Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immigrants in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Obviously, yeah. :rolleyes:

I hear your a racist now father...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

not yet wrote: »
    You are assuming I am a tracksuit wearing, dutch gold drinking, dole collecting scummer.......oh fook wait, that racist in it's self. my bad.

Please don't tell me what I'm 'assuming' or put words into my mouth. If you must know, I was just assuming that you're an idiot. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I for one am sick to death of this sh1t, Please explain to me how a comment about people from another country being cold or not warming to someone else is racist.
    Well my dear, imagine I am also sick to death of sh1t that's being shared here by individuals like our miserable expert Jonjo.

Agree, maybe it shouldn't be called "racist", but making statements like this about apparently - according to Jonjo - largest group of foreign nationals (I'm sure our little expert Jonjo provides us with the exact, valid numbers of immigrants in the State...) is just pure and utter crap.

If someone said that all the Irish are alcoholics and red heads hooked on the gear - it's stupid generalisation, same as the one about the Poles.

I've seen many posts by Jonjo pointed directly at the Poles, however at this stage I am pretty sure that he's ignorance does not let him see the difference between any of the countries east from Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Please don't tell me what I'm 'assuming' or put words into my mouth. If you must know, I was just assuming that you're an idiot. Nothing more.

Oh my, you are a pompous little Richard cranium

Oh my, you are a pompous little Richard cranium

I'd rather be that than an ignorant, bigoted idiot. :)

Maybe they're not cold. Maybe they just don't like us because we're largely a nation of lazy, greedy, gormless, entitled, unintelligent, jingoistic, racist alcoholics so they choose not to warm too us.

Bye Bye for now, I'm off to the park to do some of the sh1t above. Hope I see some poles so I can shout racist abuse at them. roll on Tuesday.........ahhhh dole day, the bestest day of the week. (maaa is me tracksuit ready.)

Oh and if you want a reference to bigotry....have a look at your post. cheerio.

Oh and if you want a reference to bigotry....have a look at your post. cheerio.

Cryptic. Enjoy the park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

The "Polish people are dour" viewpoint is such nonsense! Some probably are, but um, so are some Irish people! What with people being different and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Just on a side note...is the statement above not demeaning and racist in it overtone. You are assuming I am a tracksuit wearing, dutch gold drinking, dole collecting scummer.......oh fook wait, that's racist in it's self. my bad.

Is 'scumbag' a race now?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

So are we saying here that only those who are not native english speakers are immigrants? I always get that impression when people speak about foreigners. Did like the 'free movers' comment btw. I happen to be from another country (states) but i find folks here consider the likes of me to be less invasive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

The word y'all are looking for is Xenophobic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Unfortunately, your opinion on the Irish would seem to indicate that you are actually also an ignorant, bigoted idiot. Unless you'd like to clarify how your rancid self-hating vitriol wasn't racist for the class?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

British. Fact. Case closed. Thread closed. Yay. No more racism.

• Advertisement

The word y'all are looking for is Xenophobic.

Xenophobic
    Adverb; 1. Someone who has a fear of foreigners or foreign things.

2. Rad person who goes into the Goth room in Teen Chat and you should totally check them out.

Jane: That foreigner kid is freaky, man.
    Dane: You must be xenophobic, yo!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well no mentioning of Lithuanians so far. Good.

I am Lithuanian and living here 6++ years. I need to get a finger out and finnaly apply for Irish passport.
    Now it's not that it is a must, I can live here with Lithuanian passport as much as I like, but after so many years in here I feel more as an Irish then Lithuanian. In fact I wasn't even back there once in all this time!
    So far from my own experience the biggest foreigners groups are:
    Polish
    Brazilians
    Lithuanian and Latvians ( though it's really a small and shrinking number now )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

dlofnep wrote: »
    Only you could turn a gesture of goodwill into something negative. I tip my hat to you.

All gestures of goodwill are gratefully recieved :) In no way am is it my intent to come across as abrasive or hostile, however it certainly does intrigue me that the moderator of the Republican and Nationalism forum would hold the view that the British and the Irish don't really count as foreign migrants when living and working in each other's country.

I don't necessarily agree with you but its certainly an interesting and thought-provoking viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

micropig wrote: »
    racist

If you're a white man, this is what you are. It doesn't even matter if your wife is black and you have an adopted child from India, or how many black friends you have, somehow you're going to end up being a racist according to how the media portrays the white man as "racist whities".

All of this is funny because the white man is the one that is stereotyped as being racist, which is hypocrisy at its best. It's racist to assume that white men are racists.

If you don't get offended by racial insults, then you're apparently racist too, but an actual racist would get offended by it. When you hear a certain word too much (I'm sure we've all heard "cracka" hundreds of times thanks to standup comedy) then you become desensitized to it.

Well, that and the words white people get called sound stupid or non-offending. "cracker" came from cracking whips. Indiana Jones cracked whips too, and he was a badass. "honkey" sounds like some kind of gigantic sandwich, and "white boy" makes you seem like the lone white kid in breakdance movies that stands out amongst the other races and white kids. Most people only really think of rednecks when they think of "white trash" so they don't get offended by it if they're not rednecks.

Statistics guy: It was found out that the majority of blacks in America listen to hip hop---
    Overzealous guy: WTF YOU RACIST I HAVE A BLACK FRIEND THAT DOESN'T LISTEN TO HIP HOP
    Statistics guy: But I said the majority, meaning not all of th---
    Overzealous guy: YEAH WHATEVER HITLER

I'm a white man and I've never heard anyone call me a racist directly, or indirectly by saying all white men are racist.

Also, Indiana Jones used his whip for kick-ass purposes, and not for lashing slaves, which is not kick-ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

micropig wrote: »
    racist

If you're a white man, this is what you are. It doesn't even matter if your wife is black and you have an adopted child from India, or how many black friends you have, somehow you're going to end up being a racist according to how the media portrays the white man as "racist whities".

All of this is funny because the white man is the one that is stereotyped as being racist, which is hypocrisy at its best. It's racist to assume that white men are racists.

If you don't get offended by racial insults, then you're apparently racist too, but an actual racist would get offended by it. When you hear a certain word too much (I'm sure we've all heard "cracka" hundreds of times thanks to standup comedy) then you become desensitized to it.

Well, that and the words white people get called sound stupid or non-offending. "cracker" came from cracking whips. Indiana Jones cracked whips too, and he was a badass. "honkey" sounds like some kind of gigantic sandwich, and "white boy" makes you seem like the lone white kid in breakdance movies that stands out amongst the other races and white kids. Most people only really think of rednecks when they think of "white trash" so they don't get offended by it if they're not rednecks.

Statistics guy: It was found out that the majority of blacks in America listen to hip hop---
    Overzealous guy: WTF YOU RACIST I HAVE A BLACK FRIEND THAT DOESN'T LISTEN TO HIP HOP
    Statistics guy: But I said the majority, meaning not all of th---
    Overzealous guy: YEAH WHATEVER HITLER
    Who says a white person is automatically a racist because they're white? White westerners have it easier than any group in the world - I don't get the need to pretend we don't, just because there is more attention paid to racism against non whites than racism against whites. I wouldn't give a fuk about being called a cracker - it makes no difference to my life whatsoever.

• Advertisement

I'm a white man and I've never heard anyone call me a racist directly, or indirectly by saying all white men are racist.

Also, Indiana Jones used his whip for kick-ass purposes, and not for lashing slaves, which is not kick-ass.

You're a racist:p

Dudess wrote: »
    Who says a white person is automatically a racist because they're white? White westerners have it easier than any group in the world - I don't get the need to pretend we don't, just because there is more attention paid to racism against non whites than racism against whites. I wouldn't give a fuk about being called a cracker - it makes no difference to my life whatsoever.

The Urban Dictionary says, dats who cracker:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Unfortunately, your opinion on the Irish would seem to indicate that you are actually also an ignorant, bigoted idiot. Unless you'd like to clarify how your rancid self-hating vitriol wasn't racist for the class?
    Some people seem to think finding racism where it doesn't exist, insulting the proponent of such non racism, and putting down their own people aggressively (but of course not including themselves) is the height of enlightened, and not ironic/hypocritical at all. I don't see a difference between a hate-filled attack on one's own people and such an attack on another people. Conversely, I see nothing wrong with reasoned criticism of one's own people or those of another nation.

