Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plugging plastic lined holes in 9" concrete wall

• 10-03-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for suggestions on what's the best way to plug holes in the concrete wall of the shed. Most are fine but I've noticed a few in the creep area low down which create a draft around the calves. The holes have a plastic lining and are 1/2" diameter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

fill it with chemical anchor. get it in silicon tube with mixer nozzle. most hardwares should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

1chippy wrote: »
    fill it with chemical anchor. get it in silicon tube with mixer nozzle. most hardwares should have it.

Would that not be expensive?
    What about cheapest silicone you can find, as it's only to stop a draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Have a look for flupp plugs, any shuttering crew will have plenty,band just tap into the hole, saves on silicone, though if it is above ground and only for draughts proof, then some dry ish sand and cement would probably be a quick fix.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Expanding foam..Spray into the hole and just trim away the excess when it sets.

Great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Mortar/ sand cement mix. I'd be concerned this would lossen over time because it mightn't bond that well with the plastic. The expanding foam may be just the trick. Quick and easy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

just do it wrote: »
    Mortar/ sand cement mix. I'd be concerned this would lossen over time because it mightn't bond that well with the plastic. The expanding foam may be just the trick. Quick and easy!!

Expanding foam did it for me! Good to see you being so careful of the draught with the calves, all-important!
    Of course, then I worried that they would lick/eat the set foam:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

ive a dairy washings tank and there is a leak 3/4 way up..i reckon its coming out one of them holes.. will expanding foam work for this??..

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

We used cheap silicon. Done the job fine, no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

oooge1 wrote: »
    ive a dairy washings tank and there is a leak 3/4 way up..i reckon its coming out one of them holes.. will expanding foam work for this??..

There is no guarantee that expanding foam will work.There is a proper sealing resin that you can get to fill this or to repair a crack. It will set stronger than concrete. You should be able to get it in your local hardware.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Picture of hole, exciting eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

just do it wrote: »
    Picture of hole, exciting eh?!

Yep..
    That's definitely a hole..

Exciting?.... No :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

definitely a hole...how many of them are there?

Foam or a plug of timeber.

Foam would be the quickest, sets in minutes,, only a tiny squirt needed. Once you start do as many as you can and use it all up as it 'sets' in the straw tube. So do as many can.
    bbam wrote: »
    Yep..
    That's definitely a hole..

Exciting?.... No :o

Advertisement