Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram upgrade - causing STOP errors

Options
  • 10-03-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

I'm after upgrading an old dell dimension 1100. I installed 2GB of ram, but got a number of blue screen errors, mostly 08e errors. sometimes they might appear after 5 minute, sometimes after an hour. I put back the old 256mb ram, is fine now. I checked for virus, used ccleaner to clean up registry and upgraded to XP sp3. I'm wondering if I would need to update the BIOS or the motherboard drivers, seeming that its such an old PC (2005) if anyone has an suggestions of things to try first, I'm all ears. I got a dump file of the errors, which I can post if that helps

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Put the new RAM in one stick at a time and run memtest. If it throws up errors then its a faulty stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

deconduo wrote: »
    Put the new RAM in one stick at a time and run memtest. If it throws up errors then its a faulty stick.

I tried running memtest from a CD, but didn't run for me. I did try just having one of the sticks in at the same time also. will give memtest another go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

deconduo wrote: »

running memtest now, will report back

Advertisement