Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crop rotation problem

Options
  • 10-03-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I planted cabbage,then potatoes. What's best thing to do now? Can I plant another brassica or peas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

keep away from braccias for another 3 years. peas/carrots/onions/beet corn/lettuce etc are different family so should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

I was reading about the four year rule.i going to try that. I hear potatoes are problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Legumes, Basilicas, Alums, Roots, and spuds.
    Legumes are the beans and peas, they add nitrogen to soil.
    Basilicas are cabbage and sprouts
    Alum's, onions, leeks etc
    Roots, carrots and parsnips.
    People Like Bunches Of Roses, makes it easy to remember the rotation, Potatoes,Legumes,Basilicas,Onions,Roots.
    Spuds are a problem as you plant a bigger area of them so using the space for one crop is mad, you end up with tons of cabbage. Of course you might just grow a few spuds to have a taste kinda thing, then its no problem.
    Good information in this thread over at Irish Gardeners.com.
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1161.html

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

i was growing potatoes and cabbage vice versa for the last two years. will i try legumme or roots this year?

Advertisement