Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Help!!

Options
  • 11-03-2012 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

I need some advice or help, arrived last thursday in Melbourne, staying out in St. Kilda. Brilliant place and meeting lovely people, but everyone moves on pretty quick. Anyway im booked into my hostel until friday, cant get any extra days in any hostel as the Melbourne grand prix is on next weekend.

Just wondering does anyone know of any hostel that will want people to work there for free in exchange for a bed? or after that my only option is to get out here and find some fruit picking work. Thinking of heading to byron bay direction for it, but trying to figure the best way of going about all this.

Any help would be much apprectiated thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Are you saying you can not afford to pay for a hostel? Or you just can not get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 emcollin

cant get one, melbourne grand prix this weekend EVERYWHERE booked up bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Try the station hotel in Paran ( spelling)
    Its just of chapel st so just a few mins up the road on the tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

try urban central or nomads or flinders street hotel.

if all those fail could you not stay with a friend?

if that fails ya can stay in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

dave3004 wrote: »

if that fails ya can stay in mine.

Got to love this board! Fair play to you Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Would it not be better to just get out of Melbourne for the weekend?

I had a similar experience 10 years ago while travelling around Oz, we booked a hostel in advance knowing it was GP week, when we got there, there was some confussion over rooms (me & the bird so we always booked a double) so we agreed to change rooms during the course of the week. Of course when we came to change rooms, our booking had mysteriously disappeared, which would have left us in an identical position to emcollin, but I stood my ground & after some heated words a new room was found for us.... but I was thinking, "we've been in Oz for 2 months, have 2 weeks left & not much money and now I'm going to have to find somewhere to stay on GP weekend" :eek: I know how booked up it gets, so I don't envy you.

hey thanks all for getting back to me, I have literally tried all hostels and no cancelations yet. I was hoping just to get out of here but im still waiting on a bank card to come through so have to stick around unfortunately. not too worried yet (its amazing how relaxed ive become), now looking into a house share for a week but dont know if that will work. I dont have any friends here so staying in a mates isnt an option!

Dave thats so sound of you, if i get stuck ill let you know. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

If your pure stuck your welcome at mine, were in morrabbin now - 35 min from flindes, 10 min dander to the train, but if ur stuck, u can stay here :)

Best of Irish!

number is 0420438581

Your welcoe as long as u dont go mad, lol, i'm fk'd clean outta my coupon the night tbf, but aye, been in situations were wasn't sure of me roof myself locka months back, so throw it out ther.

I'm fkn hammered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

elliott550 wrote: »
    If your pure stuck your welcome at mine, were in morrabbin now - 35 min from flindes, 10 min dander to the train, but if ur stuck, u can stay here :)

Best of Irish!

number is 0420438581

Your welcoe as long as u dont go mad, lol, i'm fk'd clean outta my coupon the night tbf, but aye, been in situations were wasn't sure of me roof myself locka months back, so throw it out ther.
    I'm fkn hammered

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Ahh come on now, sure the WHV is mostly a bit of fun, and if u havn't been stuck homeless for a night or whatever well sure you've hardly lived!
    Ive thrown that out there cos im on the move an have a spare room. Not a problem, tho things change that quick over here..

Sure no need for an auld frown, u felt the heat - powerful - great days bitches! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

elliott550 wrote: »
    Ahh come on now, sure the WHV is mostly a bit of fun, and if u havn't been stuck homeless for a night or whatever well sure you've hardly lived!
    Ive thrown that out there cos im on the move an have a spare room. Not a problem, tho things change that quick over here..

Sure no need for an auld frown, u felt the heat - powerful - great days bitches! :)

Haha, no the confused look is because your post makes no sense at all. You must have gone mad on the sherries! :D

hey god everyone is being so nice, thanks so much for the offers, managed to get a cancelation so only have to move rooms!

Next step is figuring out how to get to byron bay next week, thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it!

Advertisement