Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immigrants in Ireland

• 11-03-2012 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

What sorts of immigrants are there in Ireland?

It's because here in 'Merica, it's easy to have an idea of who immigrates: Latinos (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, etc), Africans (Eritreans, Ethiopians, etc), Middle Eastern people (there's a lot of Persians here in LA), etc...

I know that there were bunches and bunches of Irish families coming to America after the Famine (U.S. History knowledge finally being used :D).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

All sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Okay, I should have been more specific:

What's the largest immigrant group in Ireland?

Considerable numbers of British and Polish citizens. But they could be regarded as free movers rather than immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I imagine eastern europeans? There is a lot of them, or so I notice. I dont have anything against them though. Great bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Probably Polish or Eastern European if you want to include a few other scattered countries but their economy is better than ours now. Second I would say Nigerian. There was a noticeable amount of Romanians for a while but I don't know where they're gone. Of course there's the Chinese but they've been immigrating here for decades so they hardly count.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

There's not enough sexy asian ladies for my liking to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

crfcaio wrote: »

Polish by far, very cold and sour lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

There's only one type of Immigrants

Bloody immigrants (also known as fordiners)

It seems to be a Eastern European trait to be fair. Personally while it's not saying much I find the Polish to be the nicest of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Bears, birds, insects and fishys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

generalisations ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

jd007 wrote: »
    generalisations ftw!

True, I find most immigrants to be very friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I think the largest single group are the British actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Isn't everyone in america bar the natives an immigrant??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dvpower wrote: »
    I think the largest single group are the British actually.

The Brits aren't really immigrants though. We have a common travel zone in Ireland and Britain. I don't think they would see Irish as 'immigrants' in Britain, and I don't really think anyone sees them as immigrants in Ireland.

Largest single group are the Polish lads, which is quite apparent when you see a number of Polish shops around, with polish language signs. It just stands out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hardly see any lunatics in their left hand drives cars speeding around anymore.
    There were some right crazy drivers from Eastern Europe over here

Long gone now, haven't seem them in a number of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Maybe they're not cold. Maybe they just don't like us because we're largely a nation of lazy, greedy, gormless, entitled, unintelligent, jingoistic, racist alcoholics so they choose not to warm too us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Maybe they're not cold. Maybe they just don't like us because we're largely a nation of lazy, greedy, gormless, entitled, unintelligent, jingoistic, racist alcoholics so they choose not to warm too us.

Then they should leave, personally I think the Latvians are very friendly bunch but many EE are very cold.

Oh and I am an immigrant before you get your knickers in a twist.

SWL wrote: »
    Then they should leave

You're familiar with the concept of the EU, right? You have a right to work in a country without having to like the people.
    personally I think the Latvians are very friendly bunch but many EE are very cold.

Oh and I am an immigrant before you get your knickers in a twist.

Oh you're an immigrant! That makes your racist generalisations okay then. Carry on.

You're familiar with the concept of the EU, right? You have a right to work in a country without having to like the people.
    He said they should leave, not that they should be forced to leave.
    Oh you're an immigrant! That makes your racist generalisations okay then. Carry on.
    What were the racist generalisations?

How would you categorise this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Feckin Greeks, takin' our jabs and our wimmins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Brits aren't really immigrants though. We have a common travel zone in Ireland and Britain. I don't think they would see Irish as 'immigrants' in Britain, and I don't really think anyone sees them as immigrants in Ireland.

British people in Ireland are of course foreign migrants.

Irish people in Britain are also foreign migrants and I think that just about everyone in Britain would recognize that, including the Irish migrants.

I know you are a republican and as such want to claim my home country as part of your own, but now you have gone up a level and are trying to claim the rest of the United Kingdom as yours too! ;)

Anyway, research on the topic suggests that both the British and Irish government have imposed controls which have more or less ended the "passport free zone" agreement.

He said they should leave, not that they should be forced to leave.

Why should they leave? They're free to take advantage of our integrated economy as much as they're free to dislike the people that live here should they so chose.
    What were the racist generalisations?
    EE are very cold

I assume he/she wasn't talking about wintertime in Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

dubliners moving to the countryside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

[/COLOR]

I for one am sick to death of this sh1t, Please explain to me how a comment about people from another country being cold or not warming to someone else is racist. There are to many people in this country just waiting to jump on the racist bandwagon if an opinion does not sit well with them regarding non nationals.

• Advertisement

As asked in a prior post, would you not deem this statement to be racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Whatever about the onslaught of generalisations and arguing that this thread will now doubt generate if it manages to survive the day-posting that bloody South Park video every time someone mentions a non Irish citizen should be punishable by extradition-preferably to Siberia.

EE are very cold
    I assume he/she wasn't talking about wintertime in Poland.

That wasn't the quote. It was:
    many EE are very cold.
    which has a certain amount of truth about it particularly among the older generations in post soviet states - there was an understandable culture of not being very open to strangers. I don't see pointing this out as being racist.

