Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino's large pizza collected for €17

Options
  • 10-03-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Does anyone else find take away pizza prices a bit mad? Yesterday I collected a large pizza from Dominos and was charged €17. There were a few bits of pepperoni on top and the sum total of one sliced mushroom.

I recall paying €13 in Celtic Tiger days for a large pizza collected.

I have checked out pizza huts prices nearby and they are as bad.

As an aside the price on the menu was €16.99 and this was the price quoted to me on the phone. My 10 year old went in to collect the pizza and was charged €17. When he queried this he was told the price was €17!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

You were charged 1c more than the price you were quoted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

It's more an issue of false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

For 3 quid more you could have got 2 of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Pacifico wrote: »
    You were charged 1c more than the price you were quoted?

I taught the person who had to pay 20 cent more was the biggest rip off of all time but clearly i was wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Buy an Aldi Pizza for 1.50 EUR and cook it at home. Only a fool would pay 17 EUR for a pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

What Dominoes do you go to?!
    Its 9.99 for a large here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

€17 is about right with no offers, you just need to go by the best deals/use vouchers to get it cheaper.

btw, I've also seen it a few times with the €9.99 or similar people being charged €10. Sounds like the staff are skimming the pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

yoda2001 wrote: »
    It's more an issue of false advertising.

It's not false advertising,
    listed prices aren't a binding contract the're an ''invitation to treat''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Any pizza, any size from apache is 10 euro OP. don't blame dominos for charging it if you're silly enough to pay it

Skopzz wrote: »
    Buy an Aldi Pizza for 1.50 EUR and cook it at home. Only a fool would pay 17 EUR for a pizza.

I agree totally and have paid my last visit to Dominos in Laurel Lodge.

• Advertisement

milehip1 wrote: »
    It's not false advertising,
    listed prices aren't a binding contract the're an ''invitation to treat''

Let's go with "false invitation to treat" then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

plus Domino's pizza's are smaller than everybody elses

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

17 quid for what is essentially toast with melted cheese and tomato on it.

Just get one in the supermarket or make one yourself.

Understand splashing out for a good Chinese or Indian feed, but pizza...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

They are all ****e doughy pizzas. If your in D15 op, try the gourmet pizza company near superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Just by comparison, in the UK Dominos have a collection deal that's been running for months - Any pizza, any size, £6.99.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

In fairness to Domino's they do a large pizza 4 toppings takeout in Galway, cant beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Dominos pizza's are horrible anyway. Soggy and doughy.

Nothing like a home-made pizza. Absolutely delish.

Ingredients cost around €10 and you could get a good few pizza's out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

All the Pizza joints are a rip off. You can build your Pizza for far less as mentioned by previous poster. E,G, a bag of mozerella is 1:50 in Lidl most of the ingredients are hanging around in the kitchen anyway . When you make your own you'll never go back to the bought ones. Same rules apply to every kind of fast food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

bogof wrote: »
    When you make your own you'll never go back to the bought ones. Same rules apply to every kind of fast food.

Maybe for you but not for me. I've made home made pizza before and it was lovely but for watching the footy nothing beats a take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€17 is about right with no offers, you just need to go by the best deals/use vouchers to get it cheaper..
    +1
    1/2 price for pizza IS the normal price, I find it amazing that so many people fall for this half price marketing crap.

When the chippers have their genuine half price day the last few years there were queues down the streets outside most chippers.

When did you last get a voucher in the door for half price Chinese takeaway? I come home to at least 2 half price pizza offers each day.
    yoda2001 wrote: »
    Yesterday I collected a large pizza from Dominos and was charged €17. There were a few bits of pepperoni on top and the sum total of one sliced mushroom.
    In my favourite local chipper for €18 they do a 'jumbo box' which is 4 full chips & 10 bits of southern fried chicken -2 southern fried breasts and 8 other wings/thighs/drumsticks. That is just €1 more than that pizza! and it is not highlighted as being an offer or anything. If my chipper was to make the pizza on the same profit margins as that chicken box then the €17 pizza would be under €4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Prices are different depending on your location too, South Side is more expensive, but I guess they charge what the market can bear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i often buy a couple tesco own brand pizzas, some garlic bread, some drinks a ball of mozzella, and a couple of toppings, to make the pizza look and taste better than your average frozen one.

I spend a tenner or so, and feed the family.

i know there's a small bit of prep work, and a little cleaning up to do, but its a happy medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I thought nobody got anything in Dominos unless it was a meal deal or special offer...

€20 for a large pizza, wedges, garlic bread, 2 cans and a few cartons of dip is usually what I go for. If you are feeding more people it gets cheaper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

gpf101 wrote: »
    I thought nobody got anything in Dominos unless it was a meal deal or special offer...

€20 for a large pizza, wedges, garlic bread, 2 cans and a few cartons of dip is usually what I go for. If you are feeding more people it gets cheaper...

This is still crazy expensive! Pizza is supposed to be cheap. The Dominos across the street from me in NZ does large pepperoni pizzas for collection at NZD$5.90 - approx €3.60 each. Fancy ones like Meatlovers etc are 7.90 (approx €4.80)

Huge dollar slices are all the rage in Canada too, this is how american style pizza became popular. This seems to have bypassed the Irish public. A genuine ripoff, rare for this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Aldi have 3 frozen Margherita pizzas for about €2.50, add to that some mozzerella and pack of ham slices to chop up and a few tomatoes and you have enough lovely pizzas to feed a small army.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Aldi have 3 frozen Margherita pizzas for about €2.50, add to that some mozzerella and pack of ham slices to chop up and a few tomatoes and you have enough lovely pizzas to feed a small army.

Frozen pizza is ****e in comparison tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Did anyone try the pizzas from marks and spencers, they are about 5 or 6 euros and taste good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Pizzas that are made now in dunnes stores are great too, they are like the ones that were in Tescos years ago and are based on weight. A large pizza costs about 5.50 when we got it but worth every penny. Good for breakfast too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some people obviously like spending with them, but not me, I hate pizzas of any description.:pac:
    Domino's Pizza reports higher sales in Ireland

SALES AT pizza delivery firm Domino's Pizza UK & IRL rose in the first quarter sales, helped by a recovery in Ireland.

The company said it was sticking with plans to open 72 new stores in 2012, including 12 in Germany.
    Domino's, which operates the British and Irish franchises of the global delivery brand, said like-for-like sales at the group's 660 established stores rose 3.5 per cent in the 13 weeks to March 25th

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0329/1224314047322.html

Advertisement