Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router

Options
  • 10-03-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I am looking to replace my BF's router as it's fairly basic so the internet only works in about 2 rooms in the house. It's an old house so the walls are thick. Can anyone recommend me a router that will send out good strong signal all around the house?

It's a thomson router for IFA telecom internet. Will any router work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A new router will most likely have the same range as the one you got. There is no such thing as a more powerful router and any that say they are are just using "go faster stripes". You canny change the laws of physics Captain!!!!

For best coverage you'd need to move the router to a more central location or cable to and add another wifi device to cover the uncovered areas (on a channel well away from the existing wifi). You may also be experiencing some interference from other wifi devices, try logging in and changing channel to see if the coverage improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Hi this router dates back to 2008 so surely there must be more powerful routers since then??? I tried logging in to the system but it won't let me. I have the password and username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

notsobusy wrote: »
    Hi this router dates back to 2008 so surely there must be more powerful routers since then??? I tried logging in to the system but it won't let me. I have the password and username.

No, like I said, there is no more powerful router, obstacles or interference are most likely the problem. You said your house has think walls.

What make is the router? I'll be able to tell you the default username and password if it was never changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Fair enough! It's a Thomson 585. I tried the username and password that came with it and it won't log on.

Also do routers not have different ranges? Like N range and G range? I think this router is only G range.

Would a repeater be any use? It's seems to be only one thick wall that's causing the trouble, If I get a longer telephone cable I think that might work aswell, will try that first as the cheaper option.

Advertisement