You, on the other hand, are a different story. tbh, I can't seriously take lessons on racism from someone who comes out with this bile:
    .. we're largely a nation of lazy, greedy, gormless, entitled, unintelligent, jingoistic, racist alcoholics ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I've been to most countries in Europe and I find the Polish to be the most similar to the Irish people out of anywhere else in Europe.

Similar Religious history
    We like a drink
    Recently occupied by a larger neighbouring country

The only real difference between the Irish and the Polish, apart from the language, is that we came into a few bob for a while and some eejits started to think they were better than everyone else because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

not yet wrote: »
    I for one am sick to death of this sh1t, Please explain to me how a comment about people from another country being cold or not warming to someone else is racist. There are to many people in this country just waiting to jump on the racist bandwagon if an opinion does not sit well with them regarding non nationals.

I'm with you here, it seems we are only allowed to make positive comments about non-nationals or else we are racist. Like there is a thread here on boards about Irish men being the ugliest in the world. Jaysus if I said that about another country I'd be slammed for being a racist. It's gone beyond a joke.

[/COLOR]

Do you understand the dictionary definition of racism, please inform me that English is not your first language so I can make an allowance for your stupidity.

Please highlight what is racist in my statement.

• Advertisement

Looking down your nose and making offensive generalisations about another race, creed, group, nationality, etc. is racist. Claiming that a certain nationality is 'cold' (meaning... frosty personality? unfriendly? hostile? I don't know) is racist.
    racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    • prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief: a program to combat racism

Do you understand the dictionary definition of racism, please inform me that English is not your first language so I can make an allowance for your stupidity.

Please highlight what is racist in my statement.

fooking class response. well done my man.

not yet wrote: »
    fooking class response. well done my man.

Ah yeah, jazis. bleedin deadly bud, w00t lol.

Please see definition of racism above. Imbeciles.

Looking down your nose and making offensive generalisations about another race, creed, group, nationality, etc. is racist. Claiming that a certain nationality is 'cold' (meaning... frosty personality? unfriendly? hostile? I don't know) is racist.
    Are you a racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

bwatson wrote: »
    British people in Ireland are of course foreign migrants.

Irish people in Britain are also foreign migrants and I think that just about everyone in Britain would recognize that, including the Irish migrants.

I know you are a republican and as such want to claim my home country as part of your own, but now you have gone up a level and are trying to claim the rest of the United Kingdom as yours too! ;)

Anyway, research on the topic suggests that both the British and Irish government have imposed controls which have more or less ended the "passport free zone" agreement.

Only you could turn a gesture of goodwill into something negative. I tip my hat to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Foreigners:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They all look the same to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

When did he ever say all members of a race were cold?? Many EE are very cold, so are many Irish! Get a life!

Please see definition of racism above. Imbeciles.

Ohhh you are a clever little man ain't ya BUD

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    When did he ever say all members of a race were cold?? Many EE are very cold, so are many Irish! Get a life!

Better blankets, more hats & scarves, gloves, better jumpers...:D

racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    • prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief: a program to combat racism

These definitions are completely at odds.

Are you a racist?

Obviously, yeah. :rolleyes:

racist

If you're a white man, this is what you are. It doesn't even matter if your wife is black and you have an adopted child from India, or how many black friends you have, somehow you're going to end up being a racist according to how the media portrays the white man as "racist whities".

All of this is funny because the white man is the one that is stereotyped as being racist, which is hypocrisy at its best. It's racist to assume that white men are racists.

If you don't get offended by racial insults, then you're apparently racist too, but an actual racist would get offended by it. When you hear a certain word too much (I'm sure we've all heard "cracka" hundreds of times thanks to standup comedy) then you become desensitized to it.

Well, that and the words white people get called sound stupid or non-offending. "cracker" came from cracking whips. Indiana Jones cracked whips too, and he was a badass. "honkey" sounds like some kind of gigantic sandwich, and "white boy" makes you seem like the lone white kid in breakdance movies that stands out amongst the other races and white kids. Most people only really think of rednecks when they think of "white trash" so they don't get offended by it if they're not rednecks.

Statistics guy: It was found out that the majority of blacks in America listen to hip hop---
    Overzealous guy: WTF YOU RACIST I HAVE A BLACK FRIEND THAT DOESN'T LISTEN TO HIP HOP
    Statistics guy: But I said the majority, meaning not all of th---
    Overzealous guy: YEAH WHATEVER HITLER

I didn’t claim an entire nationality was cold, I said many; as in many Irish people have red hair and freckles which mean that some have and some don’t or do the thought police think is that racist.

I get it. You're not racist but...

Please see definition of racism above. Imbeciles.[/QUO
    Just on a side note...is the statement above not demeaning and racist in it overtone. You are assuming I am a tracksuit wearing, dutch gold drinking, dole collecting scummer.......oh fook wait, that's racist in it's self. my bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement