Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival Horror - PS3

Options
  • 11-03-2012 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any decent Survival Horror for the PS3. I don't mean Dead Space or anything on those lines. Looking for something along the lines of Silent Hill 1-3, Siren Blood Curse, Project Zero.

Cheers ;)

SteoL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Siren blood curse is good if you can look passed the bad controls , Deadly premonition is being remastered also for ps3 this year aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

whats wrong with dead space? its the only horror survival game left out there. and its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya dead space is great. I never played deadly premonition, must have a look since it will be out for ps3 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watch out for deadly premonition; it got slaughtered in the reviews but has a cult following. I have it on the 360 and it's one of the worst games I've ever played. I'm sure some love terrible dialogue and broken controls but it did my head in and my mates.

I was gonna mention siren blood curse! Are there any fatal frame games on the ps3? Stretching it but FEAR games?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Watch out for deadly premonition; it got slaughtered in the reviews but has a cult following. I have it on the 360 and it's one of the worst games I've ever played. I'm sure some love terrible dialogue and broken controls but it did my head in and my mates.

I was gonna mention siren blood curse! Are there any fatal frame games on the ps3? Stretching it but FEAR games?

no fatal frame games that im aware of, fear i thought was crap :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

whats wrong with dead space? its the only horror survival game left out there. and its good.

Nothing wrong with Dead Space, played it and enjoyed it. Not Played the second one yet though, is it worth hecking out? The reason I said I wasn't looking for games like dead space is it felt more lIke a shoot em up than full on psychological horror.

Fatal frame (project zero) hasn't had a PS3 release yet, think the last installment was for the wii only.

Thanks to all who replied, I will look out for that Deadly Premonition you mention is gettin remastered.

FEAR 1 and 2 were ok though not what I'm looking for. I have the third one here but not got round to playing it yet.

condemned 2 is quite good aswell , ya can pick it up cheap im sure these days aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Not really a shoot em up but Condemned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

SteoL wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any decent Survival Horror for the PS3. I don't mean Dead Space or anything on those lines. Looking for something along the lines of Silent Hill 1-3, Siren Blood Curse, Project Zero.

Cheers ;)

SteoL

I know this isn't on the PS3 but it sounds like you're looking for the more atmosphere style horror game so if you have by any chance got a half decent PC lying around you should defo try out Amnesia the dark decent. It is not a resource heavy game so a PC with any sort of graphics card should play it.

It's the definition of survival horror, leaving aside action for atmosphere in abundance. Apologies if you don't have a PC to play it on but I thought it's worth mentioning on the off chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever you do, do not listen to the Deadly Premonition haters. It's one of the best game released this generation. It has its problems like the admittedly god awful combat but just stick the game on easy and enjoy the rest of the game.

As for the dialogue being awful, nothing could be further from the truth. It's one of the best written games in a long time. The dialogue seems stilted and awkward and the delivery by the actors seems that way but it's meant to be like that, its trying to ape the style of Twin Peaks which had the same stilted and awkward dialogue. Taken in the context of the game it's actually one of the best stories written for a game with some fantastic characterisation and some of the best acting in a videogame. It's also got one of the most satisfying endings to a game, it seems strange and nothing makes sense but the ending ties everything up beautifully.

So the combat is terrible and it looks like a PS2 game but I'd say give it a chance, myself and a hell of a lot of other people love it. It's a great experience. The only noteworthy games site that gave the game an awful review was IGN and IGN are terrible. Every other site gave it a great or decent review, praising the story but rightfully mark down the bad bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do not listen to the Deadly Premonition haters. It's one of the best game released this generation. It has its problems like the admittedly god awful combat but just stick the game on easy and enjoy the rest of the game.

HAHA :D nice one retro. Its anything but a good GAME... maybe it does have great writing (Its wierd/strange... so very much a niche story to begin with). But its horrible gameplay and dated graphics really stops it from being anything close to one of the best games released this generation.

I would say that its probably worth a buy if its cheap, seems to be a bit marmite so worth the 'risk'.

Come to think of it... ive not really played many survival horror games this generation. I'll have to give that Amnesia a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    HAHA :D nice one retro. Its anything but a good GAME... maybe it does have great writing (Its wierd/strange... so very much a niche story to begin with). But its horrible gameplay and dated graphics really stops it from being anything close to one of the best games released this generation.

I would say that its probably worth a buy if its cheap, seems to be a bit marmite so worth the 'risk'.

Well it has a heap of problems but at the end of the day it was for me one of the best gaming experiences I've had this generation. If you can look past the flaws then it's an absolute gem. If you play it expecting Resi 4 you'll be disappointed, the action sections are god awful. However it's not an action games, it's more of an adventure game were interacting with characters, exploring the setting and getting involved in the story are the most important parts of the game and its here that the game excels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well it has a heap of problems but at the end of the day it was for me one of the best gaming experiences I've had this generation. If you can look past the flaws then it's an absolute gem. If you play it expecting Resi 4 you'll be disappointed, the action sections are god awful. However it's not an action games, it's more of an adventure game were interacting with characters, exploring the setting and getting involved in the story are the most important parts of the game and its here that the game excels.

I did manage to finish it in fairness, which is more than i can say about a lot of games. Besides the obvious flaws.. i thought it was ok (I like a good story as much as anyone, just not overly wierd characters etc) and i can see why some people love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

condemned 2 is quite good aswell , ya can pick it up cheap im sure these days aswell
    *shivers* that last level was so silly still bugs me, essentially killed the series for me, as Condemned 1 was fantastic

Big Knox wrote: »
    SteoL wrote: »

Cheers ;)

SteoL

I know this isn't on the PS3 but it sounds like you're looking for the more atmosphere style horror game so if you have by any chance got a half decent PC lying around you should defo try out Amnesia the dark decent. It is not a resource heavy game so a PC with any sort of graphics card should play it.

It's the definition of survival horror, leaving aside action for atmosphere in abundance. Apologies if you don't have a PC to play it on but I thought it's worth mentioning on the off chance.

Nice one, thanks for that. I have a modern enough laptop so should be able to play it. Do I need to buy a graphics card or can I just buy the game and play it immediately.

Thanks again :)

As for the dialogue being awful, nothing could be further from the truth. It's one of the best written games in a long time. The dialogue seems stilted and awkward and the delivery by the actors seems that way but it's meant to be like that, its trying to ape the style of Twin Peaks which had the same stilted and awkward dialogue. Taken in the context of the game it's actually one of the best stories written for a game with some fantastic characterisation and some of the best acting in a videogame. It's also got one of the most satisfying endings to a game, it seems strange and nothing makes sense but the ending ties everything up beautifully.

So the combat is terrible and it looks like a PS2 game but I'd say give it a chance, myself and a hell of a lot of other people love it. It's a great experience. The only noteworthy games site that gave the game an awful review was IGN and IGN are terrible. Every other site gave it a great or decent review, praising the story but rightfully mark down the bad bits.

Have that noted and will try pick up as a rental when it gets released. Thanks.

Condemned 1 and 2 were classics alright :)

Advertisement