Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic what's the best way to remove virus's

Options
  • 10-03-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi i want to find out how to remove virus's ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Read through these threads.

Edit: You have a thread there.

What exactly do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

I just want to find out the best way to remove all types of virus's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

-Backup your data (don't forget data inside programs like e-mail, calendar, favorite sites, savegames, desktop, app data etc)
    -Backup your network driver and internet settings
    -Format your computer
    -Partition your hard drive like so...
    -C: First 40GB
    -D: all remaining space
    -Reinstall Windows
    -Reinstall Drivers
    -Reinstall Office
    -Reinstall common apps (use ninite.com installer to save some time here)
    -Reinstall other apps (exclude apps that want to install crap on your machine and toolbars in your browser)
    -Install Firefox and use the 'adblock plus' plugin in 'add-ons'
    -Configure control panel to your preferences.
    -Apply all updates and patches from Windows Update (several reboots needed)
    -Put your data on the D: Drive, independent of your programs.
    -Most importantly: Before you start using your PC: Make an image of your new perfect C: drive using a partition imaging tool on a boot CD, like ghost or partimage, and store the image file(s) on the D: drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm pretty sure he's just trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's just trolling...

The OP or spacedog??

Because 40GB is NOT enough for an OS drive!

• Advertisement

God no, the OP.

/off-topic: 40GB is plenty for an OS drive. Up until last week, for two years I'd been using a 32GB SSD as my boot drive, and I still has 5GB free.

God no, the OP.

/off-topic: 40GB is plenty for an OS drive. Up until last week, for two years I'd been using a 32GB SSD as my boot drive, and I still has 5GB free.

You're obviously not loading your drivers etc in there then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The OP or spacedog??

Because 40GB is NOT enough for an OS drive!

I've got Windows 7 on my 28GB SSD, and it has 10GB free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

deconduo wrote: »

so does that mean buying a 120 gb ssd for your os is overkill?

I take it with no drivers or swap file on the same drive? Actually 18GB for a full Win 7 install seems suspiciously small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

war2k10 wrote: »
    I just want to find out the best way to remove all types of virus's

Fire.

OS, drivers (and driver-related applications), media players, broswers, and any game files that happened to be dumped in My Documents. Plenty of space for all that.

I take it with no drivers or swap file on the same drive? Actually 18GB for a full Win 7 install seems suspiciously small.

No swap or hibernation, all the drivers and everything else though. Also Firefox, Rainmeter, Notepad++, GIMP, and a couple of other apps.

OS, drivers (and driver-related applications), media players, broswers, and any game files that happened to be dumped in My Documents. Plenty of space for all that.
    No swap or hibernation, all the drivers and everything else though. Also Firefox, Rainmeter, Notepad++, GIMP, and a couple of other apps.

What version of 7?

What version of 7?

64-bit Pro

Ultimate 64. As deconduo said though, I've my pagefile, system restore, and hibernation disabled. I probably saved about 15GB doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

40GB is plenty for an OS and swap file, and small enough to make several image backups, move program files and users folders to point to D: drive

that said I wrote this guide a while back and people have more storage space. I'm sure even dublin gunner can't fit his entire steam directory on a single SSD?

the point is the method is a little time consuming at the start, but it's a small price to pay for the time saved and the ability to control a perfect clean OS at all times.

Spacedog wrote: »
    40GB is plenty for an OS and swap file, and small enough to make several image backups, move program files and users folders to point to D: drive

that said I wrote this guide a while back and people have more storage space. I'm sure even dublin gunner can't fit his entire steam directory on a single SSD?

the point is the method is a little time consuming at the start, but it's a small price to pay for the time saved and the ability to control a perfect clean OS at all times.

I've said 60GB myself for win 7 x64 - purely based on my own experience, and nothing scientific about it at all.

This would have included space for swap files, system restore, drivers, probably a load of crap that saves itself to user files and folders etc as well, and not being too careful where certain files etc were going.

For instance - my users and program files take up 25.5GB - out of a total of 70GB used space on my OS drive, so there's definitely at least 25.5GB of space I could avoid using on my OS drive.

Obviously I, and anyeone that knows what they're doing can keep it a lot leaner, but in general I've told average users 60GB minimum - you guys think that's reasonable?

Advertisement