Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling the pinch

Options
  • 10-03-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey guys how is everyone doing with there horse's in the current climate.. Im finding things hard at the mo to keep hold of my mare on 100 awk full livery its a big drain on my wages:( Im just wondering how everyone else is getting on & what your doing to save a few pennys just so you can keep the dream alive???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I have my mare on DIY, 5 min drive, 20 min cycle. I save money that way, a bag of shavings last me 2 weeks - 7euro a bag, I get her feed off a very nice man who sells me 2 bags (low 14% and barley) for 10euro, that does her 6/7 weeks. possible talk around and see if anyone will do you a deal?

She doesn't wear shoes, 25euro barefoot shod every 2 months. She is not due vaccination/dentist for another 6 months, I'm already putting a 10r away a week for 'just in case'. (Chiro costs me 50, vet 70, dentist around 60-80)

As far as getting her new tack, I tend to buy and sell second hand/online.
    Got a brand new dressage girth for 17 euro off ebay, cavesson for 7euro! Had a girth that was too big, swapped for a smaller one of someone I know.

Did a direct swap for my hand made GP saddle for a berneys close contact GP.

Little things like that can help. Do you own sewing, mend your own rugs, do a rug/numnah/bandage wash etc.

Advertisement