this a fault i wonder or are they set to do this? Felt like i right waste of time to stop...wonder are there cameras set up to automatically catch anyone should they drive through?

When I was in Germany years ago, some villages had traffic lights that would go red if mtorists tried to speed through the village. If you stayed under the speed limit the lights stayed green. If this technology has finally reached this country it would be a truly welcome development. Unfortunately I suspect not - it would be out of character.

When I was in Germany years ago, some villages had traffic lights that would go red if mtorists tried to speed through the village. If you stayed under the speed limit the lights stayed green. If this technology has finally reached this country it would be a truly welcome development. Unfortunately I suspect not - it would be out of character.

It would indeed, both for the lights & for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

There are a couple of stair wells in the carpark which bring people up into the courtyard behind the bank / Pearla Na Mara. There's no need to be walking up and down the ramp.

I have noticed recently that people are parking on the ramp which causes a major hazard for people driving in or out of the carpark as half the ramp is blocked.

I got locked into the courtyard/ building once where the underground car park for Pearl na mara is (trauma:eek:) so I'm afraid I'm one of the offenders who walks up the ramp now!!. It had so many empty units, there was no way out.

One way systems and all that seem an awful lot of trouble when the simple solution is a traffic warden once every two weeks to ticket cars. The double yellow lines have been there for years. They've been ignored and heaps of people and many of the locals (including my Mum) have been writing to the County council for parking restrictions to simply be inforced.

Ireland has heaps of laws..... just no inforcement:(

Advertisement