On this thread, only Jonjo has made a crude sweeping statement about an entire nationality, but Jonjo does that.

Nobody else has made the silly statement that Eastern Europeans are all cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

QUOTE]

Thats because you have never worked in a foreign country:rolleyes:
    Try and get a job in Africa,you will know all about it then:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

bwatson wrote: »
    All gestures of goodwill are gratefully recieved :) In no way am is it my intent to come across as abrasive or hostile, however it certainly does intrigue me that the moderator of the Republican and Nationalism forum would hold the view that the British and the Irish don't really count as foreign migrants when living and working in each other's country.

I don't necessarily agree with you but its certainly an interesting and thought-provoking viewpoint.

I used to work with an English woman who used to go on about all "the bloody foreigners around the place", this was in Castlebar. Given the history between the two nations I don't think it's surprising that British people don't really see Irish people as 'foreigners' and vice-versa. I've met British people who thought all of Ireland was still within the UK and others who were afraid to make phone calls in Belfast because they were under the assumption they were roaming. It's the experience of my friends who live in England that they are not really regarded as 'foreigners' either.

I used to work with an English woman who used to go on about all "the bloody foreigners around the place", this was in Castlebar.
    Uaa, my favourite! I love "better" foreigners giving out about "worse" foreigners, it can't get more pathetic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Old Tom wrote: »
    Uaa, my favourite! I love "better" foreigners giving out about "worse" foreigners, it can't get more pathetic :rolleyes:

i used to work with a irish lady that made a comment to me " bloody foreigners, why dont they piss off home where they came from" i reminded her that i was from wales, she said thats different, i asked why, ... it just is .... i found out over a year later she was born in manchester!!!! you really couldn't make it up sometimes!!!:D

i used to work with a irish lady that made a comment to me " bloody foreigners, why dont they piss off home where they came from" i reminded her that i was from wales, she said thats different, i asked why, ... it just is .... i found out over a year later she was born in manchester!!!! you really couldn't make it up sometimes!!!:D
    Quality :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

Depends on what you count as foreigners.. I wouldn't count anyone from the USA or Britain as foreigners, but anyone from Africa or Eastern Europe, most definitely.

Depends on what you count as foreigners.. I wouldn't count anyone from the USA or Britain as foreigners, but anyone from Africa or Eastern Europe, most definitely.
    Same with me - I don't consider red and blue to be colours, but yellow and gray, most definitely. :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Americans or Britons mightn't be visibly 'foreign', but they still are :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

And why is that? Be nice/interesting for you to expatiate on the reason/s why you would differentiate or class people as foreigners and others not, based on their nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Some amount of foreigners on the run from Irish prisons. On Prime Time there.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    And why is that? Be nice/interesting for you to expatiate on the reason/s why you would differentiate or class people as foreigners and others not, based on their nationality.

I think its just the whole English Speaking thing, Wouldn't really notice it as much I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I think its just the whole English Speaking thing, Wouldn't really notice it as much I suppose

So you would not have a problem if an immigrant speaks good english because I am not following. Or do they have to come from a particular country to satisfy a particular criterion.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    So you would not have a problem if an immigrant speaks good english because I am not following. Or do they have to come from a particular country to satisfy a particular criterion.

I dont have a problem, I just think they are so like us they dont seem like foreigners E.G. Same language and culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I dont have a problem, I just think they are so like us they dont seem like foreigners E.G. Same language and culture

We have the same culture as the Yanks and Brits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Foreigners if u are from the country any one is deemed a foreigner when they came from outside the county . My neighbour still calls the family down the road "blowins" and they have lived here 40 years ..
    Then again this is the republic of Cork , the real capital .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

Nodin wrote: »
    We have the same culture as the Yanks and Brits?
    More or less, I would say we do, yeah. It's not hard to see if you look around at how Americanised (Americanized?) this country has become in the last decade or two. I blame the media... :D

Granted, we still have many different cultural aspects too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement