Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal WiFi range extender

Options
  • 11-03-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

• I have UPC 25mb using a Cisco EPC2425 router which is located in sitting room.
    • I have little or no signal in the attic room.
    • I obviously want to increase the signal strength upstairs and was thinking of THIS , would it work?
    • I also have a Cat5 running from router to 1st floor bedroom (Currently connected to son's xbox)
    • Is there an AP/Extender that I can plug the cable into to boost signal upstairs, but still has an RJ45 output for Xbox?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• I have UPC 25mb using a Cisco EPC2425 router which is located in sitting room.
    • I have little or no signal in the attic room.
    • I obviously want to increase the signal strength upstairs and was thinking of THIS , would it work?
    • I also have a Cat5 running from router to 1st floor bedroom (Currently connected to son's xbox)
    • Is there an AP/Extender that I can plug the cable into to boost signal upstairs, but still has an RJ45 output for Xbox?

Thanks in advance

You need an access point, not a range extender. A range extender connects by wifi too your original router, but they half the throughout of the network. Wifi is half duplex, it will only talk in one direction at a time. You would end up with a really show network

Better than the repeater is to connect an access point to the cat 5 cable you already have. It will connect by ethernet so will not affect the original wifi network. Make sure its set on a channel well away from the existing router.
    Because you need an access point and a switch to share to the xbox, its prob best to get a router with an inbuilt 4 port switch, then stop it routing, disable dhcp, upnp and the firewall and tape over the wan port

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You need an access point, not a range extender. A range extender connects by wifi too your original router, but they half the throughout of the network. Wifi is half duplex, it will only talk in one direction at a time. You would end up with a really show network

Better than the repeater is to connect an access point to the cat 5 cable you already have. It will connect by ethernet so will not affect the original wifi network. Make sure its set on a channel well away from the existing router.
    Because you need an access point and a switch to share to the xbox, its prob best to get a router with an inbuilt 4 port switch, then stop it routing, disable dhcp, upnp and the firewall and tape over the wan port

Thanks for quick response.
    I have a few spare routers (Netopia & BT Voyager 2110), would these work as you suggest or what would?
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, they would work fine. Make sure you turn off what I listed. You can set the wireless ssid and password to the same as the existing wifi and your devices will roam. Very important you use a channel well away from the one already being used. 1, 6 and 11 are the 3 non overlapping channels.

Thanks again for you help
    I have a Motorola Netopia 2247-62 and a BT Voyager 2110
    Do you have any advice/tips on doing this, I am a complete Noob with this
    Thanks

Update: Got this working with the BT Voyager 2110 Router.
    Big thanks to PogMoThoin
    Cheers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 chirodoody

Just saw this thread and it seems to answer the question i have about extending my wi-fi to back of house.
    I have Wimax 4G 7mG and looking to use xbox/smartphones etc as well as PC on the wireless network.
    I've tried using universal extender but doesnt really help.
    Would another router be a better idea (used as an access point coser to the back of the house)?
    Would i need to connect this with a CAT5 cable or can i do it wirelessly?